Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

When you say sadface - are you actually surprised?

I think literally everyone knew this was going to happen ever since Tenet launched.

Pretty much, with Tenet bombing domestically no chance studios' releasing anything big this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

Pretty much, with Tenet bombing domestically no chance studios' releasing anything big this year.

Disney basically wrote off 2020, I suspect other studios will follow. Dinsey made an experiment with Mulan, id dnot work, they  will not repeat it.

US Domestic gross is just too big to throe away.

5 hours ago, Gamora said:

Thank god they moved it and are committed to theatrical, the thought of watching this for the first time on Disney+ was too depressing to me for words. I'm also glad they didn't bother fucking around with February because odds are low that that's going to be decent, might as well be realistic about this shit.

Disney just about moved every major film., including it's Oscar Bait remake of "West Side Story".

Not that I expect this to remain the case, but atm the entire Phase 4 6 movie slate is scheduled to come out in a 10 month window (May 2021-March 2022). Pretty funny stuff, if they kept that and had a May 6 2022 movie we could maybe hit 7B+ from one franchise in a one year release window 😂   

Current record is the gotg2-IW corridor with 6B.

Edit: actually the IW-Endgame corridor did 6.6B in just 4 movies. Phase 4+first of phase 5 could possibly fall short even with 75% more movies.

Edited by WandaLegion

Only film coming close to being a major release for Disney is "Death On the Nile" in Decomber, and that  did not cost a lot to make;,no where near a blockbuster budget. I think the MOue wants to show the flag in the Holiday season,and Nile was the obvious choice;they won't lose much on it no matter what.

6 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Not that I expect this to remain the case, but atm the entire Phase 4 6 movie slate is scheduled to come out in a 10 month window (May 2021-March 2022). Pretty funny stuff, if they kept that and had a May 6 2022 movie we could maybe hit 7B+ from one franchise in a one year release window 😂   

Current record is the gotg2-IW corridor with 6B.

Edit: actually the IW-Endgame corridor did 6.6B in just 4 movies. Phase 4+first of phase 5 could possibly fall short even with 75% more movies.

These movies won’t be doing phase 3 numbers in a post Covid world.

• Like 4

Colbert had a bit on his show a few days ago, with a focus group of Trump supporters reacting to fake political ads by him. One was "Let's just re-do 2020 in 2021. Everyone stays the same age, we can then have much lower cases of the virus, we can have the elections, etc". Studios are certainly taking that on-board. Come on, guys - let's literally shift EVERYTHING by a full 12 months, keep the 2020 dates for 2021. There's one mid-July prime spot open now though, thanks to Tenet jumping on the sword.

The Covid numbers over the  past week shows why Disney was smart in moving this and basically cancelling the rest of 2020. Disney was listening to the Medical experts who were predicting a second wave as cold weather started.

Some studios..I am looking at you, Warners, did not.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Good decision to delay but these delays cost money as debt is raised for these projects. Longer they are not released, there are costs. But that is still better than releasing it now when BO will be disaster. Let us see how things are in 2021. I am not optimistic about BO being 100% normal even next year. Its better to slow down on mega budget blockbuster productions and focus on stuff that can be made for streaming. That's going to be their cash cow. 

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

Honestly, I feel like the first half of next year is not gonna be good for box office as well, may not be until next fall that things improve significantly. Not sure how much longer they can kick this can down the road, other studios too might have to swallow their pride and make changes as well. It's amusing/fascinating to watch how some people can adapt and others just wait it out until they could/can catch a break.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Have lost all interest in this.

I imagine many people feel like this. The constant delays of 2020 movies deflated their hype. The marketing dept will have a hard job next year to get people interested again in these delayed movies. Even if Corona stabilizes i think the maximum potential of these 2020 movies has been decreased. There's a loss of hype without a doubt. And i'm talking about all 2020 delayed movies.

• Like 2

I don’t understand the “delays deflate hype” argument at all. I expect it will be the reverse.    

Of course people on average are less interested in this now than they were last February — it’s much farther from release and hasn’t had serious marketing for months.   

Same opinion goes equally for the non-MCU movies like Bond, AQP, WW84, etc

• Like 6

I think there's a general apathy about these 2020 movies that had already started their campaigns. Some of them released two trailers already. It's just that people are tired of waiting and it's hard to get them excited again. Their trailers released are old news by now, the marketing next year will have a hard time coming up with fresh, new material for something like say, Top Gun 2 that already has three trailers plus a behind the scenes.

Idk, i hope i'm wrong. I think people will be more interested in films that have not started their campaign yet, like Shang chi.

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1