Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

25 minutes ago, Maggie said:

No way will Disney "force" people to go to theaters. Disney will give people the opportunity to chose, so hybrid it will be

Feiges opposed to a hybrid release, and overriding the biggest producer in the company is not a decision that'd be made that simply.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Feiges opposed to a hybrid release, and overriding the biggest producer in the company is not a decision that'd be made that simply.

Kevin Feige is a smart man who can adapt and change his mind, maybe he's ok with hybrid now.

The fact BW gets a China release 1 week before US seems to point towards a hybrid release

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

The fact BW gets a China release 1 week before US seems to point towards a hybrid release

How so? Endgame was release in China before the US as well. This doesn’t indicate anything from what I can tell.

23 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I think the fact that it releases in China just 1 week before US release points towards NOT being a hybrid release. They would give it more time to make some money OS before it leaks online from the US release

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think the fact that it releases in China just 1 week before US release points towards NOT being a hybrid release. They would give it more time to make some money OS before it leaks online from the US release

17 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

How so? Endgame was release in China before the US as well. This doesn’t indicate anything from what I can tell.

13 minutes ago, jatvision said:

LOL.

Disney hasn't even released internationally films a week earlier for D+ release for some stupid reason.

Why will they do for a Hybrid one.

Hybrid release makes piracy more likely, releasing before the US means they want it to do as well as possible in China before a D+ release :shades:

40 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

No it doesn't. The movie was always gonna release a week earlier overseas iirc and tons of MCU films have release OS a week earlier. This would've happened even if there was no covid.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Hybrid release makes piracy more likely, releasing before the US means they want it to do as well as possible in China before a D+ release :shades:

Pretty much every Marvel movie aside from Infinity War and Endgame has come out a week earlier internationally. The only big exception to that recently was the UK with Ant Man & The Wasp which released over a month after the US because Disney think everyone in this country is obsessed with football and can’t find the headspace or time in their busy World Cup football watching schedule to find time for a 2 hour film.

So yeah, I wouldn’t read too much into the international release being a week earlier than domestic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No it doesn't. The movie was always gonna release a week earlier overseas iirc and tons of MCU films have release OS a week earlier. This would've happened even if there was no covid.

Actually Marvel should consider permanently moving US to day and date with Os in April last weekend. Gives one open week before Memorial Day weekend release, though in last 2 years there was one big film a week before Memorial day weekend too.

Day and Date worldwide gives a big worldwide weekend for better press.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jatvision said:

LOL.

Disney hasn't even released internationally films a week earlier for D+ release for some stupid reason.

Why will they do for a Hybrid one.

Well if they've decided on Hybrid, it wouldn't be impossible for them to move the US date up a week.

• Like 1

The signs are all there.  If FAST is moving (which seems 95% likely), than if Widow is staying on its date in the US...it will be a hybrid release.  Godzilla/Kong also tells the tale.  Early releases abroad from the US have happened for a while, sure, but Hollywood is also paying attention to what China's grossing in terms of numbers...and they are huge.  I'm betting there is even more attention/emphasis from studio executives on releasing product in China first, not only to curb piracy a bit, but also to "grab as much as they can" while they can, in case things belly-flop stateside/in the U.K....especially for titles like this that have a looong journey to screen with a lot of anticipation. 

I'm betting that internally SOUL and RAYA were simply not as important to Disney as priority Marvel titles are right now.  MULAN was also an experiment...that failed.  

And this past year teaches us that firming up dates is still no "safe bet" that any dates will stand...we just don't know.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The signs are all there.  If FAST is moving (which seems 95% likely), than if Widow is staying on its date in the US...it will be a hybrid release.  Godzilla/Kong also tells the tale.  Early releases abroad from the US have happened for a while, sure, but Hollywood is also paying attention to what China's grossing in terms of numbers...and they are huge.  I'm betting there is even more attention/emphasis from studio executives on releasing product in China first, not only to curb piracy a bit, but also to "grab as much as they can" while they can, in case things belly-flop stateside/in the U.K....especially for titles like this that have a looong journey to screen with a lot of anticipation. 

I'm betting that internally SOUL and RAYA were simply not as important to Disney as priority Marvel titles are right now.  MULAN was also an experiment...that failed.  

And this past year teaches us that firming up dates is still no "safe bet" that any dates will stand...we just don't know.  

And if your movie is a success in China then you get some free advertising from the press for the release in the rest of the world, which leads to increased buzz/hype on social networks.

I do hope BW gets the April 30 release date in China. Labor Day Holiday this year is gonna be a 5-day holiday (correct me if I am wrong). BW can easily hit 200m USD in China with that release date.

PS: BW is currently tending on Weibo after the news that it MIGHT be released on April. Marvel fans have been waiting long for an MCU movie.

Edited by LeoC
Typo

1 hour ago, jatvision said:

Actually Marvel should consider permanently moving US to day and date with Os in April last weekend. Gives one open week before Memorial Day weekend release, though in last 2 years there was one big film a week before Memorial day weekend too.

Day and Date worldwide gives a big worldwide weekend for better press.

Yeah, Thor4, gotg3, etc should really move up a week DOM. Make end of April the new default.   

For this movie though April probably not so good 😆

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Well know by the 11th. That's when the next shareholder meeting is, and it will definitely come up.

Isn’t the shareholders meeting on the 9th?   

I wouldn’t expect anything firm by then. Just some “it’s still scheduled for theatrical, we’re heartened by vaccine news, but keeping our options open waiting to see more blah blah blah.”

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Isn’t the shareholders meeting on the 9th?   

I wouldn’t expect anything firm by then. Just some “it’s still scheduled for theatrical, we’re heartened by vaccine news, but keeping our options open waiting to see more blah blah blah.”

You are correct yes, my mistake. But we had heard a while back they'd be making a decision about Widow around now, and if this China release is real then theyve decided on what to do. Now we just wait till they announce the details.

Edited by SpiderByte