Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

My goodness, this is a very dull flick. Putting the plot aside, the action here is truly bottom of the barrel Marvel garbage. Horrifically edited and completely disconnected to any other scene involving actual actors. And why is Black Widow completely impervious to pain and injury? She could survive a nuke blast with nothing but a tiny scratch above her eye. 

But sure, Pugh and Harbour are fine.

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 5
  • Disbelief 2

Looking at all the MCU products post-Infinity War ( save for Endgame ) ,   

I gotta ask if Feige and Co. are even trying anymore.    

They don't even make an effort to imitate the satisfying greasiness of a good ol' blockbuster  

It's just all sanitized and debilitating serials      

Every installment is more hamfisted and the dialogue more cringe than what came before.    

Even weighted against regular MCU standards, Black Widow was an absolutely dreadful and tedious. 

All these Marvel Disney+ shows make Umbrella Academy look like Citizen Kane.  

Idk, maybe they have to drag the Russo Brothers out of MCU retirement or something. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 7/17/2021 at 4:49 PM, SpiderByte said:

That was a good reading. I agree with Disney Media’s chairman Kareem Daniel here and while I’m happy it ends with a @Shawn quote, I don’t think he is asking the right question, despite having movie theaters best interests at heart when he says it. COVID hasn’t magically disappeared, it’s still undergoing and I think the more Disney releases new info on their Disney Plus numbers, more it will make sense to have Shang-Chi and other releases while globally COVID is still very much a huge threat and it’s their best interest that Disney Plus keeps growing worldwide. Movie theaters will survive, but what they are doing is good to their brand because it’s consumer friendly and it makes them look like not a bunch of COVID deniers completely oblivious about the severity of the current situation worldwide.

• Founder / Operator
On 7/19/2021 at 2:19 AM, Alligator Zatt said:

That was a good reading. I agree with Disney Media’s chairman Kareem Daniel here and while I’m happy it ends with a @Shawn quote, I don’t think he is asking the right question, despite having movie theaters best interests at heart when he says it. COVID hasn’t magically disappeared, it’s still undergoing and I think the more Disney releases new info on their Disney Plus numbers, more it will make sense to have Shang-Chi and other releases while globally COVID is still very much a huge threat and it’s their best interest that Disney Plus keeps growing worldwide. Movie theaters will survive, but what they are doing is good to their brand because it’s consumer friendly and it makes them look like not a bunch of COVID deniers completely oblivious about the severity of the current situation worldwide.

I generally agree about contextualizing the current situation in addition to the financial concerns (I actually did express several things you mention here in my full response to the initial story inquiry), but my comments aren't strictly about the best interest of movie theaters -- they're also about studios themselves and their partners in making these films.

Keep in mind, that quote was pulled from a much longer response to a series of different questions, too. Whatever is picked out sometimes depends on the outlet and/or editor's choice of direction for the story. In this case, they seemed to want to focus on the financial aspect. Regardless of COVID right now, I still stand by the point about money being left on the table for all parties. These windowless releases will be dangerous to the future health of the industry if they remain in place post-COVID, so it's something that has to be addressed in the here and now.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/07/20/disney-marvel-black-widow/

Good article, and great comment section. Seems that people who commented are just not too happy with the film's quality, story about a character with no superpower, and who is already dead..not many people actually blame PA

The problem with that is most people seem to have loved the movie despite a vocal minority complaining.

• Like 4

The movie is labeled a disappointment so it doesn't matter whether it's "Movie sucks don't see it/Thanks you saved me some money" scenario or "Movie's great see it/Nah I'll pass don't care about this character" scenario. Stigma is there because all media is now buzzing about that it disappointed. That won't have a long range impact on MCU, though. It might be seen as Hulk 2.0 which didn't derail the train and move on. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

The problem with that is most people seem to have loved the movie despite a vocal minority complaining.

Always the way, unfortunately. 

Anyway, 81% on RT with 380 reviews. 
92% verified RT score. A- Cinemascore. Biggest pandemic opening weekend. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

RT Audience score didn't move for 2  weeks which is very odd. Not a single oscillation up or down. Meanwhile, Meta audience dropped to 6.4 the more fan reviews it received and IMDB one to 6.9 with the number of people who saw it rising. So I wouldn't put much stock in RT. I remember that TROS audience score was also perma stuck while every other kept dropping. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

RT Audience score didn't move for 2  weeks which is very odd. Not a single oscillation up or down. Meanwhile, Meta audience dropped to 6.4 the more fan reviews it received and IMDB one to 6.9 with the number of people who saw it rising. So I wouldn't put much stock in RT. I remember that TROS audience score was also perma stuck while every other kept dropping. 

Not putting much stock in it, but definitely a hell of a lot more than IMDB and Meta lol.

Cinemascore and RT are verified. Cuts out the trolls. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not putting much stock in it, but definitely a hell of a lot more than IMDB and Meta lol.

Cinemascore and RT are verified. Cuts out the trolls. 

Considering the drop, middling ratings from Meta and IMDB are closer to WOM than RT's overinflated 92%. So it isn't the trolls but not-an-event not-a-must-see that hurts it. 

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Considering the drop, middling ratings from Meta and IMDB are closer to WOM than RT's overinflated 92%. So it isn't the trolls but not-an-event not-a-must-see that hurts it. 

This doesn’t really make sense, the drop is from PA.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Imdb...... :lol:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not true, FFH was stable at 95% the whole time. Very common for blockbusters to have stable verified audience scores. 

• Like 1