chasmmi

Chasmmi's Top Rundown of 2015 from worst to best - Time to release 7th up to 4th, I predict 2 yays, 1 huh? and 1 $%@! from the viewing public :D

I just realized I never listed my Top 10 of 2015. Not to take away from @chasmmi's thread but it was...

Spoiler

1. Inside Out

2. Room

3. Spotlight

4. Mad Max: Fury Road

5. The Martian

6. Sicario

7. The Big Short

8. Carol

9. Ex Machina

10. Trainwreck

We now return to our regular programming.

• Like 2

12th

Antman.png

Spoiler

Antman

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 83-88/100

Actual Score - 95/100

So it turns out that my favourite Superhero film of 2015 was Antman, who'dda Thunk it?

I've said eleventy times already that I am a big fan of fun and this film was really really fun. Hilarious even. Arguably the funniest MCU film I have seen to date. Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas are both excellent in their roles as Antmen and yeah there are some of the usual Marvel issues like throwaway villainitis, but this is someties kind of forgivable in origin stories as it is the hero which you want to develop, not the bad guy that will be done with once the film is over.

This film is so much fun and I love it for that. It also built a platform for some of the best parts of Civil War also in my opinion so I really cannot wait to see how this character progresses in Infinity War and the Antman sequel (s?). But this was a nice surprise hit in my books.

11th

Unfriended.png

Spoiler

-Unfriended

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 50-60/100

Actual Score - 95/100

Finally I really nailed a poster :D 

Yeah, so it turns out there was one low budget horror film I loved and thought was kind of genius last year. It just wasn't the one everyone else here raved about. This film is done so well that it will likely start a micro-genre in the way that Blair Witch did with found footage. It's no where near as ground=breaking as Blair of course, but the film is so well done and so effective in my book, I can't help but expect 122 copycats a year to turn up.

The story here is simple, the effects cheap and the budget as mentioned - non-existent but this film really sucked me in. I can honestly say I wasn't bored for a second and the tricks and games of the 'killer' caused a decent amount of genuine tension. Keeping everything combined to one screen the whole film made things so close and claustrophobic that I couldn't help but be taken on the journey this film wanted to tell.

It won't be for everyone, but I can't help but admire this film and what it pulled off.

• Like 2

10th

Goosebumps.png

-

Spoiler

Goosebumps

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 65-75/100

Actual Score - 95/100

I was hoping this was going to be good, but I wasn't expecting it to be. But actually, this film was great. In a quirk of fate, I have seen this film more times than all but one other 2015 film to date and it holds up really well to multiple viewings.

Jack Black is exceptional and the film is made in such a fun way that you can tell people really enjoyed themselves making this. Slappy is pretty cool as well obviously and even the love interest side story was done really well.

One of the most underrated films of last year and really really worth a view.  

• Like 1

9th

Kingsman.png

Spoiler

Kingsman

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 80-85/100

Actual Score - 95/100

And we are continuing with fun. I do promise that I can like the occasional dramatic 'good' film at times, but 2015 was dominated by fun times for me and this was the epitomy as that. Colin Firth is a legend, Jackson's villain is ridiculous in how great it is and Egerton is just well.. a break out star.

This was the Johnny English/James Bond crossover we were all hoping for and it was done so so well. Cannot wait for the sequel and hope that they can keep it up.

• Like 2

8th

Hotel_Transylvania_2.png

Spoiler

Hotel Transylvania

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 60-65/100

Actual Score - 96/100

I only watched this film to knock Good Dinosaur out of my top 5 animated films of the year. In fact I hunted down the first one in order to watch that first and get an idea of the story and I was generally dreading watching them both.

But both are brilliant. They are cute stories with a surprising amount of heart. I have genuinely not been this surprised by the quality of an animated film since Book of Life (note to all: WATCH BOOK OF LIFE). Sandler is great in this, the supporting cast is great in this and it really builds on the set up from film one and creates a universe I could happily return to again.

I think I may actually put Hotel Transylvania as a series above the Despicable Mes (Zombies FTW too :D)

• Like 1

7th

Spy.png

Spoiler

Spy

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 70-75/100

Actual Score - 96/100

I am not a big fan of McCarthy all the time, but at the same time appreciate that she can be one hilarious woman and she showed it here by starring in the funniest film of the year. Admittedly she is the 3rd funniest thing in the film after Statham and Byrne, but its just so nice to watch a genuinely funny film. And the best spy film in a year of strong spy films to boot.

One thing I really liked here was that McCarthy's character is actually really good at what she does. I went into this worried it would turn into Johnny English but with a foul mouthed American woman instead. It was far from that, the story was fun, the plot decent and the comedy spot on. I really really enjoyed this and would love to see a sequel too actually.

Watch it.

• Like 2

6th

Creed.png

Spoiler

Creed

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 80-90/100

Actual Score - 96/100

Talk about a film I wanted to be good. This was the return of Rocky and regardless of my optimism, it was hard to believe this could come close to matching Rocky Balboa in the Rocky comeback states. Well amazingly enough.. it did. I still place Balboa slightly higher, but I am happy to have this as the 3rd best Rocky film and thus the 3rd best boxing film ever.

Jordan is excellent as Creed, Stallone is awesome as Rocky and in fact every character played their part to near perfection. I wanted to like this film and I got something that almost matched my wildest dreams. The fight scenes are amazing, the story is great and the Rocky / Creed dynamic is something I really hope we get to return to.

• Like 2

5th

Inside_OUt.png

Spoiler

Inside Out

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 80-90/100

Actual Score - 97/100

Pixar is feast or famine for me. The Incredibles, Toy Story etc are pretty great. However Finding Nemo and Good Dinosaur are awful. THis film is in the former category for me. Top 5 Pixar in my book. The story is pretty great, it is risky and has that great Pixar mix of comedy and tragedy and sadness.

The characters are great, hooray for Anger :) The end credits are the highlight of the film and I have watched this film 6 times since release which is a lot for me in this day and age. Fantastic animated film, would be the best of the year in many years I could argue and there's not much more to say about that :) 

• Like 3

4th

MOckingjay.png

Spoiler

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 2

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 90-95/100

Actual Score - 97/100

Yeah so this will not be controversial. :) Catching Fire was my favourite film of its year. Mockingjay 1 was great in my book also. This was the clear 2nd best in the series for me. I loved the build up, the propaganda machine, the change in motives, and the way everything came together. 

I even enjoy the drawn out ending, I like the way things wrap up and slowly return to something of a normality (yes I know I have an extreme opposite opinion regard ROTK). I was always onboard with this story from start to finish once I started watching the films and this was a finale I was happy to wait for. Yes I will concede that there is potentially an even better 150 minute film hidden within the two separate films but overall I just really love this film and am one of the 7 people out there that believe that the franchise stuck the landing.

And its my list so Nyah!!!!  

On 5/19/2016 at 2:20 PM, chasmmi said:

4th

MOckingjay.png

Hide contents

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 2

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 90-95/100

Actual Score - 97/100

Yeah so this will not be controversial. :) Catching Fire was my favourite film of its year. Mockingjay 1 was great in my book also. This was the clear 2nd best in the series for me. I loved the build up, the propaganda machine, the change in motives, and the way everything came together. 

I even enjoy the drawn out ending, I like the way things wrap up and slowly return to something of a normality (yes I know I have an extreme opposite opinion regard ROTK). I was always onboard with this story from start to finish once I started watching the films and this was a finale I was happy to wait for. Yes I will concede that there is potentially an even better 150 minute film hidden within the two separate films but overall I just really love this film and am one of the 7 people out there that believe that the franchise stuck the landing.

And its my list so Nyah!!!!  

Wow!!!  One of the worst movies of all time.  Shame on you Chas.  

3rd

The_Big_Short.png

Spoiler

The Big Short

Anticipated /Expected Score - About 80-85/100

Actual Score - 97/100

There is always at least one Oscar heavy film each year that I end up really really liking. Usually due to it being a story that was so great to tell in the first place and the actors and directors pulled of the execution great also. (last year that was Imitation Game and Gone Girl). I really was not expecting The Big short to be the one to do it this year.

Loving a film like Imitation Game is easy. It's an amazing story and that gives it a head start before you even start casting. Yes sometimes you get a Monuments Men, but overall, there is a reason people gravitate to Biopics and true stories for their Oscar Contenders. The Big story is a great story in the sense of the enormity of the event itself and how these few people saw it coming, but it is not an interesting story. NOBODY wants to watch a film about the housing markets and investing.

But this film found a way to not only make this not boring, but actively engaging and interesting. The acting from everyone is great (even if Carrell clearly should have got the acting Nom not Bale) and there are moment and sparks of genius filmmaking scattered throughout. The best film about investing in real estate you will ever see :) 

• Like 1