Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

76 members have voted

1. 1. Review The Phantom Menace

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My least favorite in the series. Jake Lloyd isn't very good and Obi Wan is really given nothing to do for the majority of the film. Still it has plenty of cool moments, the pod race, three way lightsaber duel at the end, and we got a chance to see worlds that weren't possible with the original trilogy. As for Jar Jar, he's doesn't really inspire any feelings either way. B-

2nd non best of the series only above AOTC. While it had some good elements (Qui Gon, Darth Maul, the podracing scene,more planets, etc), it got a little too "kiddie". Before anyone says, they all are, I completely agree. However, they even resorted to poop jokes in this one which puts it a tad over the top. The idea of Anakin as a child is fine, but Jake Lloyd really didn't work.

With all that being said, it is still better than a lot of other movies and is not a bad start to the prequels.

B

I happen to love this film for all that it is I loved the CGI in this film, Jar Jar made me howl, the pod race was breathtaking, Darth Maul was perfect and the lightsabre battle at the end was right up there with the battle in Empire and Return. Natalie Portman was a beautiful queen and Jake Lloyd played young Anakin wonderfully. George Lucas directed with a frenzied energy and John Williams score was heartstopping. It filled you with emotion and I could listen to that soundtrack with the lights off in my room any day or night. The script was funny and it also had it's share of lessons and Jedi folklore. The Jedi council was a great introduction into what Jedi's were like before " A New Hope." Ewan McGregor was perfect as a young Obi Wan Kenobi, even nailing down his accent and dialect perfectly. Liam Neeson was perfectly subdued as the veteran Jedi Master and teacher. And the editting was sensational as it managed to paste together five simultaneous situations at then end and this is what kept you breathless. The Emperor story was also fun and it gave you a history as to where he came from. I loved everything about this film. There are not many films that come out that make you feel like you are back in the 80's when pure entertainment like Raiders and Rambo and Back To The Future graced our screens. But The Phantom Menace does and it concentrates on entertaining the crowd for the full 120 minutes that it is on screen. And this is one of the best movies to come out in the summer of 99 ( I still hold Blair Witch as the pinnacle of all films that summer, TPM is a close second). .You know, there are films that I don't like that make tons of money ( The Whole original Batman Series ) so maybe I speak with a forked tongue when I mention this, but folks, movies like Titanic and TPM don't make 600 and 400 million domestically because of hype and curiosity. They do so because of strong word of mouth. People actually enjoy it. And isn't that what we ultimately want when we see a film? Entertainment? The Phantom Menace does that and it has you leaving the theater feeling that the 20 bucks you spent on a ticket and M&M's is worth it. And that's all I ask for.8.5/10

• Like 5

It's a enjoyable film with some glaring character flaws (Young Anakin and Jar Jar), but the real failing of the film is how the story, while well-done enough as the start of a franchise, kneecaps the story when viewed as a prequel. We don't want to see how Obi-Wan became a Jedi Knight, met Anakin, and then semi-reluctantly takes on his training at the film's very end. We want to see Obi-Wan and Anakin already Master and Apprentice, bantering and cracking wise as they go on adventures and we see over the first film just how close they are. We lose a valuable film of Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship, and that is TPM's ultimate failing.

• Like 2

I tried to watch this together with my son when it came out on DVD but made it only half way through. The charm of the 70s original is completely missing and I didn't care for the CGI. This felt "wrong" on so many levels that I stopped to bother, haven't watched the other prequel parts and have no wish to do so.

The problem with the prequels is summed up in the 3 way lightsaber duel. We're supposed to care about it because we know from the OT that the duels at the end are massively significant. But this isn't. It's 2 personality-vacuum Jedis fighting some guy they never met before (and we know next to nothing about ourselves) just because he's a Sith. He could be any bad guy, it diesnt matter. Lucas doesn't even try to earn any drama. Any tension is derived (and then squandered) because of OT prior knowledge. There's no build up whatsoever, like all the prequels it's just another thing happening in the middle of a bunch of boring things happening. Why Lucas thought the character of qui gon jin was a good idea is anyone's guess.

I loved this when it came out and I still enjoy it very much. I wanted to see Jedis kicking butt and that's what I got. In the beginning, I could overlook how bad Jake Lloyd was but his performance gets more cringeworthy with each viewing. The story was not what I hoped to see (an older Obi-Wan and Anakin), but it's still good. The action is terrific. The rest of the performances are fine. I love Jar Jar. He adds much needed comic relief. Lloyd really brings this film down for me.

B

• Founder / Operator

It's a enjoyable film with some glaring character flaws (Young Anakin and Jar Jar), but the real failing of the film is how the story, while well-done enough as the start of a franchise, kneecaps the story when viewed as a prequel. We don't want to see how Obi-Wan became a Jedi Knight, met Anakin, and then semi-reluctantly takes on his training at the film's very end. We want to see Obi-Wan and Anakin already Master and Apprentice, bantering and cracking wise as they go on adventures and we see over the first film just how close they are. We lose a valuable film of Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship, and that is TPM's ultimate failing.

As a fan, this is such a perfect critique. +1 Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

To be honest I actually like TPM and think it is a bit underrated. It has perhaps the best lightsaber fight (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul), the pod race is fun to watch, a decent space battle scene, and political intrigue. Sure Jar Jar and young Anakin are annoying but the movie is entertaining enough to make me forget about them.B

I enjoy it for what it is, but I don't love it. I'm more curious as to how it looks in 3D. I won't be going until Sunday and I haven't really looked into what critics are saying about the quality of the conversion yet. Anyone care to comment on this?

• Community Manager

I enjoy it for what it is, but I don't love it. I'm more curious as to how it looks in 3D. I won't be going until Sunday and I haven't really looked into what critics are saying about the quality of the conversion yet. Anyone care to comment on this?

Go see it.

I'm about to say something very controversial, but after seeing the brilliance of this movie I have to give it an A-. Yes, Jar Jar Binks, Jake Lloyd, and offensive Neimodian accents are still problems in the movie. Outside of that, holy hell was it great. I remember now why this movie made me a Star Wars fan (despite it being the first Star Wars movie I ever saw) and once I knew to expect all the negative things in the movie, I managed to concentrate on everything right that this movie did.

How could you not love the beginning when the doors open, the negotiation room is full of smoke, and two different lightsabers are seen. FANTASTIC. Probably one of the best scenes in cinema, with such a giddy feeling when you see it. Then there's the Pod Race. Simply a superb scene, filled with rising adrenaline. And the climax? Done almost perfectly.

This movie gets a bad rep (and the negatives are still there), but let's face it: this is just as good as The Return of the Jedi once you remove the nostalgia factor that movie has.

A-

• Like 2

Haha, I did go see it. The 3D was relatively good. As far as conversions go, it was the best I've seen yet (though the 3D trailer for Titanic before it was GORGEOUS). I still enjoyed it. There are moments in Episode I that are really well done amidst quite a few troubles. It was a part of my childhood and I appreciate it more for that reason. However, growing up and looking back with a subjective eye, I understand that dislike towards it. Having said that, the last 30 minutes or so is great - the 3-way lightsaber fight (and podracing sequence) was worth the price of admission alone.

Why does everyone keep mentioning the podrace scene? Has anyone watched F1? That's got to be the most boring scene and worst directed scene I've scene in my life. The same shot over and over and over again. I see more creative action in video games.There is no tension from start to finish. Wow.

I saw it again today and the crowd had a lot of families in it. The kids seemed really entertained. I think that's why Jar Jar is in it as well the Gungins. And this is definitely a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. Neeson is just so bad ass in this. He is the perfect jedi. And the lightsabre battles in 3D are just that much better. It really is a treat to see it on the big screen again.