Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

On 5/19/2019 at 11:26 PM, ZeeSoh said:

Godzilla 2 (11 days out)

Midnight - 745k

OD - 2.80m (+7.69%)(46819 shows)

Sat - 1.43m

Sun - 1.30m

I will have comps tomorrow. They also increased this coming Saturday’s previews again (upto 1400 showings). 

Aladdin OD PS - 665k (16889 shows)(4 days out)

I dont know what to compare this to, but thinking 9-10m USD OW at this point. 

Godzilla 2 (10 days out)

Midnight - 780k

OD - 3.10m (+10.71%)(48696 shows)

Sat - 1.48m

Sun - 1.38m

OD PS

Midnight

Sat PS

Sun PS

Show Count

Final PS

JW2

6.83m

1.21m

3.79m

2.47m

MI6

4.76m

1.6m

Godzilla 2

3.1m

1.48m

1.38m

Bumblebee

2.89m

-

-

-

DP

1.5m

Run rate has been slow for the past few days and reaching JW2's final PS seems unlikely. I think a finish somewhere in the low 40's final PS seems likely. From there an OW in the 70's is possible, maybe even 80's if WoM is good. The advance previews this coming weekend are likely having an effect though, without them I think OD PS would be much higher. The advance previews are upto nearly 1700 showings on Saturday and 170 on Sunday having sold nearly 2m Yuan worth of tickets. But if WoM is great from these showings then we will see PS accelerate in the last few days but if the WoM is lukewarm that will affect the opening. Still I assume WB/Legendary are confidant in the movie which is why they are having so many previews.

Aladdin OD PS - 1.0m (26070 shows)(3 days out)

• Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Question: Will those Preview earnings be counted into the OD in China or will they be separatly reported like in the US?

No clue but I think they will be reported separately. In China generally the midnights are not rolled over into the OD like in US, at least we dont do that here on this forum, so I think the same will be the case with these previews. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

What Godzilla is making from previews is in the same level with what Aladdin is getting from opening weekend in advance ticket sale.

Is that good for Godzilla or just really bad for Aladdin?

21 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Godzilla 2 (10 days out)

Midnight - 780k

OD - 3.10m (+10.71%)(48696 shows)

Sat - 1.48m

Sun - 1.38m.

Aladdin OD PS - 1.0m (26070 shows)(3 days out)

Godzilla 2 (9 days out)

Midnight - 821k

OD - 3.45m (+11.3%)(50521 shows)

Sat - 1.60m

Sun - 1.42m

Aladdin OD PS - 1.63m (38554 shows)(2 days out)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I don’t see Zilla PS increase big until after previews. Unless all the preview shows are sold out.

But if WOM is good, then increases after that could be huge.

Yeah the next few days are gonna be slow due to the advance screenings taking a lot of that PS money. This unique situation is kind of making me wary of giving out any predictions this far out. 

If the advance screenings were not there then would they have instead gone to the OD? If yes then the OD PS would be quite high and would give me more confidence in predicting even higher OW than 70 which I did in my post from 2 days ago. 

But then if the WoM is not good from the previews then that will lower the opening. 

47 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah the next few days are gonna be slow due to the advance screenings taking a lot of that PS money. This unique situation is kind of making me wary of giving out any predictions this far out. 

If the advance screenings were not there then would they have instead gone to the OD? If yes then the OD PS would be quite high and would give me more confidence in predicting even higher OW than 70 which I did in my post from 2 days ago. 

But then if the WoM is not good from the previews then that will lower the opening. 

So its safe to say that we wont really have a good idea where it might be heading until a few days before the release?

6 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Well how are Saturday and Sunday previews doing? Any info on those?

Saturday - 2.75m PS
Sunday - 0.23m PS (All in Yuan)

Sunday seems to be really small as only 181 shows are there. Saturday looks huge. I wonder if it can double the numbers by saturday even if showcount dont change.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

So its safe to say that we wont really have a good idea where it might be heading until a few days before the release?

Yes. Movies having few previews before release is understandable but having these many showings makes the situation unique. Thanks to the number of showings, a huge amount of people will see the movie before opening so reviews will be more available and widespread and WoM (whether good or bad) will have a much bigger impact on OW. Generally we see that reception matters more to legs than the OW where pre release hype rules but in this case reception will affect the OW too imo. 

Kinda shows how confidant WB/Legendary are in the movie that they are doing this (and the social media reactions so far confirms their confidence). 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tentatek said:

Is there a reason why Aladdin is bombing this hard?

I thought the story took place in China and Chinese people would be familiar with this and would be want to see it? 

Aladin is based on an Arab story and has no relation to China.

Aladdin 2 days out ¥1.62mn OD pre-sales.

At same time, comparison with other films and probable OD with same PSm

+68% Dumbo (¥21mn OD)

-82% Beauty and the Beast (¥15mn OD)

+13% Nutcrackers and Four Realms (¥26mn OD)

I think Dumbo being middle ground of the two extremes and perhaps the best comp. What a flop. Ugh.