Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

Just now, SpiderByte said:

People keep saying this but theres no real evidence of it. Otherwise explain John Carter, Lone Ranger, Rise of Skywalker, New Mutants, any number of movies that critically tanked.

God, I am so sick of this "Disney buys the critics" BS. It'spure conspiracy crap.

And Conspiracy Crap is BAD,in case you have not been floowing the news lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People keep saying this but theres no real evidence of it. Otherwise explain John Carter, Lone Ranger, Rise of Skywalker, New Mutants, any number of movies that critically tanked.

There's never gonna be evidence of something like that, at the end of the day it is subjective, but if a movie with Black Widow's plotline, action, and effects was released by Universal I'd be shocked to see it above 60% on RT.

EDIT: I didn't accuse Disney of buying anyone, I said they have massive influence on the press, which is not the same thing at all.

Edited by Last Man Standing
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Her salary was released as $20m+ awhile ago.  Probably by her own agent.

And it would have come out in court if this case reached the trial stage.

But, yeah, the way it was released was a dick move by Disney for PR advantage, which might backfire on them.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Not that I’m defending Disney, but between a hybrid release or delaying this movie again, I prefer that they went with the former. This movie really isn’t worth holding up the rest of the Phase 4 lineup. 

The Moouse might well have a good legal case, but  they are handling this very badly from a PR point of view.

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

The pull Disney has with the press compared to every other studio is insane, from strangely favorable reviews to glowing coverage regardless of the shit they try to pull.

That is total crap. Ihave seen plenty of bad press for Disney.

6 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

There's never gonna be evidence of something like that, at the end of the day it is subjective, but if a movie with Black Widow's plotline, action, and effects was released by Universal I'd be shocked to see it above 60% on RT.

EDIT: I didn't accuse Disney of buying anyone, I said they have massive influence on the press, which is not the same thing at all.

Pure Conspiracy Theory thinking.

And look at the mess this kind of thinking has gotten the US into over the past year.

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:
3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

There's never gonna be evidence of something like that, at the end of the day it is subjective, but if a movie with Black Widow's plotline, action, and effects was released by Universal I'd be shocked to see it above 60% on RT

Do people still not know how RT works? Are you kidding me?

RT score has never, ever, ever, ever been a score of the critics rating of the film. 70% is not a 7/10. Fresh and Rotten is a binary scale, and that's the percentage an RT score is. It means 70% people gave a "fresh" rating, which could be a 9/10 or a 6/10 depending on the reviewer. People still don't know this after the decade plus RT has been around?????

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Pure Conspiracy Theory thinking.

And look at the mess this kind of thinking has gotten the US into over the past year.

It's not a conspiracy to say that the quality of the movies they release seem to be out of whack with the reviews they're getting, it's an opinion. How in the world are you going to get evidence for that? Is there a mathematical formula to calculate how well a movie should do on RT? It's a matter of taste.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Do people still not know how RT works? Are you kidding me?

RT score has never, ever, ever, ever been a score of the critics rating of the film. 70% is not a 7/10. Fresh and Rotten is a binary scale, and that's the percentage an RT score is. It means 70% people gave a "fresh" rating, which could be a 9/10 or a 6/10 depending on the reviewer. People still don't know this after the decade plus RT has been around?????

...I didn't imply it was? I implied that a greater precentage of reviewers seem to give Disney movies a pass compared to movies from other companies. It's fine that you disagree.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

You just liked BW less than most people. It's audience scores relative to other CBMs are consistent with the RT score and average rating relative to other CBMs. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It's not a conspiracy to say that the quality of the movies they release seem to be out of whack with the reviews they're getting, it's an opinion. How in the world are you going to get evidence for that? Is there a mathematical formula to calculate how well a movie should do on RT? It's a matter of taste.

It means the critics have different opinions than you. That does not guarantee theyre somehow on the take. If they're paying critics why didn't they do that for Star Wars?

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

It means the critics have different opinions than you. That does not guarantee theyre somehow on the take. If they're paying critics why didn't they do that for Star Wars?

I didn't say or imply that they're paying critics. I literally said I don't believe that nonsense, I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It's not a conspiracy to say that the quality of the movies they release seem to be out of whack with the reviews they're getting, it's an opinion.

An opinion with a very obvious explanation.  

Spoiler

Hint: probably  more to do with you than the critics 😛 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

An opinion with a very obvious explanation.  

Hide contents

Hint: probably  more to do with you than the critics 😛 

Possibly, but if you check movies with similar IMDB score to Black Widow (6.9) and compare their RT scores:

Jurassic world: 7.0, 71% RT.

The Magnificent Seven (2016): 6.9, 64% RT.

The Hitman's Bodyguard: 6.9, 43% RT.

Captain America: TFA: 6.9, 80% RT. Hmmm.

Does it prove anything conclusively? No, but it sure looks strange.

Honestly I'd be interested to see if there's a non-Disney action movie with similar IMDB score, and better RT performance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

Possibly, but if you check movies with similar IMDB score to Black Widow (6.9) and compare their RT scores:

Honestly I'd be interested to see if there's a non-Disney action movie with similar IMDB score, and better RT performance.

And BW's Imdb score will go down. It always happens a few months after the release

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

You have successfully determined that IMDB and RT use completely different metrics yes. Mainly that one is critics and the other is fans.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

This just shows how pointless IMDB ratings are since TFA is vastly superior to the other movies listed. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Maybe less with the D+, HD torrent being day and date but usually for wide release affair with a fanbase (if not movie in general) score goes down on IMDB, has the hyped fanbase that see and rate first weekend get averaged down by the regular people seeing it on a flight or back in the day Netflix and so on.

Has for what you ask, this tool can help:

https://flickmetrix.com/

What movie with a below 7.0 type or below of IMDB score is above 80% on rt ?

Is green room more horror than action, Logan Lucky more comedy than action ? That 2 that come in mind, with Melissa McCarthy SPY, imdb can be quite certain type of male heavy, Bumblebee is 90% on RT and 6.7/10 on IMDB for maybe a closer example of a franchise blockbuster action movie.

For the subject in general, it is not just studio but a certain produced franchise that can get some benefit of the doubt, that is impossible to prove or disprove in most case, they flight in reviewer on set, give a lot of contain and lot of talent access, the second you do anything else with a movie than reviewing it, you are compromised you just do not know by how much and now a day RT reviewer are in large part content creator of all sort and not just a paid by a big journal movie reviewer that never has to do anything else than that. How much did the Hunger Games giant screening after party and the nice relation talent had with the press did soften the blow on the last 2 entry reception ? Impossible to know.

But Marvel started to get good review when it was still being run by Ike that had quite the terrible reputation with the media, including is premiere and Avant-premiere and reception with cost-cutting small Sandwich type of affair, they for sure build some good will from a lot of the press, but expectation and high bar all the same has well, like a Nolan-Tarantino with the press has.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Maybe less with the D+, HD torrent being day and date but usually for wide release affair with a fanbase (if not movie in general) score goes down on IMDB, has the hyped fanbase that see and rate first weekend get averaged down by the regular people seeing it on a flight or back in the day Netflix and so on.

Has for what you ask, this tool can help:

https://flickmetrix.com/

What movie with a below 7.0 type or below of IMDB score is above 80% on rt ?

Is green room more horror than action, Logan Lucky more comedy than action ? That 2 that come in mind, with Melissa McCarthy, imdb can be quite certain type of male heavy, Bumblebee is 90% on RT and 6.7/10 on IMDB for example.

For the subject in general, it is not just studio but a certain produced franchise that can get some benefit of the doubt, that is impossible to prove or disprove in most case, they flight in reviewer on set, give a lot of contain and lot of talent access, the second you do anything else with a movie than reviewing it, you are compromised you just do not know by how much and now a day RT reviewer are in large part content creator of all sort and not just a paid by a big journal movie reviewer that never has to do anything else than that. How much did the Hunger Games giant screening after party and the nice relation talent had with the press did soften the blow on the last 2 entry reception ? Impossible to know.

But Marvel started to get good review when it was still being run by Ike that had quite the terrible reputation with the media, including is premiere and Avant-premiere and reception with cost-cutting small Sandwich type of affair, they for sure build some good will from a lot of the press, but expectation and high bar all the same has well, like a Nolan-Tarantino with the press has.

Thanks, that's a useful tool! Bumblebee is a really interesting case, since usually the GA likes Transformer movies much more than critics do. I wonder what caused the switch for that entry.