CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Really expected this to do better. A film with 3 of DCs most popular characters together for the first time can't even out gross a film with just iron man(iron man 3)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BIGBOSS45 said:

Really expected this to do better. A film with 3 of DCs most popular characters together for the first time can't even out gross a film with just iron man(iron man 3)

IM3 came after Avengers euphoria. BvS is coming after mixed received MoS and it has been the most prejudged film ever. I was expecting a bit more too (Ultron territory), but critics have destroyed that chance. I am not saying that BvS could have managed SW7 opening. Probably, not even TA or JW. But I think the gap relative to Ultron opening could have been quite smaller if the viciousness had not been so big. Do people think that difference in quality between IM3 vs Ultron and BvS is really 79% vs 75% vs 31%? It is a bad joke.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

That's true but the initial bad buzz doesn't help at all. It's not even neutral. With today's tech buzz amplifies and spreads so fast that before WOM gets a chance to spread, a few people make up their minds. Then WOM, if it's contrary to the initial buzz, has to work extra to reverse the buzz. It's like starting a race from a step behind.

That's really not going far enough. The UN should ban all online discussion unless it is positive. 

7 minutes ago, peludo said:

IM3 came after Avengers euphoria. BvS is coming after mixed received MoS and it has been the most prejudged film ever. I was expecting a bit more too (Ultron territory), but critics have destroyed that chance. I am not saying that BvS could have managed SW7 opening. Probably, not even TA or JW. But I think the gap relative to Ultron opening could have been quite smaller if the viciousness had not been so big. Do people think that difference in quality between IM3 vs Ultron and BvS is really 79% vs 75% vs 31%? It is a bad joke.

Not to forget 72% for IM2 :lol:

• Like 1

if CW gets really good reviews and reactions,i can see it breaking a 200m OW, the trailer with spider-man is the most watched marvel trailer so i believe a lot of people is going to watch this just because of spidey.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Hmm...it's at $133.5m.

Needs a $36m Sunday to top DH2. It'll get fudged.

It's at 132.5m. Needs 37m on Sunday, down 26.7% from Saturday. As a comparison F7 decreased by 28.9%.

1 minute ago, BIGBOSS45 said:

Yeah I know it had momentum from avengers but seriously batman, superman and Wonder Woman in the same film. No excuse at all. I watched bvs. Gave it a 6/10. Def has problems. I gave ultron a 9/10 and im3 a 8/10

• Like 1

A rebooted Batman vs a rebooted Superman that got mixed reactions from his own movie that also happens to be a direct sequel to that movie is about to open with 170M. And lets not forget the brutal critical reception. This two brands are a monster.

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, BIGBOSS45 said:

Civil War needs to hit $200m opening weekend then by that logic. Basically the same cast as two films that did $1bn+ worldwide. 

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

A rebooted Batman vs a rebooted Superman that got mixed reactions from his own movie that also happens to be a direct sequel to that movie is about to open with 170M. And lets not forget the brutal critical reception. This two brands are a monster.

That, and the marketing was on another level bringing even more awareness.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

I think you're right. I feel Ultron will have a negative effect on Civil War, the way Man of Steel had a negative effect on BvS. I don't even think CW will hit 150m.

Under 150M? Hardly. Ultron had somewhat mixed reactions, but the all around reception was superior to MOS's. Not to mention, a lot of people were wary of BVS because of Snyder transitioning from one to the other. CW doesn't even have the same director as Ultron, but rather the guys that made the universally cherished Winter Soldier. Plus, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Black Panther, a lot of the new Avengers... only disadvantage that this has over Ultron is that it doesn't have "Avengers" in the title, but rather "Captain America" instead. Still, that's no reason to believe that that CW doesn't debut at ~170M. Especially in the 1st weekend of May, which Marvel Studios has dominated over the course of the last few years.

But back to Dawn Of Justice, 50.5M is good. If it performs like Furious 7, 167-169M should be expected. Potter as the #1 WB opening ever may still be in the game after all.

• Like 5