Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

People speculating about quality? 

The MCU has been mostly generic action and had no problems with American critics and audiences. 

I think Falcon and the Winter Soldier being utterly B-movie trash that would normally star the likes of Willis or Grillo (or Mackie lol) and still receiving rave reviews shows the critical capture of reviewers. 

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

42 minutes ago, BK007 said:

People speculating about quality? 

The MCU has been mostly generic action and had no problems with American critics and audiences. 

I think Falcon and the Winter Soldier being utterly B-movie trash that would normally star the likes of Willis or Grillo (or Mackie lol) and still receiving rave reviews shows the critical capture of reviewers. 

It's interesting that FATWS did much better with critics than with fans. RT: critics score 89%, Audience 72%, IMDB (also audience) 7.4 and Metracritic (audience) 5.3. I guess fans saw it for what it is, B-level. It's by far the worst received MCU D+ show. WV also did better with critics than with audience but audience liked it much more than FATWS. RT critics 91%, audience 81%, IMDB 8.1, metacritic (audience) 6.8. Loki fares the best so far (everyone loves Hiddleston) and if they don't shit the bed in the next 3 episodes, it might remain the best received. RT critics 96%, audience 89%, IMDB 9.1, metacritics (audience) 6.4.

22 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Loki fares the best so far (everyone loves Hiddleston) and if they don't shit the bed in the next 3 episodes, it might remain the best received. RT critics 96%, audience 89%, IMDB 9.1, metacritics (audience) 6.4.

I seen the critic score for episode 3 dropped to 84%, so we’ll see. 

Black Widow marketing should kick into high gear next week! 

1 minute ago, TheDude391 said:

Where can I find these reactions, when I try searching on twitter it's flooded by MCU stans.

Search the BlackWidow tag and click “Latest”. None of them are terrible. They are a mix of “this was neat, but not really needed” to “it’s okay but omg David Harbour and Florence Pugh 😍😍” to the standard “Marvel did it again!!” Conscious seems to be: story is thin, but the action is great. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cap said:

Search the BlackWidow tag and click “Latest”. None of them are terrible. They are a mix of “this was neat, but not really needed” to “it’s okay but omg David Harbour and Florence Pugh 😍😍” to the standard “Marvel did it again!!” Conscious seems to be: story is thin, but the action is great. 

I missed the days when “mixed” reviews inferred a polarizing reaction. Most positive MCU reviews (outside of stans obviously) might usually go “liked it but _____.” 

The only thing these non-media embargoed folks reacting indicates is that this is probably mid-tier MCU. Take that what you will. 

Edited by RRA

Seems pretty much as expected. “Taskmaster sucks, Yelena is awesome” is worse than both being awesome, but leagues better than “Taskmaster awesome, Yelena sucks.”

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cap said:

And... 

lzj3ai4w02n61.jpg

1 hour ago, RRA said:

I missed the days when “mixed” reviews inferred a polarizing reaction. Most positive MCU reviews (outside of stans obviously) might usually go “liked it but _____.” 

The only thing these non-media embargoed folks reacting indicates is that this is probably mid-tier MCU. Take that what you will. 

I mean, the "Mixed, let's call it Mixed Reviews" gif IS a longstanding meme around these parts.  Particularly when something is getting good/decent-but-not-stellar reviews.  Often used in an almost self-mocking manner by fans of a franchise.  

I blame @aabattery, personally. :sadno:

Speaking of which.  @Cap, you use this meme and don't tag the fella who popularized it on this board?

BeIswMo.gif

Spoiler

The irony of the gif, of course, is that the fella in that gif was getting absolutely SAVAGE reviews and he decided to try to cheer himself up by proclaiming them "mixed".  But what's the fun in restricting that meme to only films that get terribad reviews? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know it won't be rotten going through all the reactions.

But just imagine that , all decade worth of good will that MCU created will go down in drain because of this. The meltdowns will be funny af. Anyways, I am really excited because Pugh has been receiving lot of praise and she was my main reason to watch the movie.

Maybe we can have better Black Widow Sequel ?? who knows.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

I mean, the "Mixed, let's call it Mixed Reviews" gif IS a longstanding meme around these parts.  Particularly when something is getting good/decent-but-not-stellar reviews.  Often used in an almost self-mocking manner by fans of a franchise.  

See I never liked this GIF/meme used in the context of "good not great reviews". The context in the movie is Conner4Real's new album is getting panned by critics, with one of them just giving a poop emoji as its score, which then cues him to say "Mixed, let's call it mixed reviews."

The context here on BOT should be when a film is getting slammed by critics. That way the reference makes more sense and the joke is therefore funnier. When I saw Cap's picture, I thought people were dumping on the movie.

• Like 2