Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

On 7/5/2019 at 10:04 PM, ZeeSoh said:

The Lion King (6 days Out)

Midnight - 273k

OD - 2.38m (36929 shows)

Sat - 1.85m

Sun - 1.16m

Good increase, standard for the second day for movies that start their PS runs late. Midnight still lags but Sat/Sun PS as a ratio of OD PS is high which is a good early sign of low frontloading. 

The Lion King (5 days Out)

Midnight - 720k

OD - 4.21m (42329 shows)

Sat - 3.07m

Sun - 2.29m

Very good jump today especially for OD. Early to tell but possibly heading to a PS in the 30's region. Could go higher into the 40's if the increases continues to be as big as this. 

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Midnight - 720k

OD - 4.21m (42329 shows)

Sat - 3.07m

Sun - 2.29m

Very good jump today especially for OD. Early to tell but possibly heading to a PS in the 30's region. Could go higher into the 40's if the increases continues to be as big as this. 

Are you also on the $60M OW train for TLK?

13 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Right now, what would you put the odds at of $70m or $80m OW?

Oh I don't know if I can give percentages and stuff but right now has a very good chance at 70+. Assuming it gets to 35m PS (which is on the low to mid end of where i am expecting) then it will only require a 13-14x multi to get to 70m. That may be difficult for most SH movies to get to but for non SH movies, and especially non franchise movies like this, is not so difficult. For example, amongst recent non SH big movies, Alita, Bumblebee, Godzilla all had a 13x multi or more despite not stellar reviews on the scale of Aquaman. So yeah 70m or more is looking good based on raw PS and PS trends so far.

80m+ is up in the air. It would require a 15x multi or more which is not easy but not difficult either. 3 recent movies (Aquaman, bumblebee, Godzilla 2) made it to 15x or more. So there is a chance but I will stick with the high 60's-70's range for now. I will need a few more days of PS to see.

All this is under the assumption that final PS would be 35m. It could go lower in which case things would become more difficult or go higher which will make 80m easier. I think it will go over 35m final PS seeing its current trajectory. Another thing helping is that PS is not frontloaded towards OD PS but rather nicely spread out to Sat/Sun as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Oh I don't know if I can give percentages and stuff but right now has a very good chance at 70+. Assuming it gets to 35m PS (which is on the low to mid end of where i am expecting) then it will only require a 13-14x multi to get to 70m. That may be difficult for most SH movies to get to but for non SH movies, and especially non franchise movies like this, is not so difficult. For example, amongst recent non SH big movies, Alita, Bumblebee, Godzilla all had a 13x multi or more despite not stellar reviews on the scale of Aquaman. So yeah 70m or more is looking good based on raw PS and PS trends so far.

80m+ is up in the air. It would require a 15x multi or more which is not easy but not difficult either. 3 recent movies (Aquaman, bumblebee, Godzilla 2) made it to 15x or more. So there is a chance but I will stick with the high 60's-70's range for now. I will need a few more days of PS to see.

All this is under the assumption that final PS would be 35m. It could go lower in which case things would become more difficult or go higher which will make 80m easier. I think it will go over 35m final PS seeing its current trajectory. Another thing helping is that PS is not frontloaded towards OD PS but rather nicely spread out to Sat/Sun as well. 

Your insight is appreciated, as always :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Midnight - 720k

OD - 4.21m (42329 shows)

Sat - 3.07m

Sun - 2.29m

Mid 30s sounds right

1159pm

Sat  4.2

Sun 6.2     +47%

Mon 9      +45%

Tues 13.5 +50%

Wed 20.3 +50%

Thu  36.4 +80%

x14   510m/$74.2m OW

1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Mid 30s sounds right

1159pm

Sat  4.2

Sun 6.2     +47%

Mon 9      +45%

Tues 13.5 +50%

Wed 20.3 +50%

Thu  36.4 +80%

x14   510m/$74.2m OW

knowing the story of lion king, is something that can appeal to the audience there ?

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

knowing the story of lion king, is something that can appeal to the audience there ?

Definitely. Asian audiences resonate strongly with movies that deal with family themes, especially elder/parent-child relationships. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Definitely. Asian audiences resonate strongly with movies that deal with family themes, especially elder/parent-child relationships. 

This is one of the main reasons I expect it to do well across almost all markets. The story/theme is universal, especially when it's animals and not people. Add in the huge nostalgia in the older markets, and the newer markets that have exploded in the last decade and you have the recipe for greatness.

As I've been saying from the start though, everything rides on how it's received. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Except for Black Panther.

It still made as much as most SH used to make pre-Infinity War and even more than movies like GotG2, Wonder Woman, BvS not to mention recent near-flops (in China) like Shazam and Dark Phoenix and almost as much as Justice League. 

For a so called disappointment, thats pretty damn good imo.  

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

It still made as much as most SH used to make pre-Infinity War and even more than movies like GotG2, Wonder Woman, BvS not to mention recent near-flops (in China) like Shazam and Dark Phoenix and almost as much as Justice League. 

For a so called disappointment, thats pretty damn good imo.  

I'm so curious if The Little Mermaid and Sade become successful in the Chinese market. Maybe not.

45 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I'm so curious if The Little Mermaid and Sade become successful in the Chinese market. Maybe not.

I haven't seen the original TLM so not sure  if it has any elements that might excite the crowds here. But the unique underwater setting will definitely help. 

Btw whats Sade? Is it a movie?