Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

On 8/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, Macleod said:

(1.)No one was really asking for this movie other than hard-core Black Widow/Scarlett fans.  Unless this movie turns out to be a critical/audience phenomenon (highly doubtful), then it will underperform.  Agreed with many above, the Marvel brand is powerful, and it has a great cast, but this movie feels like an afterthought, a little too little, too late in the general timeline of things.  I doubt it will flop, but my bet is that (2.) it will be one of Marvel's most significant underperformers.  Yes, Ant-Man level. 

1. Haha, not true. A BW film has been asked about by some time and by many, not just BW fans.

2. No one legitimally calls Ant-Man films underperformers, they performed as expected and were profitable. 

Hulk underperformed due to the unexpected massive Iron Man movie released 6 weeks earlier steamrolling it. That's really the only "blemish" on the MCU box office wise. 

18 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Hulk underperformed due to the unexpected massive Iron Man movie released 6 weeks earlier steamrolling it. That's really the only "blemish" on the MCU box office wise. 

And in parts of the world bad advertising.

Like here: I didn't even knew then its in release since a week or so already.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

1. Haha, not true. A BW film has been asked about by some time and by many, not just BW fans.

2. No one legitimally calls Ant-Man films underperformers, they performed as expected and were profitable. 

I was craving for a BW movie for years, but now that she's dead, I don't care for it. I don't think a prequel can show significant character growth for her, she had a decent arc in previous movies, especially in CA:TWS, and I don't think there's much to say about her training. And the whole Budapest thing? Yeah, some stuff works better if they're not shown or explained in detail, but I guess modern franchise-making is not familiar with that...

On 8/7/2019 at 5:26 PM, Macleod said:

No one was really asking for this movie other than hard-core Black Widow/Scarlett fans.

That can become trivial if one define a BW hard-core fans as someone asking for this movie, but I would venture that very middle of the road fan did ask for it.

And how much is it relevant, was a movie less asked for than Toy Story 4 or a Lion King remake (and obviously all the non popular property based one), they are doing bunker business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

I wasn't implying Ant-Man was an "underperformer," rather that I see Widow grossing around Ant-Man levels worldwide. 

I think if the Ant-Man films were as smash of a success as Marvel/Disney wanted them to be, however...we'd be hearing about a third already, by now...

But too many Billion-dollar grossers simply creates too many expectations.  I'm betting that at least one of the upcoming Marvel slate films will be a significant underperformer relative to expectations.  It could be this...it could be Shang-Chi...it could be The Eternals...or Dr. Strange (if it gets made). 😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Ant-Man films were as smash of a success

I am actually very glad the weren't making similar amounts of money, it helps to get the expectations of the most in check to a degree. Like the acceptance for differences in BO, & for different reactions to whichever of those movies too.

It allows the use of smaller stories in the meaning of scale of the danger for how many people (not meant bcs it's ants) are in danger, not all to be about to save the world.

I think that in the future GA wont react so hysterical, if a movie is smaller or does less based on them earl-ish there. (meaning before Avengers 3 & 4).

Quite the opposite to e.g. SW Solo, where the audience was not used to small scale, a side-story = I truly think that was part of the reasons for that's result too (plus the bigger, other reasons often named reasons here at BOT obviously)

MCUs vary in a lot of details, to me that's a plus for future releases start ~ conditions

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

I wasn't implying Ant-Man was an "underperformer," rather that I see Widow grossing around Ant-Man levels worldwide. 

I think if the Ant-Man films were as smash of a success as Marvel/Disney wanted them to be, however...we'd be hearing about a third already, by now...

But too many Billion-dollar grossers simply creates too many expectations.  I'm betting that at least one of the upcoming Marvel slate films will be a significant underperformer relative to expectations.  It could be this...it could be Shang-Chi...it could be The Eternals...or Dr. Strange (if it gets made). 😉

I still think an Ant-Man 3 will happen. There is just a lot on their plate now that X-Men/FF are back. Nothing wrong if AM sits out a Phase.

Frankly with Tony dead that leaves Hank Pym as the tech "super guy" and a great place to meet Reed Richards.