Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

18 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Even if AMC refused to show this it would crush 25/75 though, lmao.

Definitely. This is a film that would do well regardless. All AMC not showing it would do is push people towards other chains. They’d be stupid not to carry it.

This is nowhere near on the same scale, but I remember Cineworld in the UK refusing to show The Hateful Eight, which pushed everyone who wanted to see it towards VUE and Odeon. I saw it at VUE where it was sold out practically all weekend.

20 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Even if AMC refused to show this it would crush 25/75 though, lmao.

AMC and Cinemark are more than enough for DOA. I hope Disney is smart enough. They are in for rude awakening otherwise. Their bullish nature might give MCU a flop. 

4 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Definitely. This is a film that would do well regardless. All AMC not showing it would do is push people towards other chains. They’d be stupid not to carry it.

This is nowhere near on the same scale, but I remember Cineworld in the UK refusing to show The Hateful Eight, which pushed everyone who wanted to see it towards VUE and Odeon. I saw it at VUE where it was sold out practically all weekend.

From AMC perspective, they are not making that much money through selling bad food. So there is no incentive to pay Disney bigger cut when these theatre chains are ailing big time. There wont be any sense of FOMO in regards to any movie even if it has endgame level potential. Until there is a sense of normal where theatres can get back as much of auxiliary revenue as possible, there wont be incentive to bow to any studio's demands. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

From AMC perspective, they are not making that much money through selling bad food. So there is no incentive to pay Disney bigger cut when these theatre chains are ailing big time. There wont be any sense of FOMO in regards to any movie even if it has endgame level potential. Until there is a sense of normal where theatres can get back as much of auxiliary revenue as possible, there wont be incentive to bow to any studio's demands. 

From Disney's perspective, if they give in 1 time, they will be forced for every movie for eternity. AMC knows this.

• Like 1

I hope Disney won't yield to Cinemark & Co, they must pay for what they did to Raya, a masterpiece that were deserving the same numbers as GvsK.

Disney will probably renegotiate terms once the pandemic is over and will give them a 30-day to 45-day exclusivity window (unless BW is a huge success as a PA) but in the meantime they should hold on.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I hope Disney won't yield to Cinemark & Co, they must pay for what they did to Raya, a masterpiece that were deserving the same numbers as GvsK.

Disney will probably renegotiate terms once the pandemic is over and will give them a 30-day to 45-day exclusivity window (unless BW is a huge success as a PA) but in the meantime they should hold on.

No offense but theatre chains are not the bad guys here. They are hurting bad having almost zero revenue since the pandemic began. even though they are open with restrictions, they are not making enough to even pay back debt. Plus the biggest revenue drivers for the chains, food/drinks sales are also not happening if people have to watch movie masked. This is a terrible time to twist their arm. WB did the right thing in giving them a better deal to screen GVK. Disney will have to do something as well. Recent Forbes article AMC has also made it clear they wont play any movie that wont make business sense . As things stand Disney has to yield. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

No offense but theatre chains are not the bad guys here. They are hurting bad having almost zero revenue since the pandemic began. even though they are open with restrictions, they are not making enough to even pay back debt. Plus the biggest revenue drivers for the chains, food/drinks sales are also not happening if people have to watch movie masked. This is a terrible time to twist their arm. WB did the right thing in giving them a better deal to screen GVK. Disney will have to do something as well. Recent Forbes article AMC has also made it clear they wont play any movie that wont make business sense . As things stand Disney has to yield. 

I mean, Disney has Premiere Access money (100%, not sharing it with anybody) and people who want to see Black Widow will go to theaters having it, no reason for Disney to yield.

Sad for AMC but if they want to be out of business that's their choice.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Regardless of whether Cinemark played it, Raya wouldn't have gotten the numbers of GvK. It just didn't have the buzz. 

• Like 5

Like, yes, theaters are hurting bad. That”s the reason they’ll have to agree to Disney’s terms, not somehow a reason that they can try to boycott the biggest studio by far.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

This just isn’t true, If both sides play hardball Disney pivots (even faster) to being Netflix 2.0. And theaters collapse.

Disney pivoting completely to streaming won't cause theaters to collapse though. And Disney becoming Netflix 2.0 just due to theaters playing hardball is extremely unlikely too. Disney's ecosystem needs theaters. 

• Like 4

If theater chains stand together, then Disney will have to yield. The movie theaters have other blockbusters to play and can survive without Disney when things reach normal or near normal. Disney is the biggest movie studio and that gives them leverage. I am sure the chains would prefer not to boycott Disney, but why not if they are being fleeced? With that being said, I think the parties will work things our and Black Widow will do just fine. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Like, yes, theaters are hurting bad. That”s the reason they’ll have to agree to Disney’s terms, not somehow a reason that they can try to boycott the biggest studio by far.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

WB was willing to compromise and change its terms for theaters, where they are getting the majority of theatrical revenue. Universal was willing to compromise giving some of the PVOD revenue for their movies when they hit digital. But somehow theaters have to kowtow to Disney's previous deals that greatly benefit the greedy pigs at Burbank? You know, the ones that have a massively successful streaming service, several theme parks that folks are dying to go through, and so many other revenue sources? And have had a history of giving crappy deals and strong-arming theaters forever? Yeah, I think these theaters are in the right to take the massive conglomerate down a peg and demand better returns, especially when said conglomerate has so many resources to pull money from. Doesn't matter anyways whether or not Disney is the top dog, since WB's been doing just fine this year already.

And don't even start with this whole "well all companies are greedy lol" because that's just a bunch of "both sides"-ism nonsense people do because they get upset when their massive corporation they stan for is mildly jabbed upon by online forums and Redditors. There's a world of difference between Disney and AMC and you know it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1