kayumanggi

Monday Numbers: 4.60 M ZOOTOPIA | 2.09 M 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE | 1.18 M DEADPOOL

Box Office Mojo's list of 3rd weekends:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/moreweekends.htm?page=3&p=.htm

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $90,241,673 9.7% 4,134 $21,829 $930,757,012 12/18/15
2 Avatar Fox $68,490,688 9.1% 3,461 $19,789 $749,766,139 12/18/09
3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $55,644,102 8.9% 4,249 $13,096 $623,357,910 5/4/12
4 Jurassic World Uni. $54,532,615 8.4% 4,198 $12,990 $652,270,625 6/12/15
5 Spider-Man Sony $45,036,912 11.2% 3,615 $12,458 $403,706,375 5/3/02
6 The Dark Knight WB $42,664,219 8.0% 4,266 $10,001 $533,345,358 7/18/08
7 Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $38,859,900 8.5% 4,276 $9,088 $459,005,868 5/1/15
8 Shrek 2 DW $37,931,716 8.6% 4,131 $9,182 $441,226,247 5/19/04
9 Iron Man 3 BV $35,770,094 8.7% 4,237 $8,442 $409,013,994 5/3/13
10 The Dark Knight Rises WB $35,737,330 8.0% 4,242 $8,425 $448,139,099 7/20/12

Zootopia should slide easily into that #7 spot.

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

RELAX. Spring break kicks in this week. It's not gonna have a $40M weekend. The Friday increase will be much smaller than last week's. Lorax only dropped 1.7% from its first Monday. 

My college and the local primary and secondary schools were all on spring break last week, actually. Part of Zootopia's numbers from seven days ago were because of systems that were on break at the same time as us.

Anyways, I think this is monumental.

Edited by cannastop

Just now, cannastop said:

I had spring break last week, actually. I think this is monumental.

Come on. You know full well spring breaks are different everywhere and there's a greater percentage on break this week. This looks to be a 1.4-1.5% increase from last Monday and Lorax dropped only 1.7%. It's a terrific number but I fail to see how it's "monumental".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Come on. You know full well spring breaks are different everywhere and there's a greater percentage on break this week. This looks to be a 1.4-1.5% increase from last Monday and Lorax dropped only 1.7%. It's a terrific number but I fail to see how it's "monumental".

The Lorax also didn't come close to $51 million on its second weekend.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

What does that have to do with anything? We know Zootopia has great WOM Lorax didn't and is attracting a larger adult crowd. That's why the grosses have been bigger and the second weekend drop was 10% better. This is about the second weekdays % difference which should be very similar regardless. 

Lorax second week daily % compared to its first weekdays.

Monday: -1.7%

Tuesday: +6.6%

Wednesday: +19.7%

Thursday: +18.7%

You can expect very similar increases from last week for Zootopia because this is a bigger spring break week for K-12.

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

What does that have to do with anything? 

My point is that Zootopia is coming from a higher place than The Lorax did when it went into its 3rd weekend.

Even if Zootopia doesn't make $40 million on its 3rd weekend, do you think it will make the list that I posted from Box Office Mojo?

Edited by cannastop

I would think most schools would be out the last two weeks of march. Which wouldn't include this week. Especially because of Easter falling in march this year. It just makes sense to do spring break the week of Easter when that week is in march.

Pretty sure this movie will see an great next three weeks, Easter should be nice to this movie.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RichWS said:

What does that have to do with anything? We know Zootopia has great WOM Lorax didn't and is attracting a larger adult crowd. That's why the grosses have been bigger and the second weekend drop was 10% better. This is about the second weekdays % difference which should be very similar regardless. 

Lorax second week daily % compared to its first weekdays.

Monday: -1.7%

Tuesday: +6.6%

Wednesday: +19.7%

Thursday: +18.7%

You can expect very similar increases from last week for Zootopia because this is a bigger spring break week for K-12.

OK, none of that stuff you added after an edit refutes the possibility that Zootopia's 3rd weekend will be above $40 million.

I'll ask again:

Even if Zootopia doesn't make $40 million on its 3rd weekend, do you think it will make the list that I posted from Box Office Mojo?

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yes. I think it'll make around $37M, which would be fantastic. I'm not knocking the performance. I'm just saying it's not out of the ordinary and stronger weekdays this week was to be expected. It'll also mean a much smaller Friday increase. It's not going to have a major effect on the weekend drop because more kids will be seeing it during this week rather than waiting for the weekend.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Yes. I think it'll make around $37M, which would be fantastic. I'm not knocking the performance. I'm just saying it's not out of the ordinary and stronger weekdays this week was to be expected. It'll also mean a much smaller Friday increase. It's not going to have a major effect on the weekend drop because more kids will be seeing it during this week rather than waiting for the weekend.

OK, so there is hardly any argument here. I just think you're underestimating the effect of word of mouth and you're overestimating the amount of students on Spring Break.

Edited by cannastop

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

$37 million would still be an amazing number. Only a 28% drop! 

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

OK, so there is hardly any argument here. I just think you're underestimating the effect of word of mouth and you're overestimating the amount of students on Spring Break.

How am I underestimating WOM? I think it's going to have a great second weekend drop of around 28%. I'm giving you a solid historical comp in Lorax from the same exact week four years ago that shows increases for every weekday. The slight increase from last Monday proves it's going to follow a very similar path. The difference is that you think it's going to have a weekend drop of 20-21% which would be very difficult considering how much bigger the weekdays are going to be this week.

How can I be overestimating spring break this week when it increased from last Monday? You think it's because of WOM and not more kids on break?

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

How am I underestimating WOM? I think it's going to have a great second weekend drop of around 28%. I'm giving you a solid historical comp in Lorax from the same exact week four years ago that shows increases for every weekday. The slight increase from last Monday proves it's going to follow a very similar path. The difference is that you think it's going to have a weekend drop of 20-21% which would be very difficult considering how much bigger the weekdays are going to be this week.

How can I be overestimating spring break this week when it increased from last Monday? You think it's because of WOM and not more kids on break?

I think you're getting way too worked up. You're predicting a $37 million 3rd weekend and I'm predicting a $41 million 3rd weekend. A difference of about 10% is nothing to get agitated over.

• Like 1