Plain Old Tele

NUKE IT FROM ORBIT - The Marvel/DC Kobayashi Maru Thread - BVS vs CIVIL WAR (for masochists only) | SPOILERS ALLOWED

8 hours ago, Kalo said:

Wow, people are having civilized discussions about power, corruption morality, and the human will to do good over evil. and not belittling and insulting one another and starting flame wars. beautiful. 

Something tells me this thread will quickly descend into madness once both films are out. Then again I was sure it would descend straight away, maybe this is just a better forum than other ones that I frequent.

• Like 1

Time to bring some chaos

SPIDERMAN IS A JUST CHIDLREN'S DEADPOOL

CAPTAIN AMERICA IS A BOY SCOUT WITH NO CHARACTER

SUPERMAN IS A LAME MARY SUE

WONDERWOMAN IS A GIRL SHE CANT BE SUPER

BATMAN IS LAME AND UNORIGINAL

IRONMAN IS JUST A POOR MANS BATMAN RIP OFF

LOLOL ANT-MAN, WHAT'S NEXT, BEE MAN?? LOLOL

WAR MACHINE?  DOOMSDAY?  COME UP WITH BETTER NAMES THAT DONT SOUND LIKE AN EMO 18 YEAR OLD MANCHILD CAME UP WITH IN HIS MOTHERS BASEMENT

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Something tells me this thread will quickly descend into madness once both films are out. Then again I was sure it would descend straight away, maybe this is just a better forum than other ones that I frequent.

They have excellent moderators, that enforce strong no personal attack polices, and encourages serious film enthusiasts to have meaningful discussions and civil debates with one another. which helps keep the trolls at bay.     

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Time to bring some chaos

WAR MACHINE?  DOOMSDAY?  COME UP WITH BETTER NAMES THAT DONT SOUND LIKE AN EMO 18 YEAR OLD MANCHILD CAME UP WITH IN HIS MOTHERS BASEMENT

4830053-2810590980-tumbl.gif

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

I could see where you're coming from with the Pa Kent thing, but honestly they would only need to tweak one scene, the infamous "...maybe" one. Because there are couple of other great Pa Kent/Clark moments right. For example, the conversation with "why I can't I keep pretending to be your son?", and the later one where Clark talks about wanting to hit the other kid are both great examples of classic comic book Pa Kent that most people don't have a problem with. They now go unnoticed, which is a shame, they were decent scenes.

Actually, I would completely agree the bolded moment was a really good moment between Pa Kent and Clark that made them both feel actually human and like father and son. One of the best non-action moments in the movie. The problem is, that's pretty much the only moment like that in the entire movie. They don't even make it through the entire scene before Pa Kent's robot programming kicks back in and he goes straight back into his pseudophilosophising that sounds like nothing any real person would say. Not to mention, despite being one of the only few good moments in the movie, it actively undermines a huge other part of the movie. Specifically, the idea that Clark is supposed to be trying to find out who he is, human or alien. The problem is you just answered that question! If he's satisfied with 'being [Pa Kent's] son' then why the wangsty quest for answers? Maybe it would be somewhat understandable if Clark remembered that father/son moment when coming to his conclusion on who he is (if he ever actually came to one) but no, to the best of my memory, it never comes up again. And this leads me to a greater question. What about Clark's current life is supposed to make him no longer satisfied with being Pa Kent's son? Why would he leave? What are his motivations for this journey of wangsting? In John Byrne's 'Man of Steel' comic book (an excellent read, fyi), he goes on a similar quest, but he has motivations and goals for it. He believes he's wasting his powers staying in Smallville and wants to go out and help people (albeit, for the moment, in secret). And does so. There's no comparable motivation for the movie where he decides to leave Smallville because... some reason. So he can do... something. And this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say MoS's characterisation is terrible.

As for the 'Clark wants to hit the other kid' scene, it's a nice scene in premise but was horribly executed (aka, the movie in a nutshell). Partly because it's filled with more stupid Pa Kent pseudophilosophising but mostly because there's absolutely no point to it. Seriously, you could cut that scene entirely from the movie and it wouldn't change a thing. It doesn't add new dimensions to Clark and Pa Kent's relationship, it doesn't offer us new insights into their character. The most it tells us is that kid Clark doesn't want to hurt anyone. Which is something true of adult Clark that we'd already figured out from his present day scenes and/or is normal human morality. We've seen absolutely nothing indicating Clark has changed character-wise in any way since this scene so why show it to us? And this scene is especially frustrating for me because it could easily become great with one simple change. Have Clark injure the bullies. Have him lash out in a moment of anger and accidentally badly hurt someone. Have him realise the horror and damage his powers can cause in a moment of weakness and why he needs to be careful with them. And have him grow into a better person as a result. As it is, this scene changes nothing, adds nothing and means nothing. 

36 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Time to bring some chaos

I respectfully and politely disagree with you. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

I could see where you're coming from with the Pa Kent thing, but honestly they would only need to tweak one scene, the infamous "...maybe" one. Because there are couple of other great Pa Kent/Clark moments right. For example, the conversation with "why I can't I keep pretending to be your son?", and the later one where Clark talks about wanting to hit the other kid are both great examples of classic comic book Pa Kent that most people don't have a problem with. They now go unnoticed, which is a shame, they were decent scenes.

Yeah, the Maybe scene, and the more emphasis on Jor 'El being his moral compass, do taint how I view the movie, considering I barely recall such scenes. Unfortunately for me it's those few things that break the movie for me. That and the grey everywhere, the color palette puts me off. I've been thinking I should watch MoS again now that I've had time to remove it from its decisiveness, so perhaps I'll have another opinion now than 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

If you hadn't of posted "in thread views/post count" I would've thought you were crazy... The only movie that literally stands a significant chance at matching VII is VIII since it's a direct continuation and even then, it'll come up short, but not by damn much.. So long as Luke Skywalker is in it and a more significant role, it'll match VII.. In the meantime, BvsS really should be aiming for AOU and nothing more than that, which is damn good...

It would be in your best interest to not let that get in the way of your belief of me being crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

AOU didn't flop. It made $1.4B WW.....how is that a flop?

Even other billionares from 2015 are no flops.

Minions: $1.159B WW

Star Wars: Force Awakens: $2.057B WW

TFA only made 2 billion dollars? Huge flop. Minions only made 1.1 billion? FLOP

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

TFA only made 2 billion dollars? Huge flop. Minions only made 1.1 billion? FLOP

Don't try and joke with me. :rolleyes: You know the fact that when a movie joins the Billion club.....it's no flop.

And i know you're gonna say "Oh, but it's just a joke, man".....well, no need to twist the facts. :ph34r: