Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

25 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Possibly, but if you check movies with similar IMDB score to Black Widow (6.9) and compare their RT scores:

Jurassic world: 7.0, 71% RT.

The Magnificent Seven (2016): 6.9, 64% RT.

The Hitman's Bodyguard: 6.9, 43% RT.

Captain America: TFA: 6.9, 80% RT. Hmmm.

Does it prove anything conclusively? No, but it sure looks strange.

Honestly I'd be interested to see if there's a non-Disney action movie with similar IMDB score, and better RT performance.

Captain America has practically the same reviews. Was distributed by Paramount.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Thanks, that's a useful tool! Bumblebee is a really interesting case, since usually the GA likes Transformer movies much more than critics do. I wonder what caused the switch for that entry.

GA like Michael Bays movie much more than critics was maybe more the rule happening before Bumblebee and it is the other way around with Travis Knight movies, a critic darling quite appreciated by a certain audience but not has mainstream has what Bay do.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, filmlover said:

The headline got me confused. 

For few minutes I am wondering what is wrong with BW's suit in the movie? Why is its costume design have anything to do with the lawsuit itself? Why disney fire back at a character's cloth?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

There's never gonna be evidence of something like that, at the end of the day it is subjective, but if a movie with Black Widow's plotline, action, and effects was released by Universal I'd be shocked to see it above 60% on RT.

EDIT: I didn't accuse Disney of buying anyone, I said they have massive influence on the press, which is not the same thing at all.

Last I checked, Disney isn’t the only conglomerate which has put out movies with shakey effects

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It means the critics have different opinions than you. That does not guarantee theyre somehow on the take. If they're paying critics why didn't they do that for Star Wars?

Don’t confuse said person with common sense. 

I find it amusing when people try to rationalize to themselves and others “why did other people like something I didn’t?!!” 

The way they want to spin this story about a millionaire claiming they’re owed extra millions on top to the twenty million they already got as a grand tale of American injustice is insane to me.

2 hours ago, AJG said:

The way they want to spin this story about a millionaire claiming they’re owed extra millions on top to the twenty million they already got as a grand tale of American injustice is insane to me.

I get you, but painting such conflicts as millionaires vs billionaires and siding with the latter is bizarre. Such attitudes (among other reasons) is why our capitalist system as it’s structured endures. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Man Disney keeps looking worse in this whole thing.

Disney is evil IMHO. Ton of monopolistic behavior with the movie business over the last 10-20 years. This monopolistic tendency can also be seen with ESPN, which has thrown its weight around too damn much in college football. I would not mind if the Mouse House completely implodes. 

• Like 5

Sort of off topic but since its discussed due to this, so related. In present case, the facts of case i.e. the contract entered should matter but I am gonna say this in general.

Do actors actually deserve this much fees in first place? Scar Jo can do same film removing MCU reference and with name other than Black Widow, it will struggle to do 10-15%.

When the revenue is coming for IP, the studio that own IP should get the revenue. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Sort of off topic but since its discussed due to this, so related. In present case, the facts of case i.e. the contract entered should matter but I am gonna say this in general.

Do actors actually deserve this much fees in first place? Scar Jo can do same film removing MCU reference and with name other than Black Widow, it will struggle to do 10-15%.

When the revenue is coming for IP, the studio that own IP should get the revenue. 

Doesn't that happen in every movie industry though. Bollywood stars charge obscene amounts even if their previous movies weren't big successes, SRK for example.

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Doesn't that happen in every movie industry though. Bollywood stars charge obscene amounts even if their previous movies weren't big successes, SRK for example.

Stars in India actually bring the audience. Cinema in India is still largely star based. The business is alot different as well, there are individual producers, not corporate system.

31 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Stars in India actually bring the audience. Cinema in India is still largely star based. The business is alot different as well, there are individual producers, not corporate system.

Better question: how many of them “individual producers” aren’t connected to organized crime?

1 minute ago, RRA said:

That was in 90s. Wasn't there period in Hollywood something similar in mid 20th century.

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

That was in 90s. Wasn't there period in Hollywood something similar in mid 20th century.

Dude, we’ve all seen The Godfather. 😆  Right now Hollywood it’s the conglomerates  in control who don’t need to put horse’s heads in beds. They have lawyers. 

As for Bollywood, that article (not exactly the only one on the topic)  is from 2016 but it made it clear it didn’t end in the 1990s. I doubt that problem has eased up since then. Regardless that rep/stereotype is out there and even this American here who has explored little of Bollywood filmography is aware of it.