Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I'm traumtized every time this thread updates for I expect a delay news any time now. :sadno:

At this point I'd prefer a delay, no point releasing it when people can't/won't go to the movies.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Don't think behind the scenes all the studios are not in panic mode over the virus and drawing up contingency plans now.

Real problem is even if the theaters are not closed by the government, a lot of people are going avoid crowds whenever possible.

Very true. It's one thing for theatres to be open but another for people to actually go. Even if some do go to see it, how many would be staying home who would've otherwise gone?

• Like 2

The cut off point for moving is when the final contracts with the theaters is signed, and presales begin.

Once that happens, moving it becomes a expensive and legally complicated  mess. Disney could still do it, but would have to pay some stiff penalaties to the theaters.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Based on them confidently saying that they won't delay Mulan, Disney is certainly not delaying this until when Mulan flops.

Not delaying Mulan because they are legally commited to the opening date when they signed the contracts with the theaters and presales begun.

Also most of the marketing money has been spent on the final month;s push. They do not have those problems with BLack Widow.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/03/black-widow-f9-no-time-to-die-coronavirus-impact-on-box-office-1202874214/

Currently, Disney is adamant that they’re not moving the May 1 release date of Black Widow...

Many in the distribution sphere heard rumors that Disney would move Black Widow to Marvel’s Eternals Nov. 6 release date (and thus that Angelina Jolie movie would head to 2021), but that’s not the plan at hand according to the studio. I understand Disney is telling its exhibition partners that they’re staying the course with their current release slate.

The historical box office champ has the bandwidth to weather sour box office patches with its brand fare, not to mention they have the feasibility to reschedule movie event films around the calendar given their grip on key dates. Still, it’s markets like South Korea and China that make Marvel movies. Captain Marvel, another femme superhero movie, saw its massive global debut of $456.7M found 35% of that gross fueled by Asian territories (sans Japan which went later, and not counting Australia and Russia). 

• Like 1

Big question with the MCU is The Eternals;will Marvel Studios want to keep the Nov 6th date with No Time To Die opening the week after?

Even for Marvel that is very heavy competition.

Edited by dudalb

The problem is that with Marvel now doing 4 films a year from 2021 onwards it becomes difficult to move films back now. I think 2020 being a light year is a blessing in disguise for them as they can move Black Widow back without having to move anything else.

Though Eternals in December would make a killing.

37 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Big question with the MCU is The Eternals;will Marvel Studios want to keep the Nov 6th date with No Time To Die opening the week after?

I think Marvel will just move The Eternals to late October overseas and keep the US release the same as it doesn't come out in the US until Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Said on the news UK they are moving state from containment to delay.

That means they expect the situation to deteriorate.

Expect large gatherings including cinemas to be on the list of things to shut down.

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

after reading the comment again, it seems that only uk will be released on nov 12 , with the rest of the markets plus us on 25

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Lol, you are commenting this on every thread. 

Maybe check the release calendar before typing. 

This year holiday period is actually weak compared to last 3/4 years. 

12 hours ago, Valonqar said:

either way, whether she stays put or moves back few months, BW is now going to be the first super spy movie of the year which should only help the hype. There's no Bond to take a bit of spy thunder. 

I don't think that would have made any difference. It's an MCU superhero movie. I doubt people watching it solely to get their fill of Bond/M:I spy shenanigans. 

Any yes, they're idiots if they don't move it. The situation will be considerably worse in a month. 

Edited by Hatebox