CaptainJackSparrow

Skull Island | 258 mil OS - 392 mil WW

My expectations have lowered significantly. I don't think this will touch $300 million overseas, even with China. With BatB's performance so far, the drops are looking to be too severe.

Edited by NoobSaibot

2 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

My expectations have lowered significantly. I don't think this will touch $300 million overseas, even with China. With BatB's performance so far, the drops are looking to be too severe.

This has a shot at like 150m in China alone. I would think 150m from the other territories would be a easy given. I see 350-400 OS.

Edited by Cookson

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

This has a shot at like 150m in China alone. I would think 150m from the other territories would be a easy given. I see 350-400 OS.

Looking back on my post, you're probably right. I wasn't in the best of moods when I typed that.

This movie will definitely need China and Japan, if it even thinks about making 500 million worldwide. It's not locked, in my view. Not with BATB eating a lot of legs and screens. 

Peter Jackson's Kong made 550 million worldwide, and that number was considered disappointing 12 freaking years ago. So, anything less than 500 million for this movie ( with inflated ticket prices ) obviously will be considered disappointing.

• Like 1

It'll get to 500m WW. At least 40m from the US and 50m from current OS markets get it to 350m. It'll probably nibble and get more out of those too.... At a minimum that 150m remaining for China and Japan. It'll do it.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This movie will definitely need China and Japan, if it even thinks about making 500 million worldwide. It's not locked, in my view. Not with BATB eating a lot of legs and screens. 

Peter Jackson's Kong made 550 million worldwide, and that number was considered disappointing 12 freaking years ago. So, anything less than 500 million for this movie ( with inflated ticket prices ) obviously will be considered disappointing.

WB should release Kong after BatB in some markets.Showtimes and Imax screens hurt a lot.China doesn't have BtaB effect.Musical can't do too big.China can eat up Big monster film.550-600M WW still possible.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

WB should release Kong after BatB in some markets.Showtimes and Imax screens hurt a lot.China doesn't have BtaB effect.Musical can't do too big.China can eat up Big monster film.550-600M WW still possible.

I hope it makes 500 million at least. Kong was quite good and really fun. :)

Screendaily

Legendary-Warner Bros’ Kong: Skull Island added $38.5m at the weekend as the latest ‘MonsterVerse’ instalment reached $149.2m.

The UK generated $3.3m for $13.5m and second place, and South Korea $2.5m for $11.1m. The tentpole ranks number one in France on $2.4m for $7.3m, and in Australia grossed $2.4m for $7.2m.

Brazil added $2m for $6.9m, while Russia took in $2m for a market total of $9.3m. Taiwan added $1.5m for $6m, Malaysia $1.5m for $4.8m, and Spain $987,000 for $3.2m.

Vietnam grossed $1.2m to beat Beauty And The Beast and reached $5.3m, ranking as the second biggest film of all time in the territory behind Furious 7.

Kong will roar into China and Japan this week.

• Like 2

I'm not expecting it to break out in Japan until I hear otherwise. Godzilla made $30 million there, yes. But that was the first Godzilla film in 10 years. And he's arguably an easier sell than King Kong.

Not sure how Kong: Skull Island will be received there. I'm hoping it cracks $20 million, but I'm worried it will only make numbers like Pacific Rim ($14-15 million). Perhaps my fears are unfounded, though.

Edited by NoobSaibot