Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

3 minutes ago, POTUS said:

i wonder what Grace Randolph thinks Solo China will do

"China's government has a vested interest in Disney succeeding"

"China loves star wars"

"TFA broke the opening weekend record" (NB: record for Sat+Sun OW O believe)

"TLJ did $X with competition, Solo has little competition and can easily double that"

"Solo centres around Han Solo, a very loved character by all"

I'd say something along those lines perhaps :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

"China's government has a vested interest in Disney succeeding"

"China loves star wars"

"TFA broke the opening weekend record" (NB: record for Sat+Sun OW O believe)

"TLJ did $X with competition, Solo has little competition and can easily double that"

"Solo centres around Han Solo, a very loved character by all"

I'd say something along those lines perhaps :) 

She made a video about TLJ doing poorly there saying "Box Office rich China is lost to this franchise" so even she's not that delusional.

On 5/21/2018 at 9:52 PM, ZeeSoh said:

Ranger Solo (3 days out)

Midnights - 0.17m yuan

OD - 1.08m (23638 screens)

Sat - 0.44m

Sun - 0.36m

These numbers are just embarrassing 3 days out. Solo added about 10k screens today and had an increase of 68.75% which means it again did not double. If it doubles every day from here on out and has typical OW multipliers then it would get to 16m usd OW and then TLJ legs from there gets it to 24m usd total. I doubt it will double over the next 3 days and I doubt it will have typical OW multipliers so these numbers will most likely drop further

I dont even have comparisions at same point in time as I usually track only SH movies and they all are way above thee numbers but I will try and find some others in this thread.

Ranger Solo (2 days out)

Midnights - 0.32m yuan

OD - 1.64m (34392 screens)

Sat - 0.81

Sun - 0.48

Mr. Solo added about 11k screens today for a still very low screen count of about 35k. 

Solo also jumped only 52.2% which is lower than its jump yesterday which is the opposiy of what should have happened. 

Doubling PS and typical multi will get Solo to a 12m usd OW and then TLJ legs will get it to about 18m usd total. But its not gonna have typical multies and its probably not gonna double tomorrow so the numbers will be lower definitely

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Ranger Solo (3 days out)

Can we collectively stop calling this “Ranger” Solo? How did that even start? The Chinese 游侠 connotes a chivalrous wanderer who defends the weak, a kind of “knight-errant”. It also has the implied meaning of a scoundrel or rascal. 

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Ranger Solo (3 days out)

Midnights - 0.32m yuan

OD - 1.64m (34392 screens)

Sat - 0.81

Sun - 0.48

Mr. Solo added about 11k screens today for a still very low screen count of about 35k. 

Solo also jumped only 52.2% which is lower than its jump yesterday which is the opposiy of what should have happened. 

Doubling PS and typical multi will get Solo to a 12m usd OW and then TLJ legs will get it to about 18m usd total. But its not gonna have typical multies and its probably not gonna double tomorrow so the numbers will be lower definitely

Isn't this two days out (Wednesday (1 day) and Thursday (it opens))

That are 3.25M in total so $0.51M... :(

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Can we collectively stop calling this “Ranger” Solo? How did that even start? The Chinese 游侠 connotes a chivalrous wanderer who defends the weak, a kind of “knight-errant”. It also has the implied meaning of a scoundrel or rascal. 

I dont know where it started from but google translates the chinese title into Ranger Solo. Even IMDB gives the same title. 

What should the title be then according to you?

18 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Isn't this two days out (Wednesday (1 day) and Thursday (it opens))

That are 3.25M in total so $0.51M... :(

Oh yeah sorry about that and thanks for catching it. I copy paste from the my previous day post and then change the date accordingly but forgot to do so today

21 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I dont know where it started from but google translates the chinese title into Ranger Solo. Even IMDB gives the same title. 

What should the title be then according to you?

Why does it need a translation? Just use its official English name here or just "Solo"

It appears that it ricocheted around the internet from a tweet http://www.jedinews.co.uk/film-music-tv/articles/solo-star-wars-story-changes-name-china-ranger-solo/ by none other than our pengyou @Gavin Feng and while I love the guy, I don't think he intended to officially coin its English name, nor does he have the English authority to do so (no offense, Gavin...I really still do love you).

I realize this is all an uphill battle and doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, but we're all sitting here criticizing Disney for its title while in actuality the term 游侠 isn't half bad for Solo's character.

• Astonished 1

33 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Why does it need a translation? Just use its official English name here or just "Solo"

It appears that it ricocheted around the internet from a tweet http://www.jedinews.co.uk/film-music-tv/articles/solo-star-wars-story-changes-name-china-ranger-solo/ by none other than our pengyou @Gavin Feng and while I love the guy, I don't think he intended to officially coin its English name, nor does he have the English authority to do so (no offense, Gavin...I really still do love you).

I realize this is all an uphill battle and doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, but we're all sitting here criticizing Disney for its title while in actuality the term 游侠 isn't half bad for Solo's character.

I am not criticizing Disney for the Ranger Solo title nor do I care what it is called. Ranger Solo is pretty much everywhere which is why I am using it. If it were called Crazy Solo instead of Ranger then I would be using that title. 

But you still havent explained why IMDB, Douban and Maoyan all are using the name that translates into Ranger. If Ranger(or whatever its equivalent is) did not really exist why use it then?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I am not criticizing Disney for the Ranger Solo title nor do I care what it is called. Ranger Solo is pretty much everywhere which is why I am using it. If it were called Crazy Solo instead of Ranger then I would be using that title. 

But you still havent explained why IMDB, Douban and Maoyan all are using the name that translates into Ranger. If Ranger(or whatever its equivalent is) did not really exist why use it then?

he gets touchy sometimes.  ignore it

JW2 listed at 43 shows.  They will probably ramp it over 10k on Fri or sat. another 3 week run, new normal I guess

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some pearls directly from Deadline :lol:

We’ve heard estimates for what’s locally titled Ranger Solo running from $10M-$25M.

Without the legacy and nostalgia the series has elsewhere in the world, the Star Wars franchise has had a rough time catching on in the Middle Kingdom and Solo won’t change that. We understand that there was no talent traveling to the market, although new villain Paul Bettany clearly has his fans – he recently won the Best Supporting Actor prize at the Beijing International Film Festival for indie British pic Journey’s End.

Edited by XO21
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Some pearls directly from Deadline :lol:

We’ve heard estimates for what’s locally titled Ranger Solo running from $10M-$25M.

Without the legacy and nostalgia the series has elsewhere in the world, the Star Wars franchise has had a rough time catching on in the Middle Kingdom and Solo won’t change that. We understand that there was no talent traveling to the market, although new villain Paul Bettany clearly has his fans – he recently won the Best Supporting Actor prize at the Beijing International Film Festival for indie British pic Journey’s End.

they are reading our thread finally

jiangsen gonna write deadline a nasty letter

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

"Ranger" is only used by the English language internet and is in reference to Gavin's original tweet...not anything official. 

Douban and Maoyan both use the official English language title, Solo: A Star Wars Story.

34 minutes ago, POTUS said:

he gets touchy sometimes.  ignore it

JW2 listed at 43 shows.  They will probably ramp it over 10k on Fri or sat. another 3 week run, new normal I guess

10 minutes ago, POTUS said:

they are reading our thread finally

jiangsen gonna write deadline a nasty letter

@POTUS knows me well, already sent :-)

I'm a student of the language and culture so I get pissed easily when things are translated poorly and misunderstandings occur. Feel free to ignore it.

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Ranger Solo is going to be a flop. The only question is how big of a flop it will be.

not really a flop, most pixar films dont do well, not considered flops while DM3 made $150m+.  xxx, kk and RE6 beat all SHs last year. nature of a different market

PS at 1.66m.   I assume it increase 75% and 100% for Wed and Thurs then a 3.5PSm, then 3.2xFri

Y64m/$10,047,095.76

Thats my prediction

Could be 8-12m

Maybe there are no light saber fights and they love it, has a Dangal run!:o

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, POTUS said:

not really a flop, most pixar films dont do well, not considered flops while DM3 made $150m+.  xxx, kk and RE6 beat all SHs last year. nature of a different market

Thanks for the reminder. So it turns out there actually was a recent high-profile film that did less than 5% of its domestic gross in China. Inside Out (2015)- $356 million DOM vs $15 million CHINA. Maybe Solo can beat it with an even lower percentage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Some possible translations for Solo?

Hero, daredevil, opportunist, swashbuckler, traveler, adventurer, wanderer

Swashbuckler doesn't seem too bad.

5 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Don't suck the fun out of the forum. If some one prefers to call it Ranger Solo, let him/her do it. I don't see the big deal here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disney is the starter.... They added the word "游侠" into the Chinese title.

I think "Ranger" is a good and appropriate translation of "游侠". Can't think of a better replacement.

“游侠” is mostly a postive word which usually is connected with such legend heroes as Jing Ke, Robin Hood and Zoro. It fits Han Solo well IMO.

OD Presales
  Ranger Solo  Blade Runner 2049 SW8
3 days + 5.5 hours before midnight 1 million

21.1k shows listed
1.755 million

17.3k shows listed
3.82 million

31.8k shows listed
2 days + 5.5 hours before midnight 1.42 million

31.3k shows listed
2.46 million

24k shows listed