kayumanggi

Monday Numbers: 15.05 M BVS | About a 55% drop, better than F7 Easter Monday. EPIC CJohn meltdown starts Page 18.

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I personally think it's a quirky little factoid that its fourth Monday is its biggest. I think you're downplaying the significance of Zootopia's longevity. It made more on its 25th day than Home did on its 11th day.

Seriously? You are comparing Zoo with a film that didn't play at the same level? I'm not down playing Zoo at all - Disney hit the motherload with a perfect release date and got the WOM boost that happens once in a while. It's not hard to see what went right when a lot could have gone wrong. And to be frank the 4.7 Zoo made on an inflated Monday is just as impressive as Home making 4.5m on the same inflated Monday the previous year - and thats the only point of comparison - its not fair to either Zoo or Home to compare the days that don't match on a calendar (besides the fact that Home was operating from a lower gross point to begin with!) Thats like saying xxx film is not as impressive because SW7 made XX on day XX - seriously. 

Realize that your stanning for Zoo is no different than those who are "hating" on BvS (or stanning for it) and that the film is what it is and is doing great - and just enjoy it without trying to see things that aren't truly there (and get ready for a great hold this weekend.)

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

Seriously? You are comparing Zoo with a film that didn't play at the same level? I'm not down playing Zoo at all - Disney hit the motherload with a perfect release date and got the WOM boost that happens once in a while. It's not hard to see what went right when a lot could have gone wrong. And to be frank the 4.7 Zoo made on an inflated Monday is just as impressive as Home making 4.5m on the same inflated Monday the previous year - and thats the only point of comparison - its not fair to either Zoo or Home to compare the days that don't match on a calendar (besides the fact that Home was operating from a lower gross point to begin with!) Thats like saying xxx film is not as impressive because SW7 made XX on day XX - seriously. 

Realize that your stanning for Zoo is no different than those who are "hating" on BvS (or stanning for it) and that the film is what it is and is doing great - and just enjoy it without trying to see things that aren't truly there (and get ready for a great hold this weekend.)

If I reply to this, will you type another two paragraphs?

• Like 1

Just now, aliadiere29 said:

All I know is, this movie is going to make a very nice profit for WB.

Question is: is it enough?

This and Fantastic Beasts was supposed to be the holy grail saving WB from two consecutively poor years under Tsujiwara.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

This is nuts. 

A litmus test? Do you simply not grasp the concept that some (or occasionally even many) people have different tastes than you? Your disagreement doesn't invalidate their opinion any more than theirs invalidates yours. 

Do YOU not grasp with reading the reviews that a majority of them are tone policing the movie? The movie is too serious, too dark, too grim especially with a hero like superman in it. Many critics saying they don't like superman struggling or batman being a bully which is again character policing. If they accept that this universe exists, this tone exists and these character trait exists then review the movie itself, I can bet the RT score wouldn't be less than 60 especially considering most if not all of them begrudgingly admit it's Better than man of steel yet its sequel is 30 points less on RT. 

And yes yes you are right it's a different taste they review the tone and character trait as they see should be rather than what it is , it's as if they want the viewers to see their version of superheroes rather than Snyder's version and ignoring if the existing set of tone and Hero's make a good movie or not if you ignore the tone and character traits 

I would guess the $92m estimate for participation and residuals is not just for box office, but also TV/home video. Probably around half of the $92m is box office, let's call it $46m. So the total cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $460m if you are strictly looking at the film's theatrical expenses vs. theatrical revenue of around $410m. So they would be about $50m in the hole before ancillary stuff kicks in. Luckily for them the home video return on investment is very good and the TV rights are a huge bonus for any of these big movies. No expense on the TV rights. Just cash the big check from the TV networks and apply that revenue against your theatrical/home video expenses.

2 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Question is: is it enough?

This and Fantastic Beasts was supposed to be the holy grail saving WB from two consecutively poor years under Tsujiwara.

Of course it's enough. It's probably going to make at least a $200m profit. Not bad for a movie that's been nothing but bashed by a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aliadiere29 said:

Indeed. If stays above 10m by Thursday, it has a good shot at 70m this weekend.

Historical trends would make it difficult to be over 9m on Thursday let alone 10m. Should drop around -10%, -30% & -5-10% before heading into the weekend. Could be better or worse by a percentage or two, just the nature of the time of year - has nothing to do with the film itself.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

:rofl:

Haters are now creating fake holidays to have an excuse for the movie performing over expectations, that's hilarious

No, actually, Easter Monday is actually a thing. At least in Canada it is.

Not sure about you, but when I hear people stereotype Canada, they don't exactly refer to us as "haters" :P

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Question is: profitsnough?

This and Fantastic Beasts  was supposed to be the holy grail saving WB from two consecutively poor years under Tsujiwara.

Of course its enough. Theyre still swimming in profots From Potter and TDK.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aliadiere29 said:

Of course it's enough. It's probably going to make at least a $200m profit. Not bad for a movie that's been nothing but bashed by a lot of people.

Probably no where near what they were hoping for though.

13 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Its not that simple syntax.... the studio does not need to double its money in order to break even. That's not how it works.

For example and this is just one example, a studio in the first two weeks of a release gets anywhere between 75 and 90% of the gross from a theater. There are all kinds of things that go on in the movie business that nerds like us don't have any true gradp of. We think we do but we don't. Those who actually work in the industry know a whole lot better than we do and I have spoken to a few of them as have a few others and it is definitely not a 2 to 1 ratio for a studio to break even.

They changed the staggered revenue split when theaters started going out of business several years ago as movies became more and more front loaded.  It's now 50/50 or 55/45 split depending on the film and contracts from week one.

• Like 4