Impact

Best Supporting Actor predictions-2016

3 minutes ago, slambros said:

The Golden Globes had some surprises in this category! Simon Helberg for Florence Foster Jenkins and Aaron Taylor Johnson for Nocturnal Animals!

Pretty sure those are a Golden Globes only thing (especially since Meryl is winning the CBDM award so they probably figured, "hey, let's nominate everyone from her movie!"). That said, Shannon and Grant are definitely looking even weaker now than before.

This category is a mess. Ali, Bridges, and Hedges are the only ones that feel safe in any capacity.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure those are a Golden Globes only thing (especially since Meryl is winning the CBDM award so they probably figured, "hey, let's nominate everyone from her movie!"). That said, Shannon and Grant are definitely looking even weaker now than before.

This category is a mess. Ali, Bridges, and Hedges are the only ones that feel safe in any capacity.

Why Grant? He's lead at the Globes.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Why Grant? He's lead at the Globes.

Because he was placed there only due to the category split in lead. He's being placed in Supporting at the Oscars.

But mostly because he has no real traction. He couldn't even overcome Ryan Reynolds in the Comedy Actor category at the BFCAs, of all places.

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think he's getting nominated and Lucas Hedges is getting shut out, unfortunately.

Yeah, I think Johnson is getting nominated for sure now, but someone is getting shut out for sure now. This is quite the shake up!

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think Hugh Grant might be snubbed. Florence Foster Jenkins has been performing very weakly at the guilds so far.

I think Grant is very much in now. Perfect coattail nomination to follow behind Streep, who is very much in after that speech last night.

BAFTA will be interesting now. If ATJ happens there (not impossible, since he is a previous nominee there), then Lucas Hedges is indeed getting Shailene Woodleyed.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Still not sure I buy this ATJ business. Might just be a weird globes thing. 

It's been 41 years since the winner in Supporting Actor at the Globes didn't get an Oscar nomination. It was one thing he got nominated and we all laughed at Golden Globe Nominee ATJ, but that he won...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's been 41 years since the winner in Supporting Actor at the Globes didn't get an Oscar nomination. It was one thing he got nominated and we all laughed at Golden Globe Nominee ATJ, but that he won...

That's just setting yourself up for a snub. :P

Mahershala Ali for Moonlight
Jeff Bridges for Hell or High Water

Lucas Hedges for Manchester by the Sea

Dev Patel for Lion

Aaron Taylor-Johnson for Nocturnal Animals

Alt: Hugh Grant for Florence Foster Jenkins

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This category is a complete clusterfuck.

Ali is the favorite but lacks the Brits

Bridges has the old white guys

Shannon has the NA fans

Patel has the Brits and possibly more

i think it's just Ali and Patel. I know you really want bridges to happen, but yeah no. also ALLL those fans for the movie that got one nomination? yeah ok.