Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney pretty much moved everything right now except Soul. Has to be confirmation that it's skipping theaters at this point, right?

Not necessarily.

I don't see why it can't get a simultaneous theatrical + streaming release... ? 

(Which I wish they had done for Mulan)

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 3:04 PM, WandaLegion said:

However, I think most of these dates will change. If I had to bet:

May 2021 BW

July 2021 Eternals

Nov 2021 DS2

Feb 2022 Shang-Chi

May 2022 Thor

July 2022 Spider3

BP and CM to 2023

More optimistic maybe BW Feb 2021 and Eternals May 2021

Looks like I got none of the next 5 right, but I’ll take it in spirit.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, WandaLegion said:

I would also like to see Xmas for MCU someday. I’d be pushing for BW Dec 18 except that I think Xmas 2020 will be a dead zone 😕

Should have been thinking about Xmas 2021 instead apparently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Not again. :whosad:.   

Every movie going full Avatar 2. 

When you say sadface - are you actually surprised?

I think literally everyone knew this was going to happen ever since Tenet launched.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Not necessarily.

I don't see why it can't get a simultaneous theatrical + streaming release... ? 

(Which I wish they had done for Mulan)

Because the major theater chains are stuck in the past and won’t play movies that are streaming simultaneously.

• Haha 1

Just now, WandaLegion said:

Because the major theater chains are stuck in the past and won’t play movies that are streaming simultaneously.

Were - not are.

Have any of the theater chains spoken about this since theaters started reopening?

I am skeptical that they would maintain the normal attitude of the theatrical window, in the current times. They should be begging Disney. BEGGING! Disney to release their DisneyPlus movies in the theater simultaneously.

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Were - not are.

Have any of the theater chains spoken about this since theaters started reopening?

I am skeptical that they would maintain the normal attitude of the theatrical window, in the current times. They should be begging Disney. BEGGING! Disney to release their DisneyPlus movies in the theater simultaneously.

We already had a simultaneous release with bill and Ted, they refused to play it.

2 hours ago, Claudio said:

Never ever in a million years, an MCU movie would be deserve to debut at streaming service site. What a downgrade it would be  from Cinema to puny screen.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."  -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven. 

4 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

We already had a simultaneous release with bill and Ted, they refused to play it.

Oh. Yes I've just looked at the Bill & Ted gross. Yikes. Only 1,000 theaters.

That's stupid as fuck, WTF goes through these companies heads? /facepalm

Just now, Avatree said:

Oh. Yes I've just looked at the Bill & Ted gross. Yikes. Only 1,000 theaters.

That's stupid as fuck, WTF goes through these companies heads? /facepalm

It wouldn't have made more money theatrically (with the pandemic and the simeltaneous PVOD release) even if it released in 10,000 theaters lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

It wouldn't have made more money theatrically (with the pandemic and the simeltaneous PVOD release) even if it released in 10,000 theaters lol.

I'm not speculating on how much money it would make with a higher theater count. I'm commenting on the fact that it seems that, as stated above by Legion, the exhibition companies refused to play the movie due to the "theatrical window" requirement.

I had simply not realised that - as we've had a wide release of Bill & Ted this past week in the UK. I had assumed it also got a similar wide release in the US.

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I'm not speculating on how much money it would make with a higher theater count. I'm commenting on the fact that it seems that, as stated above by Legion, the exhibition companies refused to play the movie due to the "theatrical window" requirement.

Because its going to make no money in cinemas with a simeltaneous release regardless of the showcount and its only going to set a bad precedent.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Were - not are.

A simultaneous release helps no one. Maybe Mulan is not an outright disaster, but it's proven that for a huge movie, unless you can reach 200 million subscribers with a $5 cost instead of 4 million subscribers with a $30 cost, streaming is not profitable. They DO need the huge global release for big tentpole blockbusters, both for the theatrical revenue and the buzz that then builds for digital (people purchasing digital most likely watched it in cinemas int he first place - you skip cinemas or give the streaming alternative, then you're literally cutting your potential earnings by half or more). And for cinemas, it's a losing proposition anyway, since people just aren't going to the movies and it would set a bad precedent for when things do eventually get back to a semblance of normality.

I can't see Bond sticking around either. I expect chains will start shutting down locations indefinitely (can't see the December releases actually opening either) and come spring, should there be a vaccine, there will be restructurings, mergers, purchases, etc. 

Edited by reddevil19

Thank god they moved it and are committed to theatrical, the thought of watching this for the first time on Disney+ was too depressing to me for words. I'm also glad they didn't bother fucking around with February because odds are low that that's going to be decent, might as well be realistic about this shit.

• Like 3