Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Appealing characters, terrific visuals, and clever writing make for a thoroughly winning entry into the Disney canon. Many parts had me laughing very out loud while others were quite touching in the way they explored the self doubts of people burdened with stereotypes.

In retrospect the villain was pretty obvious but I didn't mind it. The movie's message was the point more than the intrigue of the mystery, and it executes it very well.

• Like 3

I saw it and it continued the great run of WDAS movies! The animation, score, and voice acting were all fantastic. The story was kind of predictable, but the social message  about discrimination & prejudice of race told through the animals way so smartly done that it made up for any predictability the movie may have had. I also really enjoyed the Hops/Nick relationship as I thought both characters played off each other really well. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it actually. 

I give it an....

A

Edited by Empire
  • Like 2

I was so relieved they didn't take the "Nick goes savage towards Judy" route for the climax. That would have been very cliche. People last June were saying that would happen. Anyways, I give this and A+. I'll elaborate later :)

• Like 1

The fakeout at the climax is pretty hilarious

I know I said before that I really hoped the movie wouldn't ship the two (and I'm still glad it didn't), but the characters do have a terrific chemistry so I won't begrudge any DeviantArtists who choose to go that route

• Like 3

"Silence of the Lambs" meets "Kung Fu Panda" to make a Disney Masterpiece. That might seem utterly bizarre, yet it's accurate. Directors Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Jared Bush have delivered an astonishing film.

Zootopia starts off in ruthless fashion, depicting the death of a rabbit to a fearsome predator. That this is the setup to the school play makes no difference: The satire throughout the rest of the movie is just as brutal.

Judy Hopps (voiced by Ginnifer Goodwin) defies social norms when she becomes the first rabbit police officer in the city of Zootopia, where history was made when predator and prey learned to co-exist in peace. Still, old bigotries persist, and there is an undercurrent of resentment among the species.

Being stereotyped as docile and weak, Judy is assigned parking duty. In order to further her career, Hopps blackmails a con-artist fox named Nick Wilde (voice of Jason Bateman) into assisting the investigation of the mysterious disappearance of Emmet Otterton, who is one of 14 predators who have gone missing. Time is of the essence, for if Judy does not solve the case in two days, she will be pressured to resign her new job.

I dare not give away more of the plot. Even so, I had the story spoiled for me before I saw this film, and I was still enthralled by the wondrous and dangerous world of this film. This is an adult movie: There may be no curse words used, but this sober and grim tale is aimed directly at mature audiences. And while it is sober and grim, it is also hilarious and moving. It's all in the dialogue, in which the characters use elevated speech that will go over the heads of young children.

For example, Judy tells Nick when they first meet, "You an articulate, good fox," to which Nick replies "And you are the least patronizing animal I've met."

And speaking of young children, they probably shouldn't attend this film. There are scenes of violence and menace that might leave 6- year-old kids wailing. The snappy one-liners and uproarious sight gags won't calm them down. Anyone who is mature and over the age of 9 should be able to handle this film, though.

In short, if you love movies, you should see this production. It is among the best work that Disney has ever made, and it is one of the most exhilarating films I have ever seen.

That's my long form review.

• Like 1

I'm surprised most people are saying the message was very pro-diversity without addressing that the movie is also very pro-cop.

It's probably one of the most pro-cop kids movies I've ever seen.

Anyway, I loved the movie. The expressions of the animal characters were so well executed and the jokes were sharp enough to make most adults laugh out loud.

I know it won't have the success of Frozen but I'll be very happy with Lego the Movie or Despicable Me level success.

Spoiler

Also, the assistant mayor sheep was totally Donald Trump. :jeb!:

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm surprised most people are saying the message was very pro-diversity without addressing that the movie is also very pro-cop.

It's probably one of the most pro-cop kids movies I've ever seen.

Anyway, I loved the movie. The expressions of the animal characters were so well executed and the jokes were sharp enough to make most adults laugh out loud.

I know it won't have the success of Frozen but I'll be very happy with Lego the Movie or Despicable Me level success.

Reveal hidden contents

Cops themselves are kind of controversial. I guess it's different if it's non-human cops. I did see some discussion of the trailer that asked in jest "What's the Ferguson of Zootopia?"

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A beautifully-animated and very funny feature that pays homage to film noir while also effectively addressing very much relevant topics like prejudice and bullying. Definitely high-tier Disney. A-

What keeps it from being the very best?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I wouldn't say the movie was overtly celebrating law enforcement. It shows them to have the same problems as everyone else in Zootopia. Judy and Clawhauser are treated with sympathy but the system ends up working against both of them.

The movie made becoming a cop seem like the best thing in the world.

I'm pretty sure plenty of kids walked out the theater wanting to become a cop themselves.

Um, I'll just have to disagree there. I mean, it didn't make it look like an unworthy profession, but Judy had to deal with a lot of shit to get anyone to take her seriously, and when they finally did she screwed the whole thing up. It's not all about goody good heroics and protecting the people. There's politics involved too and it's really difficult to maintain that balance.

Spoiler

The bunny spends the whole movie wanting to become a cop and then prove herself as a cop. Even the crook Fox ends up proving himself and joining the police force.

It's like saying kids wouldn't want to be Spider-man or Batman after their origin movies because they faced adversity. Of course kids want to overcome those problems and become a superhero just like the main characters.

I mean the ending...

Spoiler

Has the Fox go through a big ceremony where he's considered a hero and accepted as a police officer. The bunny hands him the badge. Her parents are extremely proud. They become partners and finally get an exciting mission which is all the bunny really wanted.

It's pretty clear the message is cops are the heroes of the story and were vindicated by becoming cops they always wanted to be.

I'm not sure how you can watch the last twenty minutes and say the message was mixed about the police.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

What's so great about this movie is that it explores its heavy topics in a much more effective and subtle way that feels very much real, more so than most live-action films do.

Take, for instance, the flashback to when Nick was a child and went to become a boy scout only for the other scouts to push him to the ground and put a muzzle over his mouth. Who hasn't witnessed that moment firsthand?

• Like 2