Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

76 members have voted

1. 1. Review The Phantom Menace

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So, I had to suffer through this movie again. Basically, most of my mates have no taste in film and decided that it would be a good idea to rewatch this. All I can say is that it's more shit than I remembered. Everything except for the pod races bothers the hell out of me. But on the bright side at least it wasn't the 3D version. :lol:

Who the fuck voted an A for that trainwreck? 4 (?!) Votes, you gotta be kidding me...Indulgence can be blindness (and baffling).

(And then you read things like Citizen Kane is merely entertaining and boring... :dunce:  )

I'll never forget that disgusting taste in my mouth after seeing it the first time. I was young but I was not gullible to gush about it just because it was SW stamped. 13 years after, that still haven't change.

Doesn't deserve more than F.

Edited by dashrendar44

Star Wars Marathon

I'm not a fan of Star Wars and I'm making this marathon because It has been almost 10 years since my first (and only) time that I watched the original trilogy.

Episode I - The Phantom Menace

God, I hated Jar Jar Binks and the childish tone of the film, for example, when they are inside Anakin's mother house eating, they're are having a serious conversation, George Lucas must thought "what a boring scene, I should include some distraction for the kids" then he added Jajar making stupid things, why Jajar went to the city in first place? that (Jajar and childish tone) completely destroyed the movie, the terrible scrip just finished the job.

The good things about this movie were the special effects, which still looks impressive today and didn't aged at all, some isolated moments (preferably when Jajar wasn't on screen) and the epic feel to it. The score could have been a lot better, aside from final duel track, I didn't heard anything memorable. They could also have used Anakin's mother (one of the few good actors in the movie) in the posterior films and likely she would also die the third movie, creating a bigger impact on Anakin's life.

Original score: B- (69)

New score: C+ (50)

Edited by Goffe

There are a lot of films out there that I don't think deserve the hate they get. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Superman Returns, Iron Man 2, Avatar, the list goes on. This film, on the other hand, deserves pretty much everything it gets.

While I will admit the effects and choreography is pretty good (although, by today's standard, the CGI is looking a bit dated), but it doesn't make up for a horrible story and dull, wasted characters. Now, I'm of the opinion that not every film needs to have a fantastic story/characters to be good (I enjoy Avatar for it's visuals and Fast and Furious 6 for it's action, even though the story kinda blows in both of them). However, the story/characters need to be at least somewhat tolerable. If they actively piss me off, then it's a bad film (hence why I despise the Transformers films despite them having pretty decent action). However, it may surprise you to learn that young Anakin pissed me off a lot more than Jar Jar Binks (although that's mostly because I'd prepared myself for Jar Jar). The whole 'Virgin Birth' thing pissed me off more than almost anything else I saw in the prequels. The idea of setting Anakin up as some sort of 'Chosen One' is not only one of the most cliche things in existence (along with Prophecies), but it doesn't fit at all with Vader's portrayal in the original trilogy. In the original trilogy, Vader redeems himself trying to save his son in what feels like a very human moment. However, the prequels keep trying to maintain that Vader's turn was only because it was 'his destiny', etc, etc, which just feels like a dump over the original films.

I could rant almost as long on why I hate this as I could on why I hate Man of Steel, but I won't. Instead, I'd just advice people to watch Red Letter Media's review of the Prequel Trilogy. Believe me, they cover pretty much every single thing wrong with the film and what makes it so bad in incredibly detail.

• Like 2

Hands down the best Prequel.

Shot on film, Lightsaber battles, Pod Race sequence, and the incomparable LIAM NEESONS. 

B (85.5)

Not even close. Revenge of the Sith takes it by a mile (although it's still heavily flawed and definitely not comparable to the originals).

Is the Red Letter Media review the 70 minute one?

Yeah. Squaremaster just posted it above you.

Edited by rukaio101