Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

On 1/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, Durden said:

For one, the deal is reported to be a hefty $25 million, with potential bonus revenue bouncing that up to $31 million. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5284293/Scarlett-Johansson-25m-Black-Widow-film.html

Marvel and Disney have agreed to the $25 million deal which will make the mother-of-one Hollywood's highest paid actress for a single movie.

That is a bit of click-bait wording/reporting, how much do they think Bullock made on Gravity or Jolie on The Tourist/Salt, some actress of the 90s got some of those giant 20m + 10% of the gross type of deal (Jolie, Bullock, Roberts) over time, making it possible for them to make 30m to 45m on movies (or more went they went absurd hit like Gravity).

Cameron Diaz made over 40m for Bad Teacher (she was rumored to have made around 43m and the leak from Sony show a 53.39m participation bonus that went to the talents for that movie, matching those rumors).

But that rumored deal would be quite strange, no one in Hollywood is making only 20m on a movie and I imagine the same would go for 25, maybe the MCU and is certain to be profitable franchise movies could try to buy people out of their participation bonus, but still a capped to 6m (less entourage, perks, etc... paid out) bonus sound extremely low for that kind of deal.

If the movie make 900m you make 31m if it make zero you make 25m, seem quite useless.

Edited by Barnack

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

For one, the deal is reported to be a hefty $25 million, with potential bonus revenue bouncing that up to $31 million. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5284293/Scarlett-Johansson-25m-Black-Widow-film.html

Marvel and Disney have agreed to the $25 million deal which will make the mother-of-one Hollywood's highest paid actress for a single movie.

That is a bit of click-bait wording/reporting, how much do they think Bullock made on Gravity or Jolie on The Tourist/Salt, some actress of the 90s got some of those giant 20m + 10% of the gross type of deal (Jolie, Bullock, Roberts) over time, making it possible for them to make 30m to 45m on movies (or more went they went absurd hit like Gravity).

Cameron Diaz made over 40m for Bad Teacher (she was rumored to have made around 43m and the leak from Sony show a 53.39m participation bonus that went to the talents for that movie, matching those rumors).

But that rumored deal would be quite strange, no one in Hollywood is making only 20m on a movie and I imagine the same would go for 25, maybe the MCU and is certain to be profitable franchise movies could try to buy people out of their participation bonus, but still a capped to 6m (less entourage, perks, etc... paid out) bonus sound extremely low for that kind of deal.

If the movie make 900m you make 31m if it make zero you make 25m, seem quite useless.

This is the MCU, they aren't paying on those kind of rates ($35-40m)  - for any one who's name is not RDJ.  Though not many films are any more toward lead actors.  They don't have to.  Many lead actors now make less than $20m and certainly several of those who lead franchises in the MCU.  The MCU outside of RDJ do performance bonuses not participation points.

So, I'm doubtful of the $25-31m quote - especially after the B.O. year she just had.  Though maybe it could hit $20m.  

They also get the numbers wrong in this paragraph or they're just dealing with out dated info, though adding them makes the $25-30m look even more unbelievable.

Jeff Kelly of US entertainment marketing firm JDMC said: 'Scarlett is a seat filler, audience pleaser and a brilliant actress.

'She has been astonishing in this franchise, and so deserves the deal and the payment. It is not unfathomable that she could earn over a billion if the script is right.

'Her wages are getting closer to those of her male co-stars and leading men, but a big step away from Robert's deals.

'This makes her the highest paid female actress for a one-off film.'

Meanwhile, Chris Evans, who plays Steve Rogers aka Captain America, takes home around $7 million, with Jeremy Renner and Chris Hemsworth both earn $6.5 million with bonuses for box office sales.

Mark Ruffalo makes around $3.2 million for the Hulk with bonus add-ons too.

Edited by TalismanRing

I really do not think 25 to 30m type of possible compensation is specially high with her track record for an established cannot be recast character, it even feel really low (I imagine Marvel has that great power of being able to have success with anything and not having to say yes to people and can still them about how good publicity it is for them and so on). Walhberg deal on Transformer series kind of sounded better to me and they could have cast someone else, making the negotiation easier. Or Denzel on a Mag 7 type of movie is getting better deal.

I really doubt she is getting paid less than her male co-star except RDJ like he is saying, Disney said she was getting around the same has them on Ultron if I remember correctly and they never had anything close to Lucy type of success outside the MCU that would make sense for them to make more than her. Maybe he mean for her role on something like Winter Soldier vs the lead her wage was close... Not sure I understand correctly is statement.

Regardless, saying a 25 to 31m would be higher that the 20m + 10% gross and ever bigger deal the biggest actress (Roberts, Jolie, Bullock, etc...) used to get (not profit, starting at gross) fell a bit like playing with semantic here, because there is virtually no way when you had gross point on a big movie getting a big wide world release that you would not get much more than 25m even in the worst case scenario.

Maybe that why they could give her so little potential bonus (6m is not much more that a Bill Hader doing voice on a Cloudy 2 maximum bonus to give how extremely little it is) if there is any truth to it, her team valuing that rumored to be highest before production unadjusted for inflation salary deal for an actress type of press.

Edited by Barnack

24 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I really do not think 25 to 30m type of possible compensation is specially high with her track record for an established cannot be recast character, it even feel really low (I imagine Marvel has that great power of being able to have success with anything and not having to say yes to people and can still them about how good publicity it is for them and so on)

I really doubt she is getting paid less than her male co-star except RDJ like he is saying, Disney said she was getting around the same has them on Ultron if I remember correctly and they never had anything close to Lucy type of success outside the MCU that would make sense for them to make more than her. Maybe he mean for her role on something like Winter Soldier vs the lead her wage was close... Not sure I understand correctly is statement.

Regardless, saying a 25 to 31m would be higher that the 20m + 10% gross and ever bigger deal the biggest actress (Roberts, Jolie, Bullock, etc...) used to get (not profit, starting at gross) fell a bit like playing with semantic here, because there is virtually no way when you had gross point on a big movie getting a big wide world release that you would not get much more than 25m even in the worst case scenario.

Maybe that why they could give her so little potential bonus (6m is not much more that a Bill Hader doing voice on a Cloudy 2 maximum bonus to give how extremely little it is) if there is any truth to it, her team valuing that rumored to be highest before production unadjusted for inflation salary deal for an actress type of press.

I think we're talking at cross purposes

Oh of course that deal is not higher than what other actresses have made.  Bullock made about $70m off of Gravity but most if not all came from participation points.

But Marvel does not do participation points for it's actors except RDJ and even his is about 5% (otherwise his payout on Avengers would have been $150m not $75m) and he is the only one getting participation points.  Otherwise it's B.O. milestone bonuses. 

Lucy came on the back of The Winter Soldier which I believe helped it enormously - but that came out after AOU started filming and after salary negotiations for the film.   So no impact though they were reportedly paid the same. 

Ghost in the Shell though is more recent which lessens her Lucy shine a bit.

But the point is none of the other leads in the MCU, aside from RDJ,  are making that kind of salary even after re-negotiations or have participation points, not even Evans and Hemsworth in their third go around as leads playing characters who are frankly more valuable to the franchise and their films.  

She's out of contract now which could raise her asking price and she's a popular actress playing a now popular character  but as said this is Marvel and it's it's too high they can make another movie with another female character.  Valkyrie or Scarlett Witch for instance.   So there's no need for them to be dangling participation points.  She's not RDJ.

Edited by TalismanRing

I am not sure how we could have an idea of RDJ compensation on something like Avengers or if the others get points or not, say like someone already fully establish they really wanted like Cumberbatch for strange. I imagine Feige and some others like a returning Whedon must have got them also.

If he RDJ have old school gross point on the theatrical rental of the Avengers that was of around 700m, 5% being around 35m and 10% around 70m (they sometime remove some of the top 10% distribution fee or others condition on that rentals when it come time to calculate it)

You could be right about Marvel special place of negotiation power, it is just strange to see high salary but no participation combo, didn't thought it could exist.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:09 PM, Daxtreme said:

No one has a better comedic timing in the entire MCU than Chris Hemsworth in my opinion.

Not even RDJ

I think Hemsworth is great at comedy but no way.  Set aside Iron Man, Tropic of Thunder or Sherlock Holmes -  RDJ even stole scenes from Rodney Dangerfield in Back To School. Also, watched The Wonder Boys again last night - he's fantastic in that and steals every scene.

As stated -  Evans is also great at comedy - NATM, FF, The Losers etc. 

Then you know there's Paul Rudd who's not too shabby.  

Edited by TalismanRing

On 1/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, That One Guy said:

FROM THE WRITER OF OLAF'S FROZEN ADVENTURE

Yeah and James Gunn wrote Scooby Doo, Joss Whedon wrote Alien 4, and Russos wrote that bad comedy film I can't remember. Aren't we pass this yet?

Edited by eddyxx

EXCLUSIVE: Details on Marvel Studios ‘Black Widow’ Solo Film

The film will find Natasha living in the United States 15 years after the fall of the Soviet Union! That timeline places the film firmly in the mid-2000s, meaning we’ll meet up with Nat prior to the events of Iron Man 2. That time frame opens up plenty of options, and while many fans seem to want a Black Widow/Hawkeye team up in Budapest, we’ve been told that early discussions about the film involved Sebastian Stan’s Winter Soldier.

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/04/exclusive-details-on-marvel-studios-black-widow-solo-film/

• Like 2

Just now, aaSlattery said:

Terminator except it's not Arnie it's Sebastian Stan.

At least the mask gotta stay on cuz she ain't know who he is. Phew

Also cast Emily Blunt as the villain for the memes plz

• Like 1