chasmmi

Chas' Box Office Summer Game | We Have a Winner: Congratulations to DamienRoc on a game well Played. Special mention to darkelf as the runner up and Chewy into 3rd (had a fantastic pre-season score!) | Ya all come for the winter game ya here!

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

GND's weekend numbers never came in, what does that mean for the question in Week 0?

Same thing it means every week, we TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

Or just everybody wins the question. That also happens every time this kind of issue arises. 

• Like 1

So I know we will have all those charts and gross features to watch but here is a quick bit of information from the data that is out there right now....

There are presently 34 players as of this evening with two (right?) more days to go to the deadline

Films that EVERYONE has on their List (ranked by top 5 placement)

1 - Civil War (Lowest placement is 2nd)

2 - Dory (lowest placement is Fourth)

3 - Secret Life of Pets (21 top 5) (lowest is 11th, highest is 3rd)

4 - ID4 (18 top 5) (Lowest is 13, highest is 2nd)

5 - X-Men (18 top 5) (lowest is 8th, highest is 3rd)

Films Missing by 1 person to date

6 - Suicide Squad (29 top 5) - Surely the person missing this is crazy?? (Lowest is 8th outside of that 1 list, otherwise its spread all over the top 5 with equal placement between 3rd and 4th as well as a single 1st place)

7 - Bourne (6 top 5) (Lowest is 14th except the 1 list, highest is 4th)

8 - Star Trek (2 top 5) (Lowest is 13th, highest is 5th)

Films Missing by more than 1 list to date

9 -Turtles (0 top 5, missing from 2 lists)

10 - Alice (1 top 5, 29/34) (highest is 3rd!)

11 - Central Intel (0 top 5, 29/34)

12 - Ghostbusters (2 top 5, 28/34)

13 - Angry Birds (1 top 5, 24/34) (highest is 3rd!!)

14 - TBFG (3 top 5, 21/34)

15 - Ice Age 5 (0 top 5, 21/34)

Films lower than top 15

16 - Neighbors 2 (20/34)

17 - The Conjuring 2 (10/34)

18 - Legend of Tarzan (7/34)

19 - Warcraft (6/34)

20 - Sausage Party (4/34)

21 - Pete's Dragon (1 top 5, 3/34)

22 - The Nice Guys (3/34)

23 - Now You See Me 2 (2/34)

24/25 (TIE) Bad Moms / Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates (1 vote each)

So just something to look at since I like data thought I would share it... There isn't tons of variety in our choices this year but some placements are interesting.

• Like 6

I'll try and complete going through the list tomorrow night... yes i've already started compiling my super spreadsheet :D

First 4 entries:

@chasmmi~ you haven't edited as yet, i assume you will be, you didn't put an answer down for Preseason Q17.

@WrathOfHan ~ you have edited, so Chas, ignore any week 0 question he might have answered.  ALSO - you need to put down GROSSES for Worldwide Weekends top 5 (you haven't a gross down as yet and will lose out unless you enter something.

@Wrath ~ ALL GOOD from what i can tell (and I think your ok for the Week 0 questions unless you change your mind)

@The Panda Knight ~ also ALL good.  As per Wrath if you answered week 0 they will count unless you edit before the thread is locked.

I'll continue to review in case something else is missing... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

I'll try and complete going through the list tomorrow night... yes i've already started compiling my super spreadsheet :D

First 4 entries:

@chasmmi~ you haven't edited as yet, i assume you will be, you didn't put an answer down for Preseason Q17.

I'll continue to review in case something else is missing... 

That's an annoyance. It means I will lose 25k if I don't answer the question but my Week 0 answers are worth 27k, so the question is whether I think I can gain 2k or more by changing stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, narniadis said:

So I know we will have all those charts and gross features to watch but here is a quick bit of information from the data that is out there right now....

There are presently 34 players as of this evening with two (right?) more days to go to the deadline

Films that EVERYONE has on their List (ranked by top 5 placement)

1 - Civil War (Lowest placement is 2nd)

2 - Dory (lowest placement is Fourth)

3 - Secret Life of Pets (21 top 5) (lowest is 11th, highest is 3rd)

4 - ID4 (18 top 5) (Lowest is 13, highest is 2nd)

5 - X-Men (18 top 5) (lowest is 8th, highest is 3rd)

Films Missing by 1 person to date

6 - Suicide Squad (29 top 5) - Surely the person missing this is crazy?? (Lowest is 8th outside of that 1 list, otherwise its spread all over the top 5 with equal placement between 3rd and 4th as well as a single 1st place)

7 - Bourne (6 top 5) (Lowest is 14th except the 1 list, highest is 4th)

8 - Star Trek (2 top 5) (Lowest is 13th, highest is 5th)

Films Missing by more than 1 list to date

9 -Turtles (0 top 5, missing from 2 lists)

10 - Alice (1 top 5, 29/34) (highest is 3rd!)

11 - Central Intel (0 top 5, 29/34)

12 - Ghostbusters (2 top 5, 28/34)

13 - Angry Birds (1 top 5, 24/34) (highest is 3rd!!)

14 - TBFG (3 top 5, 21/34)

15 - Ice Age 5 (0 top 5, 21/34)

Films lower than top 15

16 - Neighbors 2 (20/34)

17 - The Conjuring 2 (10/34)

18 - Legend of Tarzan (7/34)

19 - Warcraft (6/34)

20 - Sausage Party (4/34)

21 - Pete's Dragon (1 top 5, 3/34)

22 - The Nice Guys (3/34)

23 - Now You See Me 2 (2/34)

24/25 (TIE) Bad Moms / Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates (1 vote each)

So just something to look at since I like data thought I would share it... There isn't tons of variety in our choices this year but some placements are interesting.

So the general consensus top 18 is also my top 18. Am still feeling I should add Ghostbusters but I just can't see what to remove. Same feeling with Ice Age and to a lesser extent Tarzan.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

So the general consensus top 18 is also my top 18. Am still feeling I should add Ghostbusters but I just can't see what to remove. Same feeling with Ice Age and to a lesser extent Tarzan.

Yeah, the top 15 is the same films I have (differing order of course) I was surprised by how many picked Tarzan because I think it will be Hercules 2.0 (the DJohnson version) but there are a couple of the smaller films ie. Conjuring and Neighbors that could go so many different ways. Something is going to be a big surprise this summer as always but I haven't a clue as to what...

And @ThatOneGuy I think BFG will be big as well, but I hesitate to go over 150m big - but then again it is Disney with Spielberg attached....

I will say that the ones missing Star Trek, Suicide Squad and Bourne seem to be wanting to miss out on points as I can't see any of the three grossing less than 125m (the likely 15th place total this year)... but then again maybe they know something we dont.

One person has Pete's Dragon doing over 300m - I am hoping thats a mistake since there just isn't enough time in the game for that to happen unless it opens over 100m (which it wont)

And X-Men is VERY consistent in the placements I think if I averaged it out it would be around 6th place but as you can see it has a very tight range where all 34 predictions are in places 3-8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Swap Ghostbusters for The Conjuring and my Top 15 lines up (not in order though)

The Conjuring is gonna decrease for sure.  Reviews aren't gonna be as good as the first (we know that for sure), and I feel it'll have bigger drops, so weaker legs.  If any horror film this year will break out, Light's Out is gonna do it, although I'm still skeptical on that.

25 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

The Conjuring is gonna decrease for sure.  Reviews aren't gonna be as good as the first (we know that for sure), and I feel it'll have bigger drops, so weaker legs.  If any horror film this year will break out, Light's Out is gonna do it, although I'm still skeptical on that.

We don't know that it'll be worse than the first :lol: I agree it'll be more frontloaded though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We don't know that it'll be worse than the first :lol: I agree it'll be more frontloaded though.

It's pretty much a guarantee, honestly.  Horror sequels tend to almost always get not as good reviews as the first, even if it retains the same director.  Insidious Chapter 2 comes to mind (another James Wan film).

Hmm. Didn't realize my list was so off-beat compared to most other folks. Usually I put a little more effort to be closer to the pack.

Hope I'm right!

Edit - BFG, Tarzan, and Neighbors 2 are the ones replacing Angry Birds, Ghostbusters, and Central Intelligence. I guess you've never very sure of your 13-15 spots, but I'm certainly not confident of those.

Edited by Wrath