Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean people said the same about Mulan when Soul went on there without Premiere Access.

Feige on theatrical distribution:

It’s widely said you are among the most vigilant in Hollywood about preserving theatrical releases, as opposed to letting Marvel films go to Disney Plus.
It’s impossible [not to be, when you] go to opening night to 23 movies, in packed movie houses, and seeing the moviegoers’ reaction. That’s what drives us creatively as we make all of these, certainly culminating in “Avengers: Endgame” and “Far From Home.” There’s nothing better than that, and we don’t want to lose it. I’m hoping we don’t have to. If there is nowhere else to put those movies, that’s another conversation, but I’m encouraged by the theaters holding on. Also, what’s happening overseas in countries where [the pandemic] is more under control. Guess what? It’s human nature to want to get together an have an experience. That’s continuing in very big ways in countries where they are able.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/kevin-feige-anthony-mackie-faclon-winter-solider-cap-shield-1234924410/

Kevin Feige must be on BOT, he talks about theaters like some people do here.

Kevin, come here! Show yourself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

And Mulan wasn't very good:).  And Raya was probably worse:).  When the experiment goes backward instead of forward, you give it up fast.

Black Widow's release, if full theatrical, will still be underwhelming, but they must have seen numbers they probably didn't imagine this weekend...

There were signs that May was happening before Rayas release. The decision was likely already made by then, especially since we knew for a while Feige didn't want it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

There were signs that May was happening before Rayas release. The decision was likely already made by then, especially since we knew for a while Feige didn't want it.

If it was made before the open, theatrical Raya would have had a trailer for Black Widow - it didn't...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Why would they keep doing trailers? Nows the time to start doing TV Spots, not trailers

A - b/c it's cheap on their own movie

B - b/c those people are obviously dedicated to going to a movie in theater, even now, so they'll definitely be willing to go in May, so you pitch to the certain audience if you make them like it - Raya and BW audiences will not perfectly overlap, but you can draw a LOT of Raya with a good kid/family focused Black Widow ad

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

it is in the US allowed to show trailers for eg 17y olds before a movie for eg 4y old?

Unless I’m mistaken I think the US only has two different ratings for trailers, green band (suitable for all audiences) and red band (R rated), so theoretically a BW trailer could have played before Raya as all the BW trailers are green band. Although I’m sure a certain amount of discretion is involved, for example you wouldn’t attach a trailer for Happy Death Day to Frozen 2, but BW might be fine.

In the UK they’re considerably stricter, all the BW trailers are rated 12 which would mean that they wouldn’t have been able to attach a BW trailer to the PG rated Raya.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Unless I’m mistaken I think the US only has two different ratings for trailers, green band (suitable for all audiences) and red band (R rated), so theoretically a BW trailer could have played before Raya as all the BW trailers are green band. Although I’m sure a certain amount of discretion is involved, for example you wouldn’t attach a trailer for Happy Death Day to Frozen 2, but BW might be fine.

In the UK they’re considerably stricter, all the BW trailers are rated 12 which would mean that they wouldn’t have been able to attach a BW trailer to the PG rated Raya.

I think its here the same. For movies, not sure about eg game trailer shown in a cinema.

But also on a disc.... if there is even only one second/moment/picture... eg in the behind the scene material that is for older viewers as the movie itself then the DVD/Blu-Ray has to get the older age restriction of the additional material. 

All audience here means the existing ~ 0 years to 5y, in that case a movie for 6y old or even a clip of the material for 6y can not be shown, it has to be explicit considered suitable for eg a 3y old to count as for all audience.

(if that wording makes sense, something feels wrong)

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

I mean, plenty of young kids do watch MCU movies. 

Here its not allowed beside this exception:

12y movies can be (and that is the sole exception, does not count for any other age restriction here) seen by a at least 6y old, if accompanied by a parent who is also the legal parent (eg a divorce can exclude a parent from having the say for upbringing questions, forgot the English term) AND the cinema even offers that (depends eg for some cinemas on the movie, is it considered just 12y old near to the higher limit or is it just 12y because it failed the 6y old limit, some cinemas never allow it)

Here not even a legal parent can take his/her child into a cinema for a not matching age restriction.

The parent and the cinema have to pay 1000,-€ both (first time breaking the rule)

In my media subject I use clips... I always have to make sure there is no wrong age material shown to a too young for it pupil, as it is school I‘d even end before a judge.

57 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think its here the same. For movies, not sure about eg game trailer shown in a cinema.

But also on a disc.... if there is even only one second/moment/picture... eg in the behind the scene material that is for older viewers as the movie itself then the DVD/Blu-Ray has to get the older age restriction of the additional material. 

All audience here means the existing ~ 0 years to 5y, in that case a movie for 6y old or even a clip of the material for 6y can not be shown, it has to be explicit considered suitable for eg a 3y old to count as for all audience.

(if that wording makes sense, something feels wrong)

That happens in the UK too, I remember the original X Men DVD received a 15 rating purely because it had a 15 rated trailer for a season of 24 as part of the extras. You’d think they’d opt to remove the trailer and go with the more accessible 12 rating that the film received, but Fox obviously assumed it wouldn’t impact sales. It still looks odd though.

• Like 1

FWIW Disney does tend to only attach trailers for movies that fall strictly under the actual Disney brand before titles that bear The Castle Logo so I wouldn't read much into a preview for this not being attached before Raya (wherever it's playing). Most likely the reason Cruella was the only attachment.

• Like 3

In a scenario of mass vaccination even 3 weeks can have a huge impact. Entirely possible that they delay this movie just a few weeks to have a much higher vaccination rate, and thus, opening rate throughout the country.

In Canada though... I don't think people under 40 are gonna be vaccinated come May.

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

In a scenario of mass vaccination even 3 weeks can have a huge impact. Entirely possible that they delay this movie just a few weeks to have a much higher vaccination rate, and thus, opening rate throughout the country.

In Canada though... I don't think people under 40 are gonna be vaccinated come May.

Perhaps they should move BW to Memorial Day Weekend and switch Cruella to May 4th. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

3 weeks between international and US? No way