Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

Was just poking around Disney+ and saw this:

pYrCx0j.png

It looks so pretty. 🥰

Also in better news, Event Cinemas haven't been showing Disney movies until almost their release dates since I think they were mad with Disney for their missing theatres with Soul and Mulan, but with Cruella they put it up at least 10 days before (might've been more but not sure). But I checked and now both BW and Shang-Chi are listed, so I'm happy about that.

Now all I'm waiting for is for tickets to go on sale because I will be buying the fuck out of them for IMAX previews asap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Also, isn’t it too early to call Eternals a “serious awards contender”?

Definitely. People are getting carried away with that kind of talk. Not saying it won’t be a good film, but nothing about it so far screams “locked for a Best Picture nomination”. An academy award winner directing it doesn’t guarantee anything, just ask Taika Waititi.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gamora said:

Was just poking around Disney+ and saw this:

pYrCx0j.png

It looks so pretty. 🥰

Also in better news, Event Cinemas haven't been showing Disney movies until almost their release dates since I think they were mad with Disney for their missing theatres with Soul and Mulan, but with Cruella they put it up at least 10 days before (might've been more but not sure). But I checked and now both BW and Shang-Chi are listed, so I'm happy about that.

Now all I'm waiting for is for tickets to go on sale because I will be buying the fuck out of them for IMAX previews asap.

Shang-Chi had been up for a while but Black Widow is fairly new, I think it went about about 4-5 days ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Shang-Chi had been up for a while but Black Widow is fairly new, I think it went about about 4-5 days ago. 

Interesting. I thought I checked every time I went to look for BW but maybe I just didn't see BW and figured they wouldn't have put SC up either. Seems strange since they've been mad at Disney for a while, but I'm glad they're up now. I will be curious to see how they go with the BW release because I noticed they don't have Cruella being advertised on the main page, it's AQP2 on the first two slides and then other random movies/promotions but zero Cruella. Will they refuse to advertise like that for an MCU movie they know will make bank or not? I'll be looking that's for sure.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Definitely. People are getting carried away with that kind of talk. Not saying it won’t be a good film, but nothing about it so far screams “locked for a Best Picture nomination”. An academy award winner directing it doesn’t guarantee anything, just ask Taika Waititi.

I get your point, but Taika hasn’t directed anything yet since winning an Oscar.

But also, nothing should be considered a “serious awards contender” or locked for a BP nom until after it‘s screened. If you are, you’re probably baiting (I’m looking at you, Mank).

Crazier things have happened, but consider how long it took for the Academy to even nominate one of those spandex movies for the top prize. Equivalent to a kid playing with a vegetable on a dinner plate they don't want to eat. The first one had to not just break the glass ceiling, but dynamite it. The second had to go 180 away from anything "comic book" (however you interpret that) to,the point that it could be accused of being "elevated horror" for that spectrum (i.e. made for folks who despise that genre) and both movies ended up winning the same number of Oscars...none of which was Best Picture. 

I'm sure Eternals is fine, hey a top MCU title? Cool. But I'm getting vibes of when top Disney brass back in the day thought Pocahontas was going to win BP, after Beauty & the Beast a few years before that became the first toon movie nominated. (Narrator: "It didn't happen.") It's why I find it weird when people online are having Eternals/Dune partisan spats about which will get the BP nod more likely and it's like (to use a football analogy) debating if Detroit Lions or Houston Texans will win the Super Bowl next season. It's possible, but odds are comfortably high that neither will.

Anyway back to main topic, I'm curious to see how BW does. I've wondered/worried that it might be an afterthought what with this avalanche of MCU stuff we're getting this year where even the faithful would be "yeah yeah OK" instead of being amped up AF like they can be. Of course sometimes we in the Internet Movie Bubble forget, its still an original Avengers member still getting her own (first) movie. That still counts for something. 

• Haha 1

32 days to gooooo. I swear it's not going to feel real sitting down in IMAX and finally watching this. The first trailer was released 18 months ago and it feels like an eternity and an entire lifetime ago (and that's not even including the multiple years waiting for a BW movie to even be given the go ahead on top of the pandemic stress).

At least I have Loki to distract me in the meantime but also that just reminds me I'm going to be watching this when Loki episode five is on, so I'll have that to look at when I get home. 7th July sure is going to be something. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Every 2 weeks Marvel release a "look" of BW which is basically same footage and dialogue we are seeing since last 1.5 years now.

probably the whole movie is a infinite replay of these clips.

• Haha 2

On 5/31/2021 at 8:53 AM, Maggie said:

It's totally possible.

About Eternals not being the film screened because of plot leaks...Marvel must know the plot has leaked online, right? I don't know how. I thought Marvel/disney didn't do test screenings...or am i thinking of the wrong studio?

Marvel still do test screenings but they're really careful with it and it's done in-house, it gets more strict depending on the type of movie (i.e. Avengers movies) but I'll assume as Eternals was standalone they had a bit more of a standard test screening process.

Warner Brothers on the other hand outsource their test screenings, very early on in the process as well, which is why all of their movies get info leaked like a year prior (weird choice to still continue to do so, esp so early, when majority of them have been poorly reviewed anyway)

Showtimes for BW have started to go up on Cinemark's corp site.

Previews start at 5pm, and 3D is still a go.

No Opening Night Fan Event near as I can tell, though IIRC one of the last Disney films to get one was restricted to AMC (on a Saturday, for some random reason), so that might not say much.

Either way, tickets look to be on sale soon.  Wouldn't shock me to see them go on sale on Wed as a tie-in to Loki.  Could just be Cinemark setting up extra early tho.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

Showtimes for BW have started to go up on Cinemark's corp site.

Previews start at 5pm, and 3D is still a go.

No Opening Night Fan Event near as I can tell, though IIRC one of the last Disney films to get one was restricted to AMC (on a Saturday, for some random reason), so that might not say much.

Either way, tickets look to be on sale soon.  Wouldn't shock me to see them go on sale on Wed as a tie-in to Loki.  Could just be Cinemark setting up extra early tho.

Should have mentioned this, and a quick scan of the thread doesn't say anything:

Film Length: 2h 13m

Don't know if this was already common-ish knowledge or not.

• Like 1