Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

2 minutes ago, Mau said:

Is it possible (and a good idea) to be released in Thanksgiving and move soul to maybe disney +?

So the Corona virus does not exist in your universe?

If BW moves, it wil lbe because of the viurs, and moving it back to Thanksgiving accomplishes nothing;in fact it might be a bad move since, as the cold weather sets in, the virus numbers will skyrocket.

And all these moves are virus driven.  Amazed so many people don't get that.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Why does Mandalorian matter at all? People can see a movie and an episode of TV during the same week

Because putting them out on different weekends/months is the best way they can maximize new signups. 

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Delaying it to Feb is pointless if they're just going to delay it again in Feb anyways. Premier Access wasn't made by accident.

They'll delay it however many times they need if they believe that's the best way to go to make the most profit. Just because Premier Access exists doesn't mean they have to use it for all their tentpoles. 

• Like 1

I think SONY has been ahead of the curve on the virus from the beginning. They saw what would happen with the virus a long time before other studios did. (Being based in Japan, where awareness of infectious diseases and epidemics are much higher then in the West probably had a lot to do with this.0

And I think they are smart in not giving a release date for "No Time To Die" but allow things to run their course; rather then create chaos with endless moving of dates.

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think SONY has been ahead of the curve on the virus from the beginning. They saw what would happen with the virus a long time before other studios did. (Being based in Japan, where awareness of infectious diseases and epidemics are much higher then in the West probably had a lot to do with this.0

And I think they are smart in not giving a release date for "No Time To Die" but allow things to run their course; rather then create chaos with endless moving of dates.

Huh?

1. No Time to Die is a Universal/United Artists release, not Sony.

2. It has a release date. One that was clearly advertised in the latest trailer even.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

So the Corona virus does not exist in your universe?

If BW moves, it wil lbe because of the viurs, and moving it back to Thanksgiving accomplishes nothing;in fact it might be a bad move since, as the cold weather sets in, the virus numbers will skyrocket.

And all these moves are virus driven.  Amazed so many people don't get that.

I was just asking bc It seems that Warner does not care anymore, they are releasing their movies anyway. Like wonder woman during christmas, so I  am just guessing what will Disney do.

20 minutes ago, Mau said:

I was just asking bc It seems that Warner does not care anymore, they are releasing their movies anyway. Like wonder woman during christmas, so I  am just guessing what will Disney do.

I wouldn't go that far.  Yes,  Christmas is the new date but who knows. Obviously they weren't thrilled with the TENET numbers even though there's no telling if they were good or bad given the circumstances.  

There's no easy answer.  They have to get the virus under control and that might take another six months. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I wouldn't go that far.  Yes,  Christmas is the new date but who knows. Obviously they weren't thrilled with the TENET numbers even though there's no telling if they were good or bad given the circumstances.  

There's no easy answer.  They have to get the virus under control and that might take another six months. 

Bet on longer, especially since enough people still don't seem to have patience to do what it takes to curb the spread, and at least until there's a vaccine...and even then, it will be months after that until people en-masse begin to go back to theaters like the old "normal"...if it even happens.  

Edited by Macleod
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Point is Disney can afford to sit on it for a long time,other studios might not have that luxury.

That I am doubting, as they have too many departments being dependent on lots of daily visitors, see their parks too. A lot of the merchandise need fresh impulses to stay in the numbers they are used too. Only for the 3rd quarter the parks had a $3.5b operating income hit, as was reported ~ a month ago. A minus of 85% revenue in comparison to last year.

On the plus side, they reported 100m subscribers 

Here’s how Disney’s segments did in the third quarter in terms of revenue compared to the same quarter last year:

• Media Networks: $6.56 billion, down 2%
  • Parks, Experiences and Products: $983 million, down 85%
  • Studio Entertainment: $1.74 billion, down 55%
  • Direct-to-Consumer and International: $3.97 billion, up 2%

If Soul goes to Disney+ I really don't see how Black Widow doesn't. Especially since Soul probably cost more.

Plus, frankly, Disney needs to make Premier Access a win. Or more specifically, they need to make it look like a win since Disney+ is one of the only bright spots in an otherwise shitty year. There is zero doubt that a Marvel movie, the biggest film franchise on the planet, wouldn't do much much better in the same release format as Mulan.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

23 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If Soul goes to Disney+ I really don't see how Black Widow doesn't. Especially since Soul probably cost more.

Plus, frankly, Disney needs to make Premier Access a win. Or more specifically, they need to make it look like a win since Disney+ is one of the only bright spots in an otherwise shitty year. There is zero doubt that a Marvel movie, the biggest film franchise on the planet, wouldn't do much much better in the same release format as Mulan.

Because, family oriented films lend themselves more to VOD than premium, tentpole franchise movies do.

Animated films hold just about every record ever for DVDs. The main target audience of D+ arguably is families.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, tree said:

Because, family oriented films lend themselves more to VOD than premium, tentpole franchise movies do.

Animated films hold just about every record ever for DVDs. The main target audience of D+ arguably is families.

And the highest selling movies of the past two years are movies with Black Widow in both them.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Disney doesn't want to set a precedent for MCU Films debuting on Disney+. It's an easier decision for Soul since it's a one off Pixar film. 

They already have plenty of "TV" shows in the pipeline via Marvel and Star Wars that are going to blur the line and apparently connect to movie universes.  In a perfect world, Disney would like you to see BW in theaters, then come home and watch WandaVision and WinterSoldier on Disney+ , then go see Eternals, then come home and watch WHAT IF?  Rinse, wash, repeat.  They're investing big budgets and star casts and directors into these shows and the Star Wars stuff, so there really is little difference right now.  Like I said before, I think they will be willing to take the hit with BW, at the very least -- or at least open a simultaneous run in theaters and on the channel, which is what many people I know are asking for, lately - to be able to choose. 

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Disney doesn't want to set a precedent for MCU Films debuting on Disney+. It's an easier decision for Soul since it's a one off Pixar film. 

Depends how interconnected Black Widow is to say Falcon and Winter Soldier, then again I guess they could take a bath on Black Widow in theatres if they need Falcon out in December or January. 

Edited by Jamiem

6 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Depends how interconnected Black Widow is to say Falcon and Winter Soldier, then again I guess they could take a bath on Black Widow in theatres if they need Falcon out in December or January. 

I think this is the only factor that will really determine where and when BW releases, how connected it is going forward and when the D+ shows will premier.