#ED

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice (2016)  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

C

I inwardly chuckled at the nods to the criticisms of city leveling that occurred during MOS

"Why did you draw him back to the city?"  

- Wonder Woman to Batman

"The island is inhabited."

- Soldier stating this after Doomsday crashed back to Earth 

• Like 3

Well.... I saw this film, and if I could sum it up in one sentence, it fabricates an intricate web for 2 acts only to pull the thread and unravel the entire film in the third act.

I'll start of with what I liked

1.The Batman stuff during the first two acts was actually well done.  Definitely the best part about the movie

2.The movie is gorgeous to look at, even if it's a little overly bleak in visual tone.  Also, Hans Zimmer delivered a pretty good score.  I didn't love the score, but it was pretty good. 

3.Wonder Woman is cool, albeit she seems unnecessary in this overly convoluted film, but she was definitely a welcome unnecessary addition.

4.The set up is pretty cool, but the pay-off for the set up is terrible.  Plus, the set up never feels complete, it just seems like Snyder went "Oh we hit the hour and a half mark, I guess we better initiate destruction despite how abrupt it actually is for the film."

5."Do you bleed?" Was a pretty awesome one liner.

And now for the fun part.... My problems with the movie

1.Jesse Eisenberg plays a second-rate Joker in this movie, not Lex Luthor.  

2.Doomsday was an ugly, boring plot device to give the trinity something to fight and so Superman can die as abruptly and unemotionally as Gwen Stacy dies in TASM2.

3.The revelation of "Martha" that makes Batman and Superman all of the sudden best buds is one of the most idiotic plot reveals I've seen in a major blockbuster in a long time.  "Oh, our mothers had the same first name?  I'm just going to let go of all of my grudges and be your friend now!"

4.There are so many narrative jumps where information is obviously missing but they had to cut it out for time reasons.  The entire narrative is rather incohesive and pretentious.  It's also incredibly uneven, the film moves to slow yet to fast all at the same time and it's mostly because they try to cram in more plot than War and Peace within 2 and a half hours.

5.The fight between Batman and Superman that the movie is titled after?  It's pretty uninspiring.  Batman shoots superman with Kryptonite, kicks him around a bit, gets punched a few times, scratches Superman with a spear and then cries mommy.  It felt like a battle of two pathetic whiners.

I think I've hit my main points about the film.  There's moments of greatness, moments of mediocreness, and a whole lot of overstuffed horseshit.  The movie tries to be everything in two hours and in the process gives you nothing.

D+

Edited by The Panda Knight
  • Like 8

Here's my add-on after contemplating a bit more.  Not a review, just a lament for how this movie put another nail into my childhood.

As a child, characters like Batman and Superman were heroes.  Different kinds, yes, but they were inspiring, fun, and gave me hope to make a difference in the world.  Sure, not everything I ever watched about them was of the best quality, heck even I could tell Batman and Robin was a monstrosity as a child.  But the characters always represented the same things, the same ideals, the same morals, and despite the adaption you could always feel uplifted by the end of an episode, comic, or film that despite your heroes flaws, they were still heroes.

This movie strips that away and has left me feeling sad.  Man of Steel did something similar, but not to this extent.  Snyder didn't kill superman when Doomsday stabs him with his ugly spike, Snyder killed Superman when he turned him into a cold, heartless, and lifeless character that is just a bare skeleton of what the glory day Christopher Reeves superman once was.  He took Batman and made him soulless, yes the character was always dark, but the more I think about it, the more I was saddened to seeing the character stripped down to nothing but a merciless orphaned killer with cool gadgets.  As if the only thing to the character was a hollow shell.  The humans of Bruce Wayne and Kal El are non-existent in this movie, and it saddens you a little.

Yes, I'm adult, I can move on from my childhood being stomped on, but it doesn't make the after-experience just a little stinging.  Poor quality movies are inevitable, yes.  But libel of such iconic characters is feeling more and more unforgivable by the minute.

Snyder has delivered movies I have absolutely hated in the past, but this is the first time I left one of his movies just feeling sad.  

My first review I was trying to look at my first impressions and ignored how the film left me down.  I just reviewed how I normally do, but then I realized I needed to post something else.  Because I needed to come to terms with the fact that Snyder has killed hope and inspiration for the sake of edginess.

Within an hour I've already decided to lower my grade to a D-, it may go further down.

Edited by The Panda Knight
  • Like 3

For those following my continued analytical breakdown of this movie (accompanied by my continued mental breakdown), here's Part 3. Be warned though. If Part 2 had me at my most calm and analytical, this has me at my most rage-filled. The stuff I covered here was really bad. And for reasons you might not see coming.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2016 at 4:18 AM, Orestes said:

The worst thing about all this is that I feel like Cavill could make a really great Superman if these movies were made by someone that actually liked Superman.

Agreed 1000%.   I think he would be considered the best Supes ever if anyone would give him something to do with the character.

4 hours ago, The Panda Knight said:

5.The fight between Batman and Superman that the movie is titled after?  It's pretty uninspiring.  Batman shoots superman with Kryptonite, kicks him around a bit, gets punched a few times, scratches Superman with a spear and then cries mommy.  It felt like a battle of two pathetic whiners.

Batman shoots him TWICE.    Somehow Supes is too dumb to figure out he should easily dodge it the second time.    Batman's super power is apparently causing people around him to become incredibly stupid so he can look smart.    Kinda like the guy he was talking to on the phone at the beginning who was too dumb to figure out he should have the people leave the building until Bruce Wayne told him to do it.

• Like 5

Wow, the people here... who the hell goes to a movie just to write thousands upon thousands of words on what they think went wrong, critics aside? I mean, just to notice every single one of those details you must've been really really focused on that and it made you miss the entire film. Of course the movie was a chore to sit through. People go to movies to enjoy themselves... or most people do. What's the point in paying for a movie just to look for flaws every second of it? And if you do that with every movie how do you find a movie you actually enjoy? Is there really any movie that doesn't bother you?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, James said:

Wow, the people here... who the hell goes to a movie just to write thousands upon thousands of words on what they think went wrong, critics aside? I mean, just to notice every single one of those details you must've been really really focused on that and it made you miss the entire film. Of course the movie was a chore to sit through. People go to movies to enjoy themselves... or most people do. What's the point in paying for a movie just to look for flaws every second of it? And if you do that with every movie how do you find a movie you actually enjoy? Is there really any movie that doesn't bother you?

Hmm. Surprised it took this long to get a silly comment like this. Significantly not surprised it was from you though. Can't help but notice you're not actually bothering to rebuff any of my points on the movie and are instead pointing all your insults towards me as a person, but I'm not really surprised about that either.

But allow me to enlighten you as to why I noticed all those details. I'm a writer (at least in training). Someone who crafts stories for a living. Someone who wants to craft good stories. And, to craft good stories, it is important to understand story structure and what makes a story tick. And one of the best ways you learn about such things is by watching other media, both good and bad. So yes, I went into BvS with an analytical mindset. Because I go into all movies with an analytical mindset. And you know what else? I genuinely enjoy most movies I see. I recognise when they have problems, yes, but I reckon about 90% of movies I see I walk out of with positive feelings towards. That's even been the case with movies I've expected to hate or got terrible reviews, like TASM2 and TF4, so this movie doesn't get away on that front. (Hell, in my review, I actually talked about moments that actually did work for me in BvS, even if they were drowned out by the pile of drizzled dogshit that was the rest of the movie). Plus I've openly enjoyed other films from both DC and from Snyder so it's not like this was a sure thing for me to hate.

As for why I chose this movie to write this review on, sometimes you can learn just as much from dissecting a bad movie as you can a good movie. Recognising when something doesn't work and understanding why, can help you avoid similar mistakes in your own works. BvS provides a rare opportunity because it's a movie that so consistently doesn't work and provides me plenty to write about. I couldn't write a similar essay on something like Die Hard 5, despite that movie being just as bad in my eyes, because it's just a standard kind of bad. BvS isn't just bad, it's incompetent on every storytelling level. The points I'm bringing up aren't nitpicks, like you seem to imply they are, they're flaws that permeate the very core of the movie. If you take the time to properly analyse it, it's fairly hard to deny that BvS is, whether you enjoyed it or not, at the very least a poorly told movie. Of course, the key thing to understand is that 'Admitting a movie had flaws doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it.' I actually do like Jurassic World as a movie, but I completely understand and agree with the reasoning behind those who criticise it. If you liked BvS regardless of the flaws, cool, more power to you. That doesn't mean you can throw a tantrum when someone else points them out.

But, most importantly, I do this because I enjoy writing. And, even if it's for all the wrong reasons, I enjoy writing about this movie. The characters and concept are things I'm very interested in, have strong opinions on and I felt were gotten infuriatingly wrong. Even if the movie itself is duller than dogshit, being able to dismantle it and show on every level why it doesn't work is something I get a kick out of, as well as being a valuable learning experience. So I don't care if you think it's stupid because I'm not really doing it for you. People like you and Napoleon obviously weren't going to change your views on this movie regardless. That said, I'm perfectly happy to debate you on any specific objective points you disagreed with in my reviews, provided you give a solid argument first. After all, being able to have multiple perspectives on a movie is always useful. Even if you like/dislike a movie, hearing arguments from the opposite is always educational and can heighten your learning experience and should not be dismissed out of hand. 

Just don't be a prick and write a stupid comment complaining that someone might dislike a movie you do.

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

• Like 11

1 minute ago, rukaio101 said:

Hmm. Surprised it took this long to get a silly comment like this. Significantly not surprised it was from you though. Can't help but notice you're not actually bothering to rebuff any of my points on the movie and are instead pointing all your insults towards me as a person, but I'm not really surprised about that either.

But allow me to enlighten you as to why I noticed all those details. I'm a writer (at least in training). Someone who crafts stories for a living. Someone who wants to craft good stories. And, to craft good stories, it is important to understand story structure and what makes a story tick. And one of the best ways you learn about such things is by watching other media, both good and bad. So yes, I went into BvS with an analytical mindset. Because I go into all movies with an analytical mindset. And you know what else? I genuinely enjoy most movies I see. I recognise when they have problems, yes, but I reckon about 90% of movies I see I walk out of with positive feelings towards. That's even been the case with movies I've expected to hate or got terrible reviews, like TASM2 and TF4, so this movie doesn't get away on that front. (Hell, in my review, I actually talked about moments that actually did work for me in BvS, even if they were drowned out by the pile of drizzled dogshit that was the rest of the movie). Plus I've openly enjoyed other films from both DC and from Snyder so it's not like this was a sure thing for me to hate.

As for why I chose this movie to write this review on, sometimes you can learn just as much from dissecting a bad movie as you can a good movie. Recognising when something doesn't work and understanding why, can help you avoid similar mistakes in your own works. BvS provides a rare opportunity because it's a movie that so consistently doesn't work and provides me plenty to write about. I couldn't write a similar essay on something like Die Hard 5, despite that movie being just as bad in my eyes, because it's just a standard kind of bad. BvS isn't just bad, it's incompetent on every storytelling level. The points I'm bringing up aren't nitpicks, like you seem to imply they are, they're flaws that permeate the very core of the movie. If you take the time to properly analyse it, it's fairly hard to deny that BvS is, whether you enjoyed it or not, at the very least a poorly told movie. Of course, the key thing to understand is that 'Admitting a movie had flaws doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it.' I actually do like Jurassic World as a movie, but I completely understand and agree with the reasoning behind those who criticise it. If you liked BvS regardless of the flaws, cool, more power to you. That doesn't mean you can throw a tantrum when someone else points them out.

But, most importantly, I do this because I enjoy writing. And, even if it's for all the wrong reasons, I enjoy writing about this movie. The characters and concept are things I'm very interested in, have strong opinions on and I felt were gotten infuriatingly wrong. Even if the movie itself is duller than dogshit, being able to dismantle it and show on every level why it doesn't work is something I get a kick out of, as well as being a valuable learning experience. So I don't care if you think it's stupid because I'm not really doing it for you. People like you and Napoleon obviously weren't going to change your views on this movie regardless. That said, I'm perfectly happy to debate you on any specific objective points you disagreed with in my reviews, provided you give a solid argument first. After all, being able to have multiple perspectives on a movie is always useful. Even if you like/dislike a movie, hearing arguments from the opposite is always educational and can heighten your learning experience and should not be dismissed out of hand. 

Just don't be a prick and write a stupid comment complaining that someone might dislike a movie you do.

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

My comment wasn't directed at you, but at 20% of the people here, so you can take a chill pill. And I'm an aspiring writer as well, and guess what, I don't need to nitpick over every aspect of a movie. Saying a movie is good is as subjective as saying a painting is nice. Storytelling alone doesn't do shit, if it is not combined with a bunch of other elements. I went to the movie with another writer and she seemed to enjoy it just fine. And I actually prefer a movie that doesn't follow a linear line, but challenges big themes than one which just is there, made by following a "how to". 

Fact is, most 90% of the SH movies coming out in the last 10 years are so pathetic in terms of storytelling in makes your brain hurt, but I haven't seen you rant about them.

And finally, I don't have a problem with people that disliked the movie. I have a problem with people that over analyze every little bit of it, whether in a positive or negative manner. Movies, just like books, are made to be enjoyed. If you fail to understand that basic rule of entertainment then that is your problem.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, James said:

My comment wasn't directed at you, but at 20% of the people here, so you can take a chill pill. And I'm an aspiring writer as well, and guess what, I don't need to nitpick over every aspect of a movie. Saying a movie is good is as subjective as saying a painting is nice. Storytelling alone doesn't do shit, if it is not combined with a bunch of other elements. I went to the movie with another writer and she seemed to enjoy it just fine. And I actually prefer a movie that doesn't follow a linear line, but challenges big themes than one which just is there, made by following a "how to". 

Fact is, most 90% of the SH movies coming out in the last 10 years are so pathetic in terms of storytelling in makes your brain hurt, but I haven't seen you rant about them.

And finally, I don't have a problem with people that disliked the movie. I have a problem with people that over analyze every little bit of it, whether in a positive or negative manner. Movies, just like books, are made to be enjoyed. If you fail to understand that basic rule of entertainment then that is your problem.   

So, I'ma take as a 'no' on the 'Shall we have a reasoned debate on the actual points of the movie rather than complain about each other' side then? Ignore it is then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

I don't sit down and watch for flaws, I just notice them when I'm watching.  Kind of a silly comment to make, I could say the same thing to your comments of a movie you didn't like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Panda Knight said:

I don't sit down and watch for flaws, I just notice them when I'm watching.  Kind of a silly comment to make, I could say the same thing to your comments of a movie you didn't like.

Yeah... and the action packed 3rd act made me forget a lot of the issues I had with the 1st 2 acts that I remembered when reading the spoiler/review threads.

Last night I would have rated this a 'C'.  After sleeping on it I realize it's a 'D' to me.

Wonder Woman was the best part of the movie.  That's an issue when you consider she was a minor character.

This really feels like it was multiple scripts mashed together.

I believe that TDKR and a MOS sequel were going to be separate movies but they decided to combine them.  WW was obviously added to promote her movie and bring in woman viewers. ( worked in my wife's case )

The other JL cameos were added to promote JL.

'A mess' has been used the describe this movie and it fits.

I hope WB gives me a good reason to buy the Blu-Ray so I get a chance to watch it again.  ( maybe an extended bathtub scene? ) 

• Like 5

• Community Manager

After thinking hard about it, I have decided to lower my grade from B/B- straight down to a C-. I kinda don't like this movie.

Which is so strange. It's very easy for a superhero movie to please me! I'm a huge fan of the genre, I generally like MoS, but the more I think about it, the more I realized I didn't actually enjoy Batman vs. Superman.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

After thinking hard about it, I have decided to lower my grade from B/B- straight down to a C-. I kinda don't like this movie.

Which is so strange. It's very easy for a superhero movie to please me! I'm a huge fan of the genre, I generally like MoS, but the more I think about it, the more I realized I didn't actually enjoy Batman vs. Superman.

I actually think I liked Green Lantern marginally more than this. Marginally.

As incoherent and inexplicable as any major film I've seen in years. At one point, I was so confused by character motivations and actions that I said "What the fuck is happening?" out loud to myself in the middle of a crowded theater. There is zero development to the concept or the plots. Has Batman been a famous figure for years? Did he just start? Why are we just talking about this now? What the fuck was Lex's plan? How did he possibly think any of that would work? What the hell was happening in general? Here's what I will say: it was a noble failure. Unlike.....some blockbusters of last year, not to name names.....this did not feel like everyone showed up out of contractual obligation and then made a C-level TV episode. They really tried here to make this big, epic movie. And they failed. But you know what? I'll take a noble failure over lazy mediocrity any day. So I will give this movie that. But sheesh....man, this movie had PROBLEMS with a capital P. 

Also, that "Do you bleed? You will!" felt like a line out of a Mortal Kombat game. The writing of Batman v Superman's fight scenes was like this...

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Its cause you were sitting next to me, I transferred my negitve energy to you 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Its cause you were sitting next to me, I transferred my negitve energy to you 

It's cause you wore a Star Wars shirt rather than a Batman shirt I bet!  Didn't put us in the right mood for a whole bunch of grim bullshitting. :P

• Like 3