kayumanggi

Monday Numbers: 15.05 M BVS | About a 55% drop, better than F7 Easter Monday. EPIC CJohn meltdown starts Page 18.

10 minutes ago, aliadiere29 said:

All I know is, this movie is going to make a very nice profit for WB.

And depending on how their agreement with DC handles merchandising rights . . . they could make a very big sum of money even outside direct film revenue.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

No, they count China separate due to the fact Hollywood only gets 25% of the revenue from China in exchange for the Chinese government covering the distribution cost. So they are giving it $550m overseas (including $100m from China) and $375m domestic for a $925m worldwide total. I figure it should be able to at least get past $600m overseas, probably even match or exceed TDKR's $636m. But it's also by no means a guarantee to reach $375m domestic. Could go $20-25m lower than that if legs are bad.

I think the $550m is looking pretty accurate, might even be a bit high.  Of it's $254m O/S made about $150m from FSS - China.  China will give it another $45m. (=$300m)  It would need a 3x multiplier outside of China to hit $600m O/S.  With a 2.5 (150 x 1.5 = 225m)  it hits about $525m O/S.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Of course its enough. Theyre still swimming in profots From Potter and TDK.

Right, because successes in the past (both before the current leadership team came in) excuses poor results in the last 2 fiscal years. Time Warner isn't the forgiving type.

9 minutes ago, aliadiere29 said:

Of course it's enough. It's probably going to make at least a $200m profit. Not bad for a movie that's been nothing but bashed by a lot of people.

Compared to expectations prior to release/reviews? I'd argue that they expected it to do better.

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I think youre on the recipe of being a troll syntax. My suggestion is to stop while you still can.

Trolling? I haven't said anything derogatory.

Just posting my opinions (with decent justification I think, too). It's fine to have different opinions; I'm not forcing them on you or anything. Isn't healthy discourse the point of a forum? Have I offended you?

The thread title itself asks whether its a good hold or 'crumbling'.

Edited by syntaxerror

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's very odd to me that so many act as if other films that were thrashed by critics have not opened enormously and made money in the recent past. It's actually not that uncommon among mega releases.

Transformers 2 - Transformers 3 - Twilight 2 - Twilight 3 - Twilight 4 - Pirates 3 - Alice In Wonderland - Many more.

I don't remember the critics all admitting they were wrong about any of those movies.  ?

folks who think Disney is conspiring are nutjobs however critics themselves refuse to accept a grim version of superman if given a choice between donnerverse and snyderverse . They refuse to accept a version of batman who can pull a gun trigger at a person and they refuse to accept movies which are serious and not fun. This is why you see movies like Thor 2 or iron man 3 which were as 'bad' as bvs but rated very highly because they review the movie not the tone or the character traits for such films. I think for critics there is a litmus test of what the tone or character traits should be for them to then review the movie 

Amazing.   After decades of critics lavishing praise on grim, depressing, angst filled fare and ignoring anything which was upbeat....now suddenly just in time for a new DC movie, everything has now switched around and critics now love happy stuff instead.   I guess we are supposed to forget the term oscar-bait exists or the Decades of cliches about Awards being given out to teeth gnashing overwrought depressing performances?

Phantom Menacing is a powerful form of denial.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, aliadiere29 said:

Of course it's enough. It's probably going to make at least a $200m profit. Not bad for a movie that's been nothing but bashed by a lot of people.

Seriously, and I use this post as an example, what kind of crap is this ? There was a reason this movie was bashed, it looked like a disaster waiting to happen from the beginning . Everything about it was fundamentally wrong from the start and the final product shows it . What did you expect, critics to praise this movie ? We had DC fanboys boasting for over 2 years about how the whole world was expecting the 2 "icons" to appear in the same movie and how it would destroy every other CB movie and now that the bo results are mediocre, at best, we see conspiracy theories and excuses  .

Just drop it , the movie won't turn a big , if at all, profit for WB in its theatrical release , it isn't a strong start for the DC movie universe and now casts  a shadow over all the upcoming DC movies . People that don't want to see this are just in denial .

If I was a DC fan I would bash Warner just like I bashed the ASM atrocities, that people were also defending and claiming how they made a "profit" . The profit was so great that Sony had to loan the SM character to Disney just to redeem him as a valuable asset .

Edited by Thrylos 7
Add something
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think the $550m is looking pretty accurate, might even be a bit high.  Of it's $254m O/S made about $150m from FSS - China.  China will give it another $45m. (=$300m)  It would need a 3x multiplier outside of China to hit $600m O/S.  With a 2.5 (150 x 1.5 = 225m)  it hits about $525m O/S.

We'll see. Most overseas markets are not anywhere near as frontloaded as either China or North America.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They changed the staggered revenue split when theaters started going out of business several years ago as movies became more and more front loaded.  It's now 50/50 or 55/45 split depending on the film and contracts from week one.

Thanks for letting me know.  I had no idea.  I guess that makes sense especially with illegal downloads being so prevalent now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Right, because successes in the past (both before the current leadership team came in) excuses poor results in the last 2 fiscal years. Time Warner isn't the forgiving type.

Compared to expectations prior to release/reviews? I'd argue that they expected it to do better.

Trolling? I haven't said anything derogatory.

Just posting my opinions (with decent justification I think, too). It's fine to have different opinions; I'm not forcing them on you or anything. Isn't healthy discourse the point of a forum? Have I offended you?

The thread title itself asks whether its a good hold or 'crumbling'.

But you are assuming this is a failure and yes you are trolling.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Of course its enough. Theyre still swimming in profots From Potter and TDK.

Series that ended in 2012 and 2011 really don't help the current administration (Tsujihara  was named CEO  in 2013) or satisfy the stock holders. 

Regardless, financially I think BvS will do more than well enough to satisfy them even if they were hoping for more.

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Seriously, and I use this post as an example, what kind of crap is this ? There was a reason this movie was bashed, it looked like a disaster waiting to happen from the beginning . Everything about it was fundamentally wrong from the start and the final product shows it . What did you expect, critics to praise this movie ? We had DC fanboys boasting for over 2 years about how the whole world was expecting the 2 "icons" to appear in the same movie and how it would destroy every other CB movie and now that the no results are mediocre, at best, we see conspiracy theories and excuses  .

Just drop it , the movie won't turn a big , if at all, profit for WB in its theatrical release , it isn't a strong start for the DC movie universe and now casts  a shadow over all the upcoming DC movies . People that don't want to see this are just in denial .

If I was a DC fan I would bash Warner just like I bashed the ASM atrocities, that people were also defending and claiming how they made a "profit" . The profit was so great that Sony had to loan the SM character to Disney just to redeem him as a valuable asset .

So now your opinion is fact?

giphy.gif

• Like 11

4 hours ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I've lived in either South Carolina or Tennessee (the Bible Belt) my entire life and have never even heard of 'Easter Monday'.  Good Friday, sure, but I don't and have never known a single business or office to close on the Monday following Easter so I don't think we can view this as a holiday drop unless it's strictly related to the North/West/Midwest which wouldn't make sense.

It's a Catholic/Eastern.Orthodox thing. It's actually called Bright Monday.

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They changed the staggered revenue split when theaters started going out of business several years ago as movies became more and more front loaded.  It's now 50/50 or 55/45 split depending on the film and contracts from week one.

Thanks for lwtting

Grim's link (a couple of pages back) with Deadline's very rough approximations on profitability should end that particular discussion once and for all. The movie's gonna clear a couple hundred million in profit (after all expenses are accounted for). DHD's numbers may not be exact (they don't have access to any line item budget or anything), and obviously they're projecting many numbers, but their estimates should be way better than any of ours, especially when it comes to all the ancillary costs and revenues that we basically just wildly guess at.

This is gonna be a major success for WB and DC, financially. Maybe not the absolute pinnacle of success that they might've gotten with universal acclaim, but an expensive blockbuster turning a couple hundred million in profit is nothing to sneer at either. (Seriously, look at DHD's profitability breakdowns over the last couple of years to see how few movies reach that mark).

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, water said:

can someone explain to me why deathly hallows part 2 had such a good monday hold (19m)

Noctis Has a very rich family.

• Like 16

Wow.  Great Monday Hold.   It's frontloadness over the weekend was clealy due to Easter Holiday.  Honestly most families are in Church or having dinner at home or resturants instead of going to the movies.   Hopefully this boads well for it's 2nd weekend drop.