WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

We agree to disagree. Tomorrowland is beyond absurd. Nothing made in the last few years touches the absurdity of the last 20 minutes of that movie. 

Martha?

Just now, Telemachos said:

Gotta say, I didn't expect the weekend thread to turn into this topic. :lol: 

It's better than everyone calling each other penisbreath over a superhero movie, right?

(Btw I crack up every time I think about the kid calling his brother penisbreath in ET)

• Like 6

well that number is so anti-climatic. High enough to not be the lowest but low enough to not save the weekend... *sigh*

its strictly mediocre (I would insert the Mad Max Gif, but for some reason I can't seem to figure out how lol)

Edited by narniadis

4 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

They're not atheists, they're antitheists. Some of them like Christopher Hitchens precisely define themselves as that.

"I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."

Hitch was so goddamn entertaining though.  I mean whatever one thought of him, the guy was undeniably funny, combative on TV, and immensely knowledgeable on a wide range of issues.  I was really bummed out when he croaked.

• Like 1

Just a few hours ago I was listening to Arvo Pärt, who's super fucking religious, but my man has found peace in faith and channels that into his compositions. Which are some of the most beautiful minimalist pieces ever btw. So there's that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Definitely under 50m now. 47.5 to 49.5 

I would bet that no matter how low it goes from 50, WB will spin it above in estimates tomorrow.

They already did it once for opening weekend and they'll do it again here.

Just now, department store basement said:

I'm so so sorry.

Everyone was bringing up how these Christian films are hamfisted and I wanted to ask if atheist films are also hamfisted. Sorry for going off the rails.

Are there really any atheist films? I'm talking non-documentaries here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

As interesting as the theology discussion is, and believe me, I'm more than grateful that y'all are discussing it cordially and decently, it should continue in Politics or Real World. 

lmao

• Like 2

Just now, department store basement said:

I'm so so sorry.

Everyone was bringing up how these Christian films are hamfisted and I wanted to ask if atheist films are also hamfisted. Sorry for going off the rails.

I mean I think any film structured around a specific ideology, driven by the ideology's extremists is going to end up hamfisted. There's gotta be a balance between message and art for these things to work outside a core audience 

• Like 2

Just now, cannastop said:

Are there really any atheist films? I'm talking non-documentaries here.

I seriously know people that would say any film not made with direct references to the christian God are atheist... but then again that same group doesn't generally watch much TV anyways...

Just now, Chewy said:

I mean I think any film structured around a specific ideology, driven by the ideology's extremists is going to end up hamfisted. There's gotta be a balance between message and art for these things to work outside a core audience 

Also a lot of these Christian movies look like.. well, TV movies. Passion of the Christ at least felt like a real film.

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

I seriously know people that would say any film not made with direct references to the christian God are atheist... but then again that same group doesn't generally watch much TV anyways...

The same type of people who are mortally offended at Zootopia having characters say "oh my god" and "sweet cheese and crackers" I bet.

• Like 1