Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Homecoming made 117 m opening weekend.

Presales and advance tickets take up a bigger share of opening weekends and grosses every year. So ticket sales for a 2021 movie will almost always outpace sales from a 2016 and 2017 movie. The only apt comparisons when it comes to this kind of stuff, though still not perfect, is comparing movies from this year and maybe last year (or I guess in this case two years ago).

So the fact this is outpacing F9's ticket sales is a better, stronger indicator on how the movie's doing, as the basement for this film looks to be 70M.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, is this movie in the vein of Fant4stic and New Mutants - did it forget to be a superhero movie 1st (before its secondary genre)?  Of the 1st 3 reviewers here, I'm seeing that the best moments are when it's not a superhero movie (the "quiet" family scenes between action).  So, did it just fail at the superheroing part or skip it entirely (like the 2 I mentioned)?  I'm actually curious now...

The superhero stuff is the same as it always is. Highly choreographed with stunt actors and CG. Is what it is. 

if that’s all there was then people would have got tired of these movies a long time ago. They kind of have to be there, and they’re perfectly decent scenes - but I’d rather they just stop punching and instead tell me a story. That’s just me though. 

I think the success of the MCU shows have proven that. As they can’t be as elaborate on the action front, it means more time is spent not kicking, punching and throwing stuff. And they’re all the better for it imo. 

There’s plenty of action though if that’s what you’re into. It’s what it’s always like, so don’t worry. 

I don’t think critics are going easy on it either. The character work and themes central to the story are very strong.  

Edited by wildphantom

My thoughts on the movie, I watched it like 12 hours ago:

Spoiler

Surprisingly gut-wrenching and emotional. This is the darkest I've seen the MCU go... ever. The entire cast is great, the story is interesting. I cried multiple times throughout the movie, including the post-credits scene and I am ANGRY they did not make this movie earlier, but am glad we at least have this story to really solidify BW's legacy. 

I know people won't be happy about how Taskmaster is portrayed, but I don't read the comics so I hold no attachment to how that character is in the story. 

The action was pretty good, though Natasha is just straight up invincible this movie. Really odd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Belov said:

Presales and advance tickets take up a bigger share of opening weekends and grosses every year. So ticket sales for a 2021 movie will almost always outpace sales from a 2016 and 2017 movie. 

If this were a normal year, yes. But this is not at all a normal year.

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Homecoming made 117 m opening weekend.

But it had woeful presales...I remember everyone being shocked at the Friday walk ups...they kept walking in, and walking in...

Spidey skews to a younger, more diverse, and more walk-up-able audience...

I don't think Black Widow will do the same to Spidey's extent.  The Doctor Strange info was probably more on point for who would show up to both and how they'd buy...but it's an old comp...

• Like 1

Ah it was perfect. 

Black Widow is my favourite Marvel character and this is the film she deserves. Florence Pugh as Yelena is a stand out. 

Fabulous fight choreography that is clear and focused. The fights are also a bit nastier and more hard hitting than usual for Marvel. The humour is earned and not forced. It’s literally action packed, so I’m unsure why some are suggesting otherwise. Scarlett was born for this role. 

5/5. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 3

Let me expand. I’m being super careful about spoilers.

The opening sequence of this film is perfection. Acting as the movie’s prologue.  It’s about as “grounded” as you’ll ever get from Marvel. It’s not frightening but it’s scary. It’s shot like an old thriller. It doesn’t feel like it has anything to do with the rest of the film at all. 

The movie’s focus is Nat’s family and I really wish we get more of them in the future. They are gold. They’re a “they put the fun in dysfunctional” kinda deal. The humour and emotion that come from these characters are what make this movie and it works. I love seeing them together (especially Weisz and Harbour). I think a lot of people are gonna come out loving Florence Pugh’s semi-tragic little sister. You just want to give her a hug. They feel like a family (compared to Vin Diesel’s co-workers that bbq together). I’d argue they also overshadow Natasha but I don’t think anybody will mind.

I must say that whilst the action is super clear here I don’t think it’s particularly memorable. I’ve seen better European car chases in Mission Impossible films. There’s one sequence here that feels quite forced - as if it’s only here to solve a potential pacing issue.
Villain also gets a shrug from me but it’s our heroes and their adventure that take precedent here. I think people will appreciate the journey more than uncovering the destination with this one.

Music here is also great. Much better than Henry Jackmans Captain America stuff. I should add they use a “sad movie trailer girl” cover of a 90s pop song somewhere during the film. It is horrific and if there is still time to remove it then it must be removed. It’s a mystery it was allowed to stay in the film.

It’s a FULL PRICE  - A damn shame they’re releasing this on VOD in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1