Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

There’s no reason to announce anything now about delays/release strategy. It’s not like getting people to see an mcu movie is hard at this point.

Seems like the States will be able to vaccinate a lot of people over the next few months so technically this should be able to open in a pretty decent sized market. And if the larger markets don’t open they can just do a hybrid release. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

The situation is nothing like Tenet though. Numbers will likely be much better than August, and more importantly with a very different mood given levels of vaccines and deaths. BW can go pure theatrical on May 7 and earn 250+ DOM/750+ WW

I feel that’s still too optimistic, WW sure but I think DOM has a good chance to go under 250M, maybe around 150m-200m as I don’t suspect California or NY to be open, yet alone over 50% capacity.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

as I don’t suspect California or NY to be open, yet alone over 50% capacity.

They should be open with where local case and death curve are headed by then. 50% capacity basically doesn’t matter at all.

Studios Hold Out Hope for Theaters’ Return to Normalcy

“The studios have delayed the vast majority of their major releases until movie theaters are back in business for a very simple reason. A theatrical release is their biggest source of revenue on these titles, and they cannot be profitable without such a release,” says John Fithian, president-CEO of the National Association of Theatre Owners. “The tunnel of this pandemic for exhibitors has been long, but the light at the end of that tunnel looks very bright indeed.”

Wold says that opening movies while so many cinemas are still shut is “great for headlines, but not for the bottom line,” noting how poorly Wonder Woman 1984 did. Adds one financier, “The major studios have realized there is no point in trying to release their product right now.”

The major exception is Warner Bros., which debuted Christopher Nolan’s Tenet in late summer and, on Dec. 25, Wonder Woman 1984. The former earned $363.1 million globally, including $57.9 million domestically. The DC superhero sequel, which is now winding down its run, has earned $37.7 million domestically and $110.7 million overseas for a total of $148 million. Sources say WW84 is likely to lose north of $100 million at the box office. It’s unclear how that loss will be mitigated by the movie’s day-and-date launch on HBO Max in a bid for new subscribers.

Throughout the pandemic, many of the major studios have sold off smaller and mid-range titles to streamers hungry for content and happy to pay top dollar. At one point, there was chatter that a streamer might buy No Time to Die for as much as $800 million, but the talks never got far. “The unspoken rule? You are not going to sell a movie that has a huge upside in theaters,” says a veteran executive.

Other big summer movies still on the calendar include Black Widow (May 7), F9 (May 28), Venom: Let There Be Carnage (June 25) and Top Gun: Maverick (July 2). Paramount refutes rumors that Top Gun 2 will open on Paramount+, just as insiders elsewhere say there are no plans to send Marvel’s Black Widow to Disney+.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studios-hold-out-hope-for-theaters-return-to-normalcy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Studios Hold Out Hope for Theaters’ Return to Normalcy

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studios-hold-out-hope-for-theaters-return-to-normalcy

Other big summer movies still on the calendar include Black Widow (May 7), F9 (May 28), Venom: Let There Be Carnage (June 25) and Top Gun: Maverick (July 2). Paramount refutes rumors that Top Gun 2 will open on Paramount+, just as insiders elsewhere say there are no plans to send Marvel’s Black Widow to Disney+.

"We're holding out for a hero..."

"I never had sexual intercourse with that woman."

Two truths, one lie.  

I wonder if those "insiders" happen to be paid Disney employees are stressfully told to stress otherwise...until things change?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:55 AM, cax16 said:

There’s no reason to announce anything now about delays/release strategy. It’s not like getting people to see an mcu movie is hard at this point.

Seems like the States will be able to vaccinate a lot of people over the next few months so technically this should be able to open in a pretty decent sized market. And if the larger markets don’t open they can just do a hybrid release. 

I think how WW84 did has sort of killed the enthusiam for hybrid releases of big budget movies.

Looks as if Warners  is NOT setting an industry trend here.

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think how WW84 did has sort of killed the enthusiam for hybrid releases of big budget movies.

Looks as if Warners  is NOT setting an industry trend here.

WW84 had pretty bad reception, just look at how croods is holding in theatres while still being available on pvod. By the time this comes out there will be a lot more theatres open so they could easily have a decent run doing a hybrid release domestically while still doing very well overseas.

Hopefully things are much better by May and this can have a full theatrical release. 

No one is gonna follow WB cause they don’t have too. AT&T is using WB movies as a loss leader for HBOMAX and I think it’s the wrong strategy but there’s a reason that company has 150b in debt. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, cax16 said:

WW84 had pretty bad reception, just look at how croods is holding in theatres while still being available on pvod. By the time this comes out there will be a lot more theatres open so they could easily have a decent run doing a hybrid release domestically while still doing very well overseas.

Hopefully things are much better by May and this can have a full theatrical release. 

No one is gonna follow WB cause they don’t have too. AT&T is using WB movies as a loss leader for HBOMAX and I think it’s the wrong strategy but there’s a reason that company has 150b in debt. 

Disney kind of did. They are releasing basically everything to D+ with the exception of the Fox Films, the marvel movies and a couple of others but basically the rest of actual Disney films are going stright to D+ now.

6 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Disney kind of did. They are releasing basically everything to D+ with the exception of the Fox Films, the marvel movies and a couple of others but basically the rest of actual Disney films are going stright to D+ now.

I mean all the streamers are gonna put movies right to streaming but not all their blockbusters( and whole theatrical schedule). Either way, I don’t want to stray to far off topic in this thread so I’ll just leave it at that. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Funny, well funny sad, seeing all the toys in the bargain bin today at a supermarket and the film isn't even out yet. 

do you happen to have a picture of a Black Widow figure for the upcoming movie? If yes, please pm (not sure if to post is allowed), as I try to find something for the movie here and am not versed enough or...? whyever I can’t find anything.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/super-bowl-movie-trailer-ads-2021-what-to-expect-1234685625/

Disney will have two to four trailers, on par with previous Super Bowls. The studio always likes to keep their Super Bowl blast close to the vest, but it’s quite conceivable we’ll see their Marvel fare again, specifically Disney+ trailers for Loki and The Falcon and the Winter Solider, and possibly their May 7 summer release Black Widow (which also aired a spot last year during Super Bowl) or their March 5 theatrical and Disney+ premium debut of animated pic Raya and the Last Dragon. While Raya seems on track to meet its release date, Covid or not, Black Widow may get delayed. I hear there won’t be any surprises during Super Bowl about Black Widow jettisoning to Disney+.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

In theory we could here about release plans for this at today’s earning call. But a time that makes more sense could be the shareholder meeting on March 9, when they have another month of data on virus trajectory and have initial observations on how hybrid PA fared with Raya.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, DeeCee said:

They can just run the same Black Widow ad at the Super Bowl. 

They didn't run anything on this SuperBowl?  😂

But I get it...people who know the movie's coming...know it's coming...sometime. 

Why waste millions more right now?  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

They didn't run anything on this SuperBowl?  😂

But I get it...people who know the movie's coming...know it's coming...sometime. 

Why waste millions more right now?  

Superbowl commercials , even without the Covid factor, are not the big thing they were a few years ago.