Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah but I think 450m is quite optimistic for this. I mean the heavy lockdowns in the USA surely contributed to the performance of Trolls 2. Now yes, Covid is out of control in the USA and many people are still at home, but compliance is not at the level it was in April and who knows what things will look like on September 4th. I think this one is gonna be very hard to predict. 

personally i think that the internet is overreacting again, yes it is a worrying sign, but thats about it, we dont have any info yet now personal opinion even if bw or soul do the same thing i dont believe that disney or any other studio will make this their buisness at least in terms of blockbuster movies, at the same time people forget that mulan will be released in theaters just not all of them  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, john2000 said:

you forget though the budget and all the marketing cost that disney spent on mulan, dont forget disney spent all of their marketing budget on this one already, and its probably one of the reasons why the movies goes to d+ they dont want to invest more ( it doesnt mean that its the only reason though)

Ya I get that about marketing etc, but the point is if they make 450M+ on Disney+ that still equates to what they would clear from a billion dollar theatrical run I think. Plus I’m sure they’re hoping this gets more subs for Disney+. 

Obviously we’re in a very unique situation with Covid so I’m not sure how long the model of $30( or more) rentals can last. 

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Ya that’s what I was thinking as well, but if it does do those numbers then who knows what happens next. 

noone, but we know the potential of the movie theaters and its huge, and imo even if mulan does this well from the streaming alone, disney cant take it for guarrantee, we will see but personally i dont see disney make this their new buisness model, i can see them put small/mid scale movies but blockbusters ? i think that its too early to say

In case it got missed in the hubbub: not rentals. Full access for the length of your subscription (unclear if it resets if your subscription ends/is cancelled but I'd assume not just for clerical reasons like changing credit cards when they expire and such).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

In case it got missed in the hubbub: not rentals. Full access for the length of your subscription (unclear if it resets if your subscription ends/is cancelled but I'd assume not just for clerical reasons like changing credit cards when they expire and such).

Smells like a DLC for games. I have bad memories from playing EA games. 

13 minutes ago, Sean B said:

If black widow is completely foregoing its theatrical release and goes to streaming instead, then what will that mean for its Blu-ray release ? 

I doubt it would affect any Blu Ray release, it will probably still just come out on Blu Ray 3 months after it debuted on PVOD.

• Thanks 2

Mulan would do +300m in north america If it were hit.

that would be like 150M cut fir Disney

and this is if there was no corona.

so with $29.99, they only need around 5M sales to match that. 

not to mention they also get more subs for D+.

+ 29.99 is only expensive for single viewer, but cheaper for family/friends.

there's nothing they can do at this point for theater release with current US situation.. also recent THR Poll had 60% prefer stream at home over theater and only 15% will go to theater in first month of re-open.

so this is great move at this point. 

I can totally see disney doing same thing with BW If mulan pass 5M sales.

and focus on Eternals as first marvel film after corona.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

I think too many people on this board way overestimate just how much a turn-off the $30 price tag is for Mulan. On various social media, I see people that don't follow BO saying the price tag is a rip off and no way will they pay for that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I think too many people on this board way overestimate just how much a turn-off the $30 price tag is for Mulan. On various social media, I see people that don't follow BO saying the price tag is a rip off and no way will they pay for that. 

That’s pretty much all I’m seeing on Twitter, although it should be said that people who think negatively of the pricing are more likely to shout louder about it than people who see the price and just quietly accept it. Personally, me and my partner are likely to pay the $30 for Mulan and watch it together, but we’re not shouting about it on social media. 

Black Widow may have to wait though if they take that the same PVOD route, as she has no interest in it (despite being a Marvel fan), and $30 may be too steep for me to watch it by myself. 

I feel like this is squarely aimed at families who are reluctant to go back to theatres, so I wouldn’t expect Black Widow to go PVOD too really as the target audience for Marvel films skew older, and that audience is more likely to risk theatres compared to the family audience who are less likely to risk their kids lives for a film.

• Like 1

I wonder what will happen to Disney's upcoming live action remakes. Namely, Cruella, set for 2021, has a lot of star power with Emma Stone in the iconic role, but does it have a fanbase wide enough for it to be more profitable in movie theatres than on VOD?

The biggest question mark is on the Little Mermaid (2022?) though. The Cast has no star-power whatsoever, (Bardem has never been a draw and Mccartney is a complete uknown out of USA), and POC Halle Bailey being Ariel almost certainly will kill any interest in the movie from China, while Europe is also likely to give a cold response at the B.O. given the large wave of racism and the general protectiveness of the source material, as the tale is very much perceived as a (white) European heritage.

Dark times ahead for cinemas?

2 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I wonder what will happen to Disney's upcoming live action remakes. Namely, Cruella, set for 2021, has a lot of star power with Emma Stone in the iconic role, but does it have a fanbase wide enough for it to be more profitable in movie theatres than on VOD?

The biggest question mark is on the Little Mermaid (2022?) though. The Cast has no star-power whatsoever, (Bardem has never been a draw and Mccartney is a complete uknown out of USA), and POC Halle Bailey being Ariel almost certainly will kill any interest in the movie from China, while Europe is also likely to give a cold response at the B.O. given the large wave of racism and the general protectiveness of the source material, as the tale is very much perceived as a (white) European heritage.

You're reading waaay too much into that. I doubt Europeans have any clue, much less care, where the tale originated from (they didn't when the animated film came out). All that matters is when the virus makes cinemas viable again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

You're reading waaay too much into that. I doubt Europeans have any clue, much less care, where the tale originated from (they didn't when the animated film came out). All that matters is when the virus makes cinemas viable again.

I'm actually from Europe, and the two countries I know the most Italy, (where I was born and where I live)  and France (where I lived for quite a long span of time) both had a super negative reaction to the news, with the prevalent sentiment on social media being "outrage" at the blackwashing. In Italy, many TV news broadcasts actually reported the casting with deep criticism at Hollywood, for their current trend of taking european culture and twisting it for their own scopes (Pompeii, Davinci's Demons and many other movies/tv shows that took italian stories/ culture and cast british/american or POC instead of italians were featured).

These kind of controversies usually end up having a bad effect on the b.o. especially when there are parents involved, as they are not as likely to bring their children to the screenings. 

It sucks, but it is a factor that can't be ignored.