CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

All these posts and conjecture and hand-wringing ... I gave ya'll the numbers on Friday afternoon!

On 3/25/2016 at 1:59 PM, M37 said:

Revised Weekend Projections

NEW (old)

Th = $28.7 ($31.7)

Fri = $54.0 ($55.0)

Sat = $50.5 ($51.0)

Sun = $33.5 ($34.0)

OW = $165.7 ($171.7)

Seems destined to finish smack dab between Dark Knight Rises ($160.9) and Potter DH part 2 ($169.2) for the 7th largest opening of all time (unadjusted).   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

24% drop on Sunday seems too optimistic. Likely 28-30%. But anyway, at $167m weekend and 2.4 multiplier it would end up at nearly $401m. If it can get to $390m on its own, WB will open the Fudge Floodgate to reach $400m. 

Even 30% is tad optimistic.   The typical Saturday to Sunday change for Easter is about 39% for all titles - Furious 7 had a stronger than usual Easter, not sure BvS can match it.   Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 35% decline from whatever the Saturday total winds up at.   

• Like 1

I have yet to see a single bad report about BVS.

(You know as one person put it-it is better then most Superman films, except MOS and Supes 1. And Supes 2 the Donnor version)

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Even 30% is tad optimistic.   The typical Saturday to Sunday change for Easter is about 39% for all titles - Furious 7 had a stronger than usual Easter, not sure BvS can match it.   Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 35% decline from whatever the Saturday total winds up at.   

It seems to be matching F7 drops so far maybe a little better so we will see

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

We'll see. There has never been a movie this big open on Easter weekend. Spillover from sellouts on Friday/Saturday likely helped Furious 7 and could help BvS too. 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

We'll see. There has never been a movie this big open on Easter weekend. Spillover from sellouts on Friday/Saturday likely helped Furious 7 and could help BvS too. 

Warner will try to fudge if over IM3 if its anywhere near close as well

Just got back....

I rate it 5 :fry: out of 10

Driving home discussing the movie with my family I realized...

Spoiler

The action  reminds me of the Transformers movies but this and MOS  have weaker stories...  :sadben:

• Like 1

Looking back at it, this opening just shows what a phenomenon THG really was. It's opening adjusts to $167M with no 3D and 2012-level IMAX, so THG definitely sold more tickets on OW than BvS. Goes to show pop culture doesnt really translate accordingly to the screen. THG was a book about teens killing teens that was just 4 years old. Batman and Superman have been around since the 1930's and are two of the most recognizable figures period. Crazy how THG trumps it.

Reminds me of Chris Kyle (who?) obliterating Martin Luther King (Sniper vs Selma). Or Deadpool showing up the more popular and more established XMen. Or even how Zootopia is embarrassing Kung Fu Panda, which has been apart of kids bedspreads since '08. And there's countless other examples. The more popular icon doesn't always win.

Box office is crazy and unpredictable. 

Ps this is not meant to start a BvS/THG flame war, it's just an observation. I have no agenda. Leave me alone.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

Looking back at it, this opening just shows what a phenomenon THG really was. It's opening adjusts to $167M with no 3D and 2012-level IMAX, so THG definitely sold more tickets on OW than BvS. Goes to show pop culture doesnt really translate accordingly to the screen. THG was a book about teens killing teens that was just 4 years old. Batman and Superman have been around since the 1930's and are two of the most recognizable figures period. Crazy how THG trumps it.

Reminds me of Chris Kyle (who?) obliterating Martin Luther King (Sniper vs Selma). Or Deadpool showing up the more popular and more established XMen. Or even how Zootopia is embarrassing Kung Fu Panda, which has been apart of kids bedspreads since '08. And there's countless other examples. The more popular icon doesn't always win.

The flip side of this is that I don't think there is a single superhero movie that would have opened this big after the previous movie had very mixed reception from both critics and audiences while the current one is getting absolutely trashed by critics with mixed response from audiences too. Shows how strong the brand is. Too bad they didn't knock it out of the park either with Man of Steel or BvS. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Changing the subject to good movies for a sec... 

10CL has a good shot at $70m DBO. That's a great total for a genre film with a $15m budget. 

Sigh. It's still 2 weeks away in my country. Can't wait.

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Ps this is not meant to start a BvS/THG flame war, it's just an observation. I have no agenda. Leave me alone.

This will end well when the Hunger Games loonies get here.

7 minutes ago, jandrew said:

BvS doesn't open to it's full potential though. Do you think THG would have made that number with the same kind of critical/audience receptions? Same goes for the other movies you mentioned.

Edited by KATCH-2D2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The Deadpool and X-Men comparison is actually a lot more shocking. Pretty damn amazing how Deadpool has performed.

Deadpool did more than every x men adjusted, the only sh movies to out earn deadpool are IM3, TA movies, and TDK and TDKR, SM1 and 2 aka the top of the class superhero movies it was beyond amazing no matter what happens this year its the biggest box office story domestically, unless SS breaks out and matches or beats it

• Like 1