chasmmi

Chas' Box Office Summer Game | We Have a Winner: Congratulations to DamienRoc on a game well Played. Special mention to darkelf as the runner up and Chewy into 3rd (had a fantastic pre-season score!) | Ya all come for the winter game ya here!

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

10th - Blank Panther

Pre-top 15 score: 1,965,000  Top 15 Score: 106,000

Total Score: 1,071,000

Overall Assessment:

And into the top 10 by the margin of 1000 meagre points, blank scrapes through despite Cmaster taking 757,000 points out of him on that final list. Blank has been consistent all summer, scoring well and heavily in the weeklies and staying sound in the SOTMs. A previous winter game winner not to be discounted. 

Notable Prediction:

Second closest for Bourne's OW.

Not so shining moment:

One of the four gamers of the Apocalypse to have Pete's Dragon in their top 15

LOL I always seem to place in the 12-8 range since winning a few years back.

Oh well, I'll take the claim to fame that is being the best at Domestic Weekend preseasons B)

Fun fact if chewy had actually remembered to abstain just 1 particular (cough SOTM10 cough). He won and won convincingly too in that case. 

Remember er how I kept saying that from outside was coming. Well this was it. 

Well ill done to everyone. Especially to chewy, dark elf and of course to the winner. The old man teles bane, DamienRoc. :lol:

awesome chasmmi. We do it all again soon....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

14th - JJ99

Pre-top 15 score: 1,695,000  Top 15 Score: 230,000

Total Score: 1,925,000

Overall Assessment:

We are so close to 2M points now that I can taste it. JJ99 has had a good summer, scoring well at every turn and mullering his namesake (JJ8) in the process. The top 15 was a little lower than it could have been, but this was a solid solid effort.

Notable Prediction:

Second Closest predictor for Civil War Dom. Also very close with SLOP WW at $750M 

Not so shining moment:

Ice Age at $840M WW

Very Happy with this.

Was not expecting it.

2 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

Fun fact if chewy had actually remembered to abstain just 1 particular (cough SOTM10 cough). He won and won convincingly too in that case. 

Remember er how I kept saying that from outside was coming. Well this was it. 

Well ill done to everyone. Especially to chewy, dark elf and of course to the winner. The old man teles bane, DamienRoc. :lol:

awesome chasmmi. We do it all again soon....

lol I 100% did not deserve to win I paid very little attention to this game over the last two months

I am content simply beating Tele convincingly

Big congrats to Damien and Darkelf

• Like 2

Grats to Damien! Well played!

I found it amusing how you kept lamenting how badly you were going to fall off during the pre-season scoring, because it was a tough summer for top 15s and you absolutely killed it compared to everyone else. If TMNT snuck into the top 15, you would have won in a walk. Well done.

While I definitely was too high on Ice Age, I'd say my real mistake was failing to answer SOTM 10! Yikes, that stung!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Grats to Damien! Well played!

I found it amusing how you kept lamenting how badly you were going to fall off during the pre-season scoring, because it was a tough summer for top 15s and you absolutely killed it compared to everyone else. If TMNT snuck into the top 15, you would have won in a walk. Well done.

While I definitely was too high on Ice Age, I'd say my real mistake was failing to answer SOTM 10! Yikes, that stung!

Actually, it wasn't the top 15 that I was worried about, it was the worldwide top 10 and weekends... which... I did not fare too well at. (And China, but I abstained.) When I saw that I'd dropped down to 9th thanks to those, I thought it was over. Too much ground to make up, and I thought that Sausage Party had doomed me because TMNT2 went from a painful yet acceptable overprediction to another double hit. Along with Neighbors 2 and... Ice Age 5, I think were my top 15 misses. But I suppose that since nobody did better than 12 correct, it evened out. And there were plenty of people who were in the same boat with TMNT dropping to 16th.

Anyway, today's been fun. I got called into work, so I was checking things in the morning before i got in there, which got me through @JJ-8's various tables. And then I was working for 4 hours, so I couldn't see @chasmmi do the live countdown.

Once i got off work, I put on a podcast and started scrolling through the results. I was both relieved that I didn't futz things enough for a third near tie with @NuTella Lover of Sky Beams. (Which, if you remember, is exactly what happened in the Winter Game. I hovered around the top 5 all season, and even had one week where i got a perfect score, but an abysmal preseason dropped me to 14th.) And then to see I'd cracked the top 10.

So then I'm reading down, enjoying the commentary (hey! where's that best and worst stuff for the top 3, Chas? Get on that!). Top 9, 7, 5. Feeling pretty good about myself. Last year I was 6th or 5th, I can't remember exactly, I just know it was literally one question away from Tele, but it looked like I'd be doing better this time around. Personal improvement is important and all.

Top 4, yes. Okay, I made it to the top 3, and then...

I shit you not, my phone died right then. Podcast died, screen went blank. Empty battery. And I'm sitting on a bus, with no way to keep reading until I got home.

Which took another 45 minutes or so. Ride the bus, grab some lunch, walk the half dozen blocks to my place and finally, FINALLY, get back online to see the results.

Man, what a feeling. To hold it out in an amazingly close final tally. I'm glad I took my advice after the Winter Game and didn't completely 

SO many things could have upset these scores. If @Chewy hadn't disappeared for the last part of the game, he'd have gotten it easily. If I had edited my preseason stuffs and lost that week 0 score, I'd probably be doing much worse. (Granted, much of that would probably have been to adding another hundred million to CACW and killing my accuracy bonuses, not specifically the loss of 30+k points from the week.) If I hadn't really, really agonized over my choices for SOTM-5. (Has anyone calculated what the best possible selection of movies is? I'm curious about that.) If, if, if.

Anyway, Thanks to Chasmmi and JJ-8 for running this joint. It's a blast as always.

A big thanks to @Baumer loves Oogieloves for starting this whole shebang. I'm a relative newcomer, but it's something I now look forward to each summer. I will admit that I had a personal goal of improving each year, so I honestly don't know how I'm going to do that next year.

Thanks to Tele for being a wonderful Nemesis, even if you DIDN'T QUITE BRING IT THIS YEAR, OLD MAN!

(In my head, Tele and I have this sort of relationship regarding the games: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=327)

Thanks to @Exxdee @Infernus @Jake Gittes, my brother in abstention @Wrath, and the other Wrath (@WrathOfHan), for providing a challenging encouragement week in and week out to bring my A-game. There were a few weeks I thought about dropping it entirely. (On the thought of things that could have upset the final balance. Missing a single week, even one, would have spun it all different.)

And Thanks to anyone else I missed there. You're all great, and it's a honor to play against you.

A huge thank you to both Chewy and @darkelf, both excellent players who'd be well-deserving winners had things shifted just slightly one way or another. It is a privilege to be measured against you.

Most of all, thanks to everyone who makes the forums what they are and allows them to be a place of entertainment and refuge for me. I started this summer unemployed and rather unsure about what to do with myself. I finish still somewhat unsure, but at least employed and in a better spot. This place, and the game, has no small part of keeping me in good spirits through the rough spots.

Now... bring on the Winter, because there's always something I can do better. It's time for me to really hit my worldwides. See you there.

• Like 12