Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 hour ago, Eric Karga said:

Who says Papa Feige is the one in charge of all this?

Yeah, this would be the main concern. But Disney’s actions so far with the theatrical streaming balance have been a lot more measured than AT&T, who seem to be desperate for subs after the launch was underwhelming.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I think BW will either have a very short theatrical only window, like a couple weeks at most, or it will open simultaneously in theaters and on D+. The world has changed.

Yes.  Nothing is off the table now, especially after today's news.  But Disney won't announce this anytime soon, so that they don't look like "followers."  But when May comes around, I'm betting 99% that this will be the reality - a simultaneous availability.  It would be there in a couple of months, anyway, so... 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Menor said:

If possible, I think many people will want to get out of the house. I know I will. So I think they will wait and see how things go with vaccine distribution. There's no pressure to make a decision now. 

There really has been nothing to suggest this will be anything but an isolated group here and there.  You would have expected to see some of this get out of the house and do something sometime between Tenet opening until now and there just was not huge bumps as markets reopened and it would be easier to spot as grosses are low and with the exception of Tenet and Croods 2 these are movies that would see a boost from walk up and see movie to see a movie.   The obvious counter argument is people are still scared and Tenet and Croods are it which is fair but if you are a studio you can hope for this but you can't plan for this.

6 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

There really has been nothing to suggest this will be anything but an isolated group here and there.  You would have expected to see some of this get out of the house and do something sometime between Tenet opening until now and there just was not huge bumps as markets reopened and it would be easier to spot as grosses are low and with the exception of Tenet and Croods 2 these are movies that would see a boost from walk up and see movie to see a movie.   The obvious counter argument is people are still scared and Tenet and Croods are it which is fair but if you are a studio you can hope for this but you can't plan for this.

There was no vaccine distribution timeline for Tenet and others. Depending on how things go Disney might rather give Black Widow one final delay than dump it on Premier Access. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

I still expect this to go the D+ route. In a few months the service will need something new to maintain/increase interest and frankly the US vaccine distribution probably won't be good enough that everything's back to normal by even next summer.

They’re getting WandaVision next month.

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I still expect this to go the D+ route. In a few months the service will need something new to maintain/increase interest and frankly the US vaccine distribution probably won't be good enough that everything's back to normal by even next summer.

I'm not sure of the exact schedule of shows after Wandavision but it seems they'll have at the very least Falcon and Winter Soldier and Loki for the first half of 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

I'm not sure of the exact schedule of shows after Wandavision but it seems they'll have at the very least Falcon and Winter Soldier and Loki for the first half of 2021.

And they still have WHAT IF? being made/in the can already for later this year.  It's an easy model to figure out.  I had a free Disney+ subscription through Verizon that just ended...conveniently enough...right after The Mandalorian Season 2 premiered.  Right after The Mandalorian ends, WandaVision will debut within a couple of weeks.  That runs six weeks, I think?  In early/mid March, one of the other Marvel Shows will debut.  Etc. Etc.  By later next year, some other Star Wars shows will be in production/in the can.  I'd bet that ultimately, Disney+/Feige will aim to have one new episode of something Marvel or Star Wars running every single week all year, once the machine gets up and running again post-COVID.  They want to keep you hooked and to keep subscribing; that's their plan.  So it really will be a matter of whether they "need" something to fill that space in May, because one or two of the Marvel shows may not be quite finished yet due to COVID issues.  I think we'll learn more next Thursday!

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

And they still have WHAT IF? being made/in the can already for later this year.  It's an easy model to figure out.  I had a free Disney+ subscription through Verizon that just ended...conveniently enough...right after The Mandalorian Season 2 premiered.  Right after The Mandalorian ends, WandaVision will debut within a couple of weeks.  That runs six weeks, I think?  In early/mid March, one of the other Marvel Shows will debut.  Etc. Etc.  By later next year, some other Star Wars shows will be in production/in the can.  I'd bet that ultimately, Disney+/Feige will aim to have one new episode of something Marvel or Star Wars running every single week all year, once the machine gets up and running again post-COVID.  They want to keep you hooked and to keep subscribing; that's their plan.  So it really will be a matter of whether they "need" something to fill that space in May, because one or two of the Marvel shows may not be quite finished yet due to COVID issues.  I think we'll learn more next Thursday!

1 hour/week won't be enough for folks to keep a service...

They are gonna need more, especially if they want to up their price (which has been rumored).

I'd say they need to combine that with either a hit movie, or "one show/week from all of the big 3 - Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars" to be able to keep folks on post discounts...

I mean, I watched 1 hour of Hulu/week - that wasn't nearly enough to keep me, once it was $6/month...