Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

I like the Russos and it’s a miracle they made those Avengers movies work. Probably why Marvel wants them back. Will DC do a Gunn and go after them now? lol

However I would like to see someone else take over and just see what happens. Just makes it a bit less predictable.

12 minutes ago, exomassey said:

I like the Russos and it’s a miracle they made those Avengers movies work. Probably why Marvel wants them back. Will DC do a Gunn and go after them now? lol

However I would like to see someone else take over and just see what happens. Just makes it a bit less predictable.

They'll work it out.  The Russos have no trouble playing the long-game and letting their agents negotiate. 

It's to everyone's benefit, just like the Disney/Sony/Spidey renewed deal...although that may come up for play again soon, too...  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say the more insane bit of news out today regarding the lawsuit was Scarjo starting her negotiation at either 80 or 100 mil (the WSJ article is behind a paywall so i'm not sure if it was 80mil total or 80mil over the 20mil she got), based off an assumption of 1.2 billion revenue for BW.

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

I'd say the more insane bit of news out today regarding the lawsuit was Scarjo starting her negotiation at either 80 or 100 mil (the WSJ article is behind a paywall so i'm not sure if it was 80mil total or 80mil over the 20mil she got), based off an assumption of 1.2 billion revenue for BW.

100m total.

After the simultaneous release was announced, Ms. Johansson’s team made an opening bid: Pay the actress $80 million. The calculation was based on what the star would receive in a hypothetical global box-office take of $1.2 billion, a sum in league with Marvel hits “Captain Marvel” and “Black Panther.” (Hobbled by the pandemic and at-home release, the movie has so far been one of Marvel’s worst performers, with $371 million grossed world-wide.) It was an eye-popping sum, but her team saw it as a starting point.

That give some idea about how off deadline tend to be about this line, if that would have released in 2019 and did those a bit above captain marvel numbers, they would have put for everyone bonus compensation in the 40-60m type of range I imagine, went it would have been over 100m after Feige and everyone else get paid has well.

If it would be an first windows gross point only deal that would have been getting around 15% without anything off the top.

80m / (430m * 0.6 + 590m*.43 + 180m*.25)   = .144

That could explain why it took time to greenlight has well

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

We don't have to worry about the Russos.  Secret Wars is AT LEAST 4 or 5 years away, and can be pushed back. 😘

I read the whole article.  The big take aways:

• Bob C is REALLY bad at the interpersonal communication part of this job.  I would be shocked if he'd not future endeavored sooner rather than later.  He might've been fine at theme parks and Wall Street, but this job takes way more finesse than I think he possesses.
  • ScarJo is REALLY is crazy greedy.  She already got 20M for the role.  She wants another 80M.  TBH Disney, give her 40M and move on.  
  • Alan Horn, Iger, and Kevin are not involved.
  • Fun Kevin Tidbit: "Putting "Black Widow" on Disney+ conflicted with Mr. Feige's tiered approach—creating TV shows that complement movies on the big screen. He resisted plans for the movie's simultaneous release, in part because he didn't like the idea of having one of Marvel's few female-driven movies demoted to the at-home streaming service, said people familiar with his thinking."  He's so good and thoughtful and I *heart eyes* him.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

We don't have to worry about the Russos.  Secret Wars is AT LEAST 4 or 5 years away, and can be pushed back. 😘

Keep in mind: they were picked for Infinity War and Endgame in 2014, per the Sony emails.

There was also rumors a while back that wh ok ever landed Captain Marvel 2 would be up for Avengers 5. Maybe DaCostas getting a promotion...

Edited by SpiderByte

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

• Bob C is REALLY bad at the interpersonal communication part of this job.  I would be shocked if he'd not future endeavored sooner rather than later.  He might've been fine at theme parks and Wall Street, but this job takes way more finesse than I think he possesses.
  • ScarJo is REALLY is crazy greedy.  She already got 20M for the role.  She wants another 80M.  TBH Disney, give her 40M and move on.  
  • Alan Horn, Iger, and Kevin are not involved.
  • Fun Kevin Tidbit: "Putting "Black Widow" on Disney+ conflicted with Mr. Feige's tiered approach—creating TV shows that complement movies on the big screen. He resisted plans for the movie's simultaneous release, in part because he didn't like the idea of having one of Marvel's few female-driven movies demoted to the at-home streaming service, said people familiar with his thinking."  He's so good and thoughtful and I *heart eyes* him.

I think this could be a spin as well(he is a numbers guy). Sometimes CEO will not get involved in every matter. He will let individual leader handle the situation(delegation is good). Chapek's stay in Disney is not going to be driven by whether he panders to ScarJo or anyone else. Its going to be driven by metrics of whether Disney has become more successful. That is way more than just box office which is not he biggest driver of Disney revenue. Iger is anyway out end of the year(probably up for another CEO role elsewhere) and so it has to be something crazy for board to remove Chapek at this point. Scarjo or Russo's are not suffice for that.  Stock has done ok so far under him. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Keep in mind: they were picked for Infinity War and Endgame in 2014, per the Sony emails.

There was also rumors a while back that wh ok ever landed Captain Marvel 2 would be up for Avengers 5. Maybe DaCostas getting a promotion...

Yes.

Also kissy face meant I was joking! 

55 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Based on the timing there's a chance they could have been Cap 4. Aside from Deadpool it's the only announced movie with no director.

Possible. I think we’re assuming SW because Russos had said the one project that would get them back into the MCU would be SW.

as for ScarJo:

(1) she’s doing the ole Union strike trick of demanding the whole bakery to get that one load of bread.

(2) pre-plague, many BOT folks had pegged BW as a billion dollar film. So I can see how she guesstimated that plausible estimate.

• Like 1

I’m uncomfortable with Scar Jo being called greedy, when she’s asking for the type of deal that has been readily handed out to her male co-stars.  

Shang-Chi doing similar numbers to Black Widow as a theatrical only release only further helps Scarlett’s case btw. She can use that as an example. “I was available at home and still opened at the same level as the theatrical only film two months later.” Etc.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Cap said:

That's exactly what I said but somebody said I was displaying "anti-capitalist" values.

It's a nonsense case between rich people that will ultimately only benefit rich people. Trying to frame it as a battle against misogyny, or a war between good and evil is disingenuous and silly.

It reminds me of when Epic Games were trying to sell their Apple lawsuit as some kind of crusade for justice. They put out animated shorts and partnered with Samsung to produce merchandise in order to manipulate the children into supporting them. 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

Scarlett wants her contract to be honored. It's no greed. Disney didn't renegotiate the contract with specified "no hybrid/streaming" clause and they took the advantage of the loophole that specified widest theatrical release (they honored it) but no restriction on simultaneous streaming because that wasn't a concern at the time of contract signage. Even though Scarlett's legal team was concerned about the possibility as far as 2019. If I'm not mistaken, Disney gave them verbal assurance but didn't want to put anything on paper, sign, etc. So yes, she has the right to sue them as would any other actor or actress in the same situation. 

@AJG Yes I agree that framing it as a battle against misogyny is ridiculous. They have a case, no need to turn it into something that it isn't. If RDJ or Evans had a movie out at that time in the pandemic, and contract that didn't bar a simultaneous release because it wasn't a practice at the time of signage, the movie would be sent to PA as well. It just happened that it was BW rather than IM4 or Cap 4.  People forget how panicked studio were back then. 

Edited by Valonqar

13 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Shang-Chi doing similar numbers to Black Widow as a theatrical only release only further helps Scarlett’s case btw. She can use that as an example. “I was available at home and still opened at the same level as the theatrical only film two months later.” Etc.

For the court case the more Shang-Chi do theatrically the better, similar second weekend drop (adjusted for holidays weekend) would be bad for example.

10 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Will SC victory make SCarjo's suit even more convincing?  

The better it does and the better it does in high piracy market the better for the suit.

Edited by Barnack

On 9/4/2021 at 7:29 AM, Krissykins said:

I’m uncomfortable with Scar Jo being called greedy, when she’s asking for the type of deal that has been readily handed out to her male co-stars.  

The only male co-star who received anywhere near what she's asking was RDJ and that's with his films actually making $1-3B dollars and him being infinitely more valuable to his films than she was.     Evans and Hemsworth didn't get that kind of deal even on their 3rd solo film and they all got paid around the same for the last 3 Avengers (she reportedly got paid more for the first) .

During COVID her movie was never making near $1.2B (doubtful even sans Covid) or even half that and they delayed it for over a year to give it it's best shot.  She reportedly chose the release date - a date that had most of OS shut down due to Delta and China pissed because the date was moved.   Even if there was no PPV the O/S wasn't going to be much better.  

I'm all for actors getting paid what they're worth and contracts being fulfilled.  But it looks like the contract was fulfilled.  It got a theatrical release and she was getting a % off the PPV.  But asking for a % off a B.O. that didn't happen and wasn't going to happen even if it didn't release PPV?   Chapek should have dealt with it earlier but her lawyers pretending a COVID B.O. world doesn't exist and Disney put it on PPV just to screw her out of $80m while screwing themselves out of $800m more in B.O receipts is bonkers.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4