Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

Gonna be a ton of Grace Randolph and her ilk grabbing whatever clickbait headline they can think of and running with it to break up the monotony of the "this is how COVID-19 is hurting the industry today" pieces they're stuck with for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

If they released BW onto VOD I would be beyond gutted. I'm dying to see it but I don't care if I have to wait until next May for a theatrical release, screw digital. I want to see her solo on the big screen in a sold out cinema, not on my god damn tv by myself.

That being said I'm not worried because lol Grace Randolph as the "source". I'm also sitting here wondering why people listen to her in the slightest, it's truly baffling. I see some BW fans getting upset and starting petitions for it to be released theatrically and I'm like, honey, don't worry about that shit in the least. But I wouldn't bother engaging with anyone on twitter since they're too set on freaking out over a ridiculous rumour with little logic or reasoning behind it.

Even though we're on lockdown here I got my copy of Empire in the post from the UK and the cover is just so beautiful I keep staring at it. It fucking sucks we're going to have to wait lord knows how long but obviously what's happening IRL is much more important than a movie. Speaking of BW merch, I got an email saying my order of the Prelude comic has shipped, so at least I can read that when it gets here. :lol:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gamora said:

That being said I'm not worried because lol Grace Randolph as the "source". I'm also sitting here wondering why people listen to her in the slightest, it's truly baffling.

Online CBM fanboy community shares a lot in common with the online video game fanboy community: they’re filled with kids and mentally ill adults.
Click on the twitter accounts of people that respond to Randolph posts on twitter. It’s never regular degular people. It’s anonymous accounts making 50+post a day shilling their fave franchise. These people are sheep. They make it easy for people like Randolph to build an audience.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, AJG said:

Online CBM fanboy community shares a lot in common with the online video game fanboy community: they’re filled with kids and mentally ill adults.
Click on the twitter accounts of people that respond to Randolph posts on twitter. It’s never regular degular people. It’s anonymous accounts making 50+post a day shilling their fave franchise. These people are sheep. They make it easy for people like Randolph to build an audience.

I didn't take that close a look at it and only had a quick scroll, but I will say that generally modern fandom sets my teeth on edge so I mostly don't participate any more. Forums can be better but twitter is absolutely obnoxious and filled with ridiculous screeching stans so I limit my viewing of that. I suppose all one can do is hope that they eventually grow out of it or find something better to do with their lives. But until Disney release an official statement about it I can see many more clickbait headlines being written about this while there's not much other news coming out and people bored at home jumping all over it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

There is 0% chance of any uber blockbuster releasing on VOD even if theaters are down rest of the year. They will wait it out as there will be a huge boost to BO once things are back normal. 

But smaller movies, movies highly likely to bomb(New Mutants) likely to go VOD route. 

I wouldn't say 0%, but unlikely. it's also very unlikely theaters will stay closed the ENTIRE year too. imo

• Like 1

As John Fithian, the chief of the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO), told The Hollywood Reporter, unlike Universal most studios are supporting theaters with their new release plans: 

For all the movies that had been scheduled for release during April and May, every other distributor announced delays to later times. But they still intend to release those delayed movies theatrically…But all of the movies with originally planned release dates in April and May, with the one exception of Trolls, will be released later theatrically, with full theatrical windows. All those other studios demonstrated their belief that the theatrical model is still essential to their business, they just had to delay release dates because of the virus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

There is 0% chance of any uber blockbuster releasing on VOD even if theaters are down rest of the year. They will wait it out as there will be a huge boost to BO once things are back normal. 

But smaller movies, movies highly likely to bomb(New Mutants) likely to go VOD route. 

I mean, that would make sense under normal circumstances, but right now the way things have developed we have no idea when "back to normal" is going to happen. They just hold onto Black Widow until, optimistically, late July, hope that people are still willing to go to theaters even if they reopen, and not swamped by the competition that also all got delayed to around the same time.

It's not one film being delayed down the line, everybody will, and with all their parks shut down, movie theaters shut down, most of their live action productions shut down, Disney still needs to make money somehow and aside from toys and etc digital and streaming is their only real option.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It is strange they haven't set a release date tho

I don't see how that's strange. They don't want to stake down a date just to have to delay it again should theaters still be closed or, if they are open, the market still being deflated.

Y'all may point to WW84 but I think that August date is optimistic at this rate.

• Like 3

yeah if they set the date and it had to move again, it would become a meme like NM. So better wait and see.

whatever will be will be but it's very likely that entertainment scoopers are now scrapping for any "news" cause the well got really really dry with entertainment industry paralyzed and waiting to see what happens next before they commit to dates, production, etc. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, cookie said:

They don't want to stake down a date just to have to delay it again

That's really not going to make a difference. I doubt many people outside of people who actually follow these movies really even know the exact release dates of most upcoming movies until its close to their release dates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

yeah if they set the date and it had to move again, it would become a meme like NM.

Except NM wasn't moved multiple times due to a virus or theaters being closed. Nobody is going to hold it against BW, WW84 or any other movie if they keep moving release dates because of the situation. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kalo said:

I wouldn't say 0%, but unlikely. it's also very unlikely theaters will stay closed the ENTIRE year too. imo

In a worst-case scenario where theaters ARE shut down for the entire year, and don't reopen until January (or later), it seems like it would pretty much kill ultra-big budget movies. There's no way you could justify spending $300M (200 production plus 100 p&a) on any movie, not even Black Panther 2. There would simply be no guarantees that the audience would come back. Or that there wouldn't be another theater shutdown the following year.

8 hours ago, meridan said:

Except NM wasn't moved multiple times due to a virus or theaters being closed. Nobody is going to hold it against BW, WW84 or any other movie if they keep moving release dates because of the situation. 

when did reasonable reasons prevent people from creating memes? :redcapes:

On 3/28/2020 at 4:49 PM, Gamora said:

I didn't take that close a look at it and only had a quick scroll, but I will say that generally modern fandom sets my teeth on edge so I mostly don't participate any more. Forums can be better but twitter is absolutely obnoxious and filled with ridiculous screeching stans so I limit my viewing of that. I suppose all one can do is hope that they eventually grow out of it or find something better to do with their lives. But until Disney release an official statement about it I can see many more clickbait headlines being written about this while there's not much other news coming out and people bored at home jumping all over it.

This. The sheer stupidity I see in on line fandom is just unberable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Will this be what we need to convince the world that Grace Randolph is a lying clown with no connections to the industry at all? 

At this point, anybody who takes Grace Randolph seriously is pretty much dumb beyond redemption.

• Like 4