Fancyarcher

The Shape of Water (Cold War supernatural thriller) | Dec 8 2017 | Del Toro co-writing/directing | Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Shannon

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not even Devil's Backbone or Pan's Labyrinth?

Backbone definitely not. The whole ghost as heavy-handed metaphor thing does nothing for me, so I only really enjoyed both that and Crimson Peak for their formal qualities. Pan's Labyrinth I saw a really long time ago and would need to rewatch to be specific but I remember something in its juxtaposition of real-life horror and fairy tale kinda rubbed me the wrong way, and I think Gilliam's Tideland did the same thing a lot more powerfully a year earlier. 

• Like 1

It looks and sounds promising (even if I can't help but think of Abe Sapien being in love with a mute woman) thanks to a solid cast, an interesting premise and setting. I've slight Brazil and Snowpiercer reminiscences in terms of atmosphere and production design combined with Del Toro's eerie retro-horror vibe. It's been a long time since I felt optimistic about a GDT movie.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Wasn't this film initially described as a romance though? Maybe I'm remembering wrong

I haven't followed it very closely.

I don't know. I feel like turning it into a true romance seems like a very typical thing to do but maybe I won't mind if handled well and feels natural

54 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

It looks and sounds promising (even if I can't help but think of Abe Sapien being in love with a mute woman) thanks to a solid cast, an interesting premise and setting. I've slight Brazil and Snowpiercer reminiscences in terms of atmosphere and production design combined with Del Toro's eerie retro-horror vibe. It's been a long time since I felt optimistic about any movie.

ahem

:ph34r:

:P