Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

16 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

It's just formatted for IMAX. Which just means they just un-crop the image for select scenes (for Digital IMAX theatre ratio majority of the time, which is just shorter than 16:9 but above 2.39 : 1, very rarely has a film been formatted for the full IMAX ratio). Technically they could do it for the whole film. The whole of Blade Runner 2049 was formatted late into the post-production process for Digital IMAX ratio. Deakins talked about how they had to go back and erase boom mics and other things popping into shot because it wasn't intended. 

Hide contents

IMAX as a brand is a bit diluted at this point.

It started with the original 70MM IMAX with the tall aspect ratio, incredible picture quality etc. Innovative use for feature filmmaking and spectacle on The Dark Knight and so on from then. I think less than 20 feature films have shot on real 70MM IMAX. You're guaranteed to get it with every Nolan feature from here on out. 

Then the Digital IMAX theatres which are the majority now don't go nearly as tall, though most Laser IMAX's will offer the full ratio.

So the formatting for IMAX films will usually go for the Digital IMAX ratio. Off the top of my head I think Lion King and Tron Legacy are the only formatted for IMAX films to use the full IMAX ratio. 

Then Digital IMAX cameras which are things like the Alexa 65 or Sony Venice with and an IMAX logo smacked on them, so they can sell the thing as being shot on IMAX. 

I think even then whatever IMAX version of a film we're getting wether it's real, formatted, completely arbitrary cameras at least you know you're probably getting the best version of that film when seeing it. 

Hell I know I'm seeing this in IMAX.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for explaining! 

Emargo lifts eh? Who wants to bet reactions will be glowing. I've no doubt that the movie will be good but embargo reactions are always glowing. I expect "best since TWS" or even "better than TWS", lots of mega praise for Pugh/Yelena, etc.

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Honest question: what percentage of sales does 3D still make? I haven't seen a major release in 3D in years now. I'm pretty sure anticipation for Avatar sequels is the only reason it's still around

Endgame weekend had 13% from 3D and other PLF, that too because there were no other seats to buy so 3D started selling well as well. 

IMAX was 7.4% at $26M.

The Lion King did better in 3D at 18% during weekend.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

YAWN.

Share the bad reactions if any. Otherwise all of them are basically same reaction for all films. They are all good. All exceed expectations. All of them have great performances. All of them are "One of the Best" or "the best".

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Action non stop bodes really well for overseas markets. 

@charlie Jatinder ha ha true. I'm waiting for inevitable ">>>TWS" and "Yelena is not just the best female MCU character but one of the best MCU characters period." And the ones that are afraid to admit they didn't like it which means phrases "I'm still processing it" and "the movie is ambitious". :lol: Yes twitter reactions are that predictable. ;)

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

YAWN.

Share the bad reactions if any. Otherwise all of them are basically same reaction for all films. They are all good. All exceed expectations. All of them have great performances. All of them are "One of the Best" or "the best".

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

YAWN.

I’m only sharing cause you asked. He has another few tweets below. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Reactions aren't really that universally praise bullshit anymore. Remember how everyone freakout when EG reactions aren't a bunch of "greatest movie ever?".

Unless you're Warner which choose selected people to talk about the movie until today, reactions are useful.

Said that, reception seems pretty good, i found like 3 people tending to more negative so it's probably getting around 85% on RT and +7.0 average, which kinda the expected for MCU.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

IMO, 75-85% RT is realsitic. The 90%+ ones and 10%+ ones are on extreme side and likely to generate "not that good" and "not that bad" feedback once seen by wider audience. ITH has 96%RT but I see a lot of It was OK but nothing special, too long, etc. 

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Reactions aren't really that universally praise bullshit anymore. Remember how everyone freakout when EG reactions aren't a bunch of "greatest movie ever?".

Unless you're Warner which choose selected people to talk about the movie until today, reactions are useful.

Said that, reception seems pretty good, i found like 3 people tending to more negative so it's probably getting around 85% on RT and +7.0 average, which kinda the expected for MCU.

The EG reactions were literally "one of the best films in the genre" lol. And all these studios select the people to talk about the movie early, espescially skewing towards influencers rather than critics (in fact, Disney is the one who started this).

• Thanks 2