Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

4 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Of course they will go for old terms. 65% for a movie like this in this position.    

And theaters will say “thank god, thank Disney, thank theatrical exclusivity; we would love 50% even more but getting 35% of 300M is  helluva lot better than 55% of 100M.”

We'll see - I'm not sure DOM theaters will eat a 65% revenue cut when they can't sell all their seats...and I don't think there's a person in the world who thinks NY/LA/DC theaters will be able to sell all their seats on May 7...

So, if now you can only sell 30% of your seats (which is about the norm), how much take do you need per show?  I think more than 35%...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, but 50% of 300M would be better than either.

I mean, I said that already in the comment you’re quoting. Theaters know that isn’t on the table, I doubt they focus on it much. You can always daydream about getting 90% of 400M or whatever, but some realism has to enter play at some point.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

We'll see - I'm not sure DOM theaters will eat a 65% revenue cut when they can't sell all their seats...and I don't think there's a person in the world who thinks NY/LA/DC theaters will be able to sell all their seats on May 7...

So, if now you can only sell 30% of your seats (which is about the norm), how much take do you need per show?  I think more than 35%...

They don’t have the leverage to turn down 35%, and that’s that. The pandemic weakens their negotiating position, not strengthens it, and they bowed to the 65% for big blockbusters in normal times.  

Raya they could put up a symbolic fight because it was a medium-small movie already going 0-day window in pandemic conditions.

Edited by WandaLegion

13 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

They don’t have the leverage to turn down 35%, and that’s that. The pandemic weakens their negotiating position, not strengthens it, and they bowed to the 65% for big blockbusters in normal times.  

Raya they could put up a symbolic fight because it was a medium-small movie already going 0-day window in pandemic conditions.

Again, we'll see - Peter Rabbit opens the next weekend, and if Disney really holds out for some harsh guarantees, Cinemark does have a set subscriber base that has kept them on solid footing.

Right now, they are a chain with most locations averaging 12-14 screens.  They have used the private showings to pawn off for parties and families 4-5 screens/week.  So, they have 8-10 screens/week that need filling for at most 4 showings per day thanks to enhanced cleaning.

At a 100-120 seat theater (the norm size they aren't privately renting - most of the theaters have 1-2 big screens and then many in this size range), 30% seat fill (aka a Covid sellout) is 30-36 seats.  At an average price of $9, aka their subscriber extra ticket price - that's $270-$324 show (so say $300 and about 33 seats) 4x/day for $1200 MAX.  Keeping only 35% means they get $420 on the screen for the day.

Versus just putting Peter Rabbit up, say at a 50-50 split with Sony the next weekend for the same weeks.  Then, they only need to sell 24 seats/show to get more money for the day on that screen.  

Right now, when seats are a limiting factor, it's not as hard to find movies, especially kid ones, that can sell you 24 seats 4x/day...you don't need to be a blockbuster to make those kinds of sales.  

Maybe when screens go to 100% fill, theaters might roll over for hardball...but when they are open 2.5 days/week (late Friday and the 2 weekend days), they don't need a lot of product to stay open...they just need to keep a lot of the revenue they make when they do...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How about the middle finger to Disney+ premiere access by giving Black Widow a pure theatrical release?

you are aware about eg in some rural-ish regions all cinemas in a considerable radius can belong to either the same company or the same ‚work-together‘ grouping of companies?

I had in the past more than once to drive to my state‘s capitol to get to see a certain move based on that, that means for me a half day lost for watching one movie. 

I very rarely have a half day time to spend in one row.... 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I don't think there's a person in the world who thinks NY/LA/DC theaters will be able to sell all their seats on May 7

You think wrong :Venom:   

(Is DC even an important market?)

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Staggered release is the way to go if some other territories cannot open at the same time. Hope selfishly overseas gets that week early release.

Australia doesn’t have covid issues, so I would expect the end of April release like with previous summer kickoffs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Staggered release is the way to go if some other territories cannot open at the same time. Hope selfishly overseas gets that week early release.

6 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Australia doesn’t have covid issues, so I would expect the end of April release like with previous summer kickoffs.

Hoyts in both Oz and NZ has Black Widow listed for 29th of April.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jamiem said:

Hoyts in both Oz and NZ has Black Widow listed for 29th of April.

Yep. Event does as well, since I get this when I go to its site:

QsnT31y.png

But as we know Event are pissy at Disney so don't have their stuff listed until late af. Makes me wonder if they'll pull the same with this, but it ain't Raya and people snap up MCU tickets.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

"In Cinemas Soon..." leaves the door open, of course.  But it's pretty clear they are finally going to push this out this summer, no matter when or how.  And yes, I still believe in hybrid/Disney+ release...everything can change until opening day!  I know I'm no closer to getting a vaccine anytime soon...but of course I hope that changes over the next eight weeks!