CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

So over IM3 is probably out of reach huh? Hopefully over 170M, arbitrary and meaningless milestone in the end, but I like nicer numbers like that.  

Edited by Sam
  • Like 5

the-numbers.com is pretty pessimistic about BVS. At one point they predicted 250m dom for the movie (http://www.the-numbers.com/news/211950830-2016-Preview-March).

Now they feel there's a chance of sub-350m dom.

Batman v Superman is on pace for a $172 million opening weekend, which won’t give it a good internal multiplier and there’s a chance it won’t earn $172 million during the rest of its domestic theatrical run.

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/212400830-Friday-Estimates-Superman-Smashes-Records-but-Critical-Reaction-may-be-its-Kryptonite

Edited by a2knet

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Fully expecting a 170M estimate to be given out by WB tomorrow morning. Looks like a new March OW record by a long way.

Maybe, but I could also see them just go with $165-166m. No controversy and pretty decent chance the actuals end up higher in that scenario. 

26 minutes ago, a2knet said:

28-30% drop on Sunday will give 35.5-36.5m

82 + 50.5 + 35.5-36.5 = 168-169m.

Ouch, not even that close to IM3 in the end.

Tough to call 168 a bad number, but it's definitely disappointing.

4 minutes ago, kitik said:

Ouch, not even that close to IM3 in the end.

Tough to call 168 a bad number, but it's definitely disappointing.

Not surprising given MOS critical/audience reception and BvS critical reception. $165-170m looks pretty decent considering...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Still don't get why they're calling it a Cap movie though. Marvel's Civil War seems better.

My guess is that they're calling it a Cap movie because it IS a Cap movie.

Cap (and Winter Soldier and Falcon) will dominate the screentime. The other Avengers (minus Iron Man) will probably only be in 2-3 scenes, and possibly get less than 10 minutes screentime.

17 minutes ago, solaris said:

I hope I'm wrong but CW feels more like a $150m opener than an uber $200m one.

And if it is a "Cap movie" as opposed to an "Avengers movie", then 150 is obviously far more realistic than 200. 168-169 would just about be the highest OW possible, under ideal circumstances, including 85-90% positive on RT and glowing fan reaction from overseas audiences.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Legs won't be that bad. Name factor and curiousity factor will get folks out to see this over the coming weeks.

Over/Under Deadpool is a legit question though.

• Like 2

so i saw this last night and ...i likeeed....it?!

here me out i had no expectations going in ,just doing my moviegoer duty , especially as i am no fan of man of steel heck during the film i kept thinking maybe i should have rewatch the first film because i realized i saw it that one and only time in cinema so wasn't sure if some stuff went unexplained or my memory was faulty legitimately...

this movie is huge upgrade upon its predecessor , now i'll go back and see it because the list of things that had me going huh/wtf/hello logic where did your ass go during last call on giving the script the ok  is long that said for the most part i didnt hold them against the film and i was able to go with the flow and enjoy the action but we'll see if that impression holds up on repeat

ps: my audience clapped at the end i'd say 60% of them so yeah and lots of chatter exiting the screenroom all the way into the metro .

batman brought some well needed balance to superman movie , grounded it and yes affleck did a pretty good job as a been around the block vigilante

last i have to say , i cannot wait for civil war , they do a fine fine job of steering the captain films so far so expecting great stuff from that ( ps if my post is spoilery and i hope it isn't feel free to move it to RTM thread)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, solaris said:

I hope I'm wrong but CW feels more like a $150m opener than an uber $200m one. 

I think you're right. I feel Ultron will have a negative effect on Civil War, the way Man of Steel had a negative effect on BvS. I don't even think CW will hit 150m.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Katniss made Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman her bitches.

She created the March blockbuster spot after all.

B):shades:

MJ2 did finish below MOS :stirthepot:

CF's and THG's 410-425m grosses in 2D are insane and more impressive than most CBMs.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

I think if Rth #s put BvS around 168m, WB will go for 170m in the estimates. I know I would. It's not fudging cause am not advocating changing the actuals. There was so much negativity for BvS 2-3 days before it's release due to RT, that I don't care if WB push the estimates higher for some better publicity. That RT watch was brutal. Next time, full embargo till the day of the release. All tentpoles should do that.

People will just write why the embargo? WoM will destroy anything more effectively than critics. The regularly trashed Transformers series is unkillable. As long as China loves'em, Hollywood will build'em.

Edited by zackzack

4 minutes ago, zackzack said:

People will just write why the embargo? WoM will destroy anything more effectively than critics. The regularly trashed Transformers series is unkillable. As long as China loves'em, Hollywood will build'em.

That's true but the initial bad buzz doesn't help at all. It's not even neutral. With today's tech buzz amplifies and spreads so fast that before WOM gets a chance to spread, a few people make up their minds. Then WOM, if it's contrary to the initial buzz, has to work extra to reverse the buzz. It's like starting a race from a step behind.

Edited by a2knet