JJ-8

May 2016 - Investments & Monthly Thread

Release Schedule

Red Highlight is fully invested and no longer available unless a player decides to sell part of or all their portion.

Available for Investment

Budget Source / Comments

May 2016

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

%Avail

Theatres

Captain America: Civil War

$200m

0%

Wide

TWS budget 170m… add in IM and yeah…

Not Available (Available 1 month prior to Release)

Budget Source / Comments

May 2016

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

%Avail

Theatres

The Darkness

$5m

200%

Wide

Blumhouse microbudget thriller

Kidnap (2015)

$21m

200%

Wide

Wikipedia

Money Monster

$30m

200%

Wide

Wikipedia

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

%Avail

Theatres

The Angry Birds Movie

$80m

300%

Wide

Wikipedia

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

$40m

300%

Wide

Wikipedia

The Nice Guys

$30m

200%

Wide

Comedy Estimate

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

%Avail

Theatres

Alice Through the Looking Glass

$200m

300%

Wide

AIW budget 150m+

X-Men: Apocalypse

$200m

300%

Wide

DOFP budget 200m

• Like 2

Movie Investments - 2016

Investor

Classification / Time

% invested

$ Spent

$ Earnt

% Gain

Captain America: Civil War

Movie Budget: $200,000,000

% Available: 0%

Release Date: 6-May-2016

INVESTMENT

300%

Grey Ghost

06-Apr-16

85%

$170,000,000

$0

-100.0%

CJohn

06-Apr-16

100%

$200,000,000

$0

-100.0%

BourneFan #1

06-Apr-16

60%

$120,000,000

$0

-100.0%

Simionski

06-Apr-16

55%

$110,000,000

$0

-100.0%

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wrath said:

Two moves:

#1 - I'm dumping 50% of Deadpool, bringing me to 295%

#2 - I'm buying 100% of The Darkness

I don't think we're allowed to "dump" movies that have been released already.

I was planning to do it myself. :sadben:

I thought it was just that you can't *sell* movies that have already been released. Lets check.

Edit - Ok, I just checked the rules. Once a movie is released, you definitely can't sell it. However, that's in a different section from what happens if you cancel an investment. In the section about canceling investments, it doesn't say anything about not being able to cancel investments after a movie opens. It just says that if there's less than a week to go before it opens (which presumably would include after the movie opens) you get nothing back and thus "should" keep your investment. Not that you *have* to.

Edited by Wrath

On 4/13/2016 at 3:36 PM, Wrath said:

I thought it was just that you can't *sell* movies that have already been released. Lets check.

Edit - Ok, I just checked the rules. Once a movie is released, you definitely can't sell it. However, that's in a different section from what happens if you cancel an investment. In the section about canceling investments, it doesn't say anything about not being able to cancel investments after a movie opens. It just says that if there's less than a week to go before it opens (which presumably would include after the movie opens) you get nothing back and thus "should" keep your investment. Not that you *have* to.

In that way you also lose any money your movie did. It doesn't make any sense to allow such a thing. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lucasbenica said:

If that happens, then the active percentage rule will serve no purpose.

Sure it would. If I ditch a movie, its no longer active. I paid my initial investment, I got whatever money I may have gotten, and then its inactive at least up to whatever %. And the rules don't say that I can go get it back if I change my mind later.

I'm just doing the mental math and deciding that The Darkness is likely to net more money than 50% of Deadpool is likely to make for the rest of the run.

When a movie drops under 600 theaters you don't have to give your income back. In that way its really no different than a theater releasing a movie that stops doing well enough to justify the opportunity cost of the used screens, like, say The Masked Saint, and pulling it. The cost is sunk, you've got whatever money you've made, and that's the end of the story. Or, 50% of the story, in this case.

Edit - That's what the rules say, anyway, though if JJ says I'm wrong then that's how it is. I'm surprised this has never come up before. With the way the rules were written previously, managing your investment % must have been a pretty big deal. Potentially using this to get out of % would have been attractive.

Edit2 - Also, back to the "no purpose" thing. Its still costing me money to invest in other stuff. I'd guess DP has maybe ~5M to go on its total run. DP will probably be under 600 theaters in a couple weeks. The Active 300% rule is basically making me pay (in the sense of lost income) 2.5M to get out of 50% of a movie a couple weeks early. That's certainly a penalty, and its only that low because of my specific combination of investments and because I'm not much over the cap. Starting tomorrow, I'll be at 500+% and getting below 300% would be WAY, WAY more expensive in terms of lost revenue. Which would make sense since I'd be way over the cap.

Plus, lucasbenica is already well over 500% because of how he timed his investments, and I will be tomorrow as well. This really isn't all that different.

Edited by Wrath

11 hours ago, BourneFan #1 said:

It's just a game.:lol:

Oh, sure! To clarify, I'm enthusiastic on this point, not angry or upset. If JJ says I'm wrong on the rules, or even that I'm right but its a pain the ass for him because of how the spreadsheet works, then I won't argue. I mean, even if I'm right my best case scenario is probably a 5m net gain. The stakes are pretty low, which I figured would be the best place to try a test case ;).

• Like 1

On 14 April 2016 at 6:30 AM, Wrath said:

Sure it would. If I ditch a movie, its no longer active. I paid my initial investment, I got whatever money I may have gotten, and then its inactive at least up to whatever %. And the rules don't say that I can go get it back if I change my mind later.

I'm just doing the mental math and deciding that The Darkness is likely to net more money than 50% of Deadpool is likely to make for the rest of the run.

When a movie drops under 600 theaters you don't have to give your income back. In that way its really no different than a theater releasing a movie that stops doing well enough to justify the opportunity cost of the used screens, like, say The Masked Saint, and pulling it. The cost is sunk, you've got whatever money you've made, and that's the end of the story. Or, 50% of the story, in this case.

Edit - That's what the rules say, anyway, though if JJ says I'm wrong then that's how it is. I'm surprised this has never come up before. With the way the rules were written previously, managing your investment % must have been a pretty big deal. Potentially using this to get out of % would have been attractive.

Edit2 - Also, back to the "no purpose" thing. Its still costing me money to invest in other stuff. I'd guess DP has maybe ~5M to go on its total run. DP will probably be under 600 theaters in a couple weeks. The Active 300% rule is basically making me pay (in the sense of lost income) 2.5M to get out of 50% of a movie a couple weeks early. That's certainly a penalty, and its only that low because of my specific combination of investments and because I'm not much over the cap. Starting tomorrow, I'll be at 500+% and getting below 300% would be WAY, WAY more expensive in terms of lost revenue. Which would make sense since I'd be way over the cap.

Plus, lucasbenica is already well over 500% because of how he timed his investments, and I will be tomorrow as well. This really isn't all that different.

the intention of the rules is once a movie is released the money is spent, so u get all grosses. You can't on sell or cancel a release once it's released. That was always the intention. 

if we allowed such a thing it would be like studios are ripping a movie out of cinemas early. And defeats the purpose of the active rule. It's intended to slow investment down. Yes u can choose as both yourself and Lucas and go way over. But now your over u have to wait. Deadpool will start drop screens more and more.  

Tbh this makes the game strategic. Timing your investments well. Most films will dip under 600 in 4-6 weeks. Deadpool zootopia are the exceptions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

the intention of the rules is once a movie is released the money is spent, so u get all grosses. You can't on sell or cancel a release once it's released. That was always the intention. 

if we allowed such a thing it would be like studios are ripping a movie out of cinemas early. And defeats the purpose of the active rule. It's intended to slow investment down. Yes u can choose as both yourself and Lucas and go way over. But now your over u have to wait. Deadpool will start drop screens more and more.  

Tbh this makes the game strategic. Timing your investments well. Most films will dip under 600 in 4-6 weeks. Deadpool zootopia are the exceptions. 

Alright, that's fine.

12 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Alright, that's fine.

Deadpool will be under 600 as of next week if say anyway for example. And I think that will be extreme. 

Dont forget this replaced the hard rule of 1500% which I think you would have passed already

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

Deadpool will be under 600 as of next week if say anyway for example. And I think that will be extreme. 

Dont forget this replaced the hard rule of 1500% which I think you would have passed already

Yep, I know. I was trying to squeeze it in last week, because after this weekend it'll be a while before I'm under 300% again. I mean, sure, I'd like to have had this go my way, but the stakes are pretty low so its not a big deal that it didn't.

Edit - As a word of warning, deciding things this way is strongly encouraging me to go out and buy 20% of everything that moves :).

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrath said:

Yep, I know. I was trying to squeeze it in last week, because after this weekend it'll be a while before I'm under 300% again. I mean, sure, I'd like to have had this go my way, but the stakes are pretty low so its not a big deal that it didn't.

Edit - As a word of warning, deciding things this way is strongly encouraging me to go out and buy 20% of everything that moves :).

Which in turn means more movie % is available to everyone else...

I believe the rule works. Don't forget u will getting lots of $ from the investments. 

The rule drives smart investments. Not the old lets invest in everything.....

• Like 2

On 4/13/2016 at 11:34 AM, Wrath said:

Two moves:

#1 - I'm dumping 50% of Deadpool, bringing me to 295%

#2 - I'm buying 100% of The Darkness

Can't accept either (as per out discussion above) ... so yeah :P

• Like 2