Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

On 12/20/2020 at 2:21 PM, Claudio said:

It's fitting for the biggest box office franchise ever exist to save cinema from the greatest box office challenge ever exist.

This is the way

I'll admit my inner crap-posting self relishes the idea of hyping up Marvel on boards as doing more to save theaters than the movie buffs and their vanguard creatives like Scorsese embracing the streamers. 😁

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I could see them next going for 4th of July weekend and easily scaring Top Gun 2 away if it comes to the point where this will need to be delayed again.

However, in case it's gonna release in theaters....   moving it to 4th of July weekend would be a massive shit move from Disney. However, i don't think TG 2 would move.

Edited by Maggie

I'm pretty much treating all release dates as maybes at the moment, except perhaps Eternals since they clearly want it in November and that seems like a kinda safe-ish bet at this point? (Famous last words.)

I could see them pushing Shang-Chi to Feb next year since that spot was its original one and maybe BW has to be pushed again. Particularly with DS having to halt filming, there's a serious lack of certainty going around so more shifts aren't out of the question imo. Vaccines being available now is obviously amazing, but people have to actually get them and that doesn't seem to be going great in the US currently, not to mention the new highly contagious strains complicating things even more.

Bet they're insanely happy they have the TV shows to pick up MCU slack and getting something new out there, if they didn't have anything on that front maybe they'd be more willing to push it to streaming. I am heartened by the commitment at this point for it to be theatrical though - since BW seems to be a one and done, and not part of an ongoing franchise I figured they'd be more willing to take a loss on it than keep holding back. That could change depending on what happens, but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

There’s also been chatter that another Disney tentpole, the Scarlet Johansson-led Marvel adventure “Black Widow,” may follow in the steps of fellow studio release “Raya and the Last Dragon,” which is premiering concurrently in theaters and on Disney Plus for a premium price. Disney insiders continue to deny those whispers. Yet in the age of coronavirus, nothing is being considered — until it is. Sources at Disney disputed reports that Pixar’s “Soul” would premiere on Disney Plus, only to announce a month later that “Soul” would open on Disney Plus.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Article doesn’t say much really. What studios do is basically up to how the virus goes.    

I wouldn’t expect to hear anything official about this moving or having hybrid PA until after Raya debuts, but the course of the virus might make things pretty clear before then.

• Like 1

The Trump admin straight up fucking lied about vaccines being available to states. So don't expect theaters to be fully open any time before July. So yeah, Premiere Acess is all but inevitable unless they want yet another slate ofnl delays.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

Yeah, like I've said... it will be released this year...one way or another.  The Bond people, for instance, can hold that thing as long as they like -- they don't have a pipeline of releases that they're attempting to get rolling again, like Papa Feige is.

21 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont think they will move beyond this summer. Its already an year late and it costs money to hold. Let us see if there is any SB ad next month. That will show studio's confidence about the release date. 

There likely won't be any movie ads, at least for theatrical releases, during the SB this year due to the uncertainty of everything. Streamers will use the space to promote their projects that are premiering soon.

• Like 2

There’s some room to, for instance, put this in July and Shang-Chi in September, keeping everything else the same. But I would be quite surprised to see this move from May 7 — if the virus is still a huge deal then theatrical/PA would probably work okay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Macleod said:

Yeah, like I've said... it will be released this year...one way or another.  The Bond people, for instance, can hold that thing as long as they like -- they don't have a pipeline of releases that they're attempting to get rolling again, like Papa Feige is.

Even Bond will release. Either in theaters or sold to Netflix/Apple/Amazon. Its too expensive to keep them in cans. 

• Like 2