Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Desplat to Balfe is probably the biggest possible downgrade there is.

Balfe is still damn good for these kinds of movies. I'd even say a better choice than Desplat. Desplat's scores for blockbusters have mostly been forgettable (and he clearly does those for the paycheck). Very few exceptions like the Godzilla score and the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movies scores but Desplat mostly seems to phone it in when it comes to blockbusters.

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Balfe is still damn good for these kinds of movies. I'd even say a better choice than Desplat. Desplat's scores for blockbusters have mostly been forgettable (and he clearly did those for the paycheck). Very few exceptions like the Godzilla score and the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movies scores but Desplat mostly seems to phone it in when it comes to blockbusters.

I'm not crazy on Deathly Hallows Part II (you can hear the producers breathing down his neck) but Godzilla and Valerian are absolutely brilliant.

Balfe is brought on all these movies with a few weeks to score for a reason - he's a craftsman. He gets the job done, but it's never anything special. His Fallout score was so limp compared to what Kraemer did with Rogue Nation.

• Like 2

Balfe, Desplat or Henry Jackman... In my view, these are pretty interchangeable for an MCU film. I think the result is going to be polished and quite good, but won't get in the way nor will it be very memorable. 

I am just glad it won't be Zimmer.

10 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm not crazy on Deathly Hallows Part II (you can hear the producers breathing down his neck) but Godzilla and Valerian are absolutely brilliant.

Balfe is brought on all these movies with a few weeks to score for a reason - he's a craftsman. He gets the job done, but it's never anything special. His Fallout score was so limp compared to what Kraemer did with Rogue Nation.

It's such a shame too because Balfe can actually be pretty good on occasion but like most members of RCP, his work is now just basically doing rushed score replacements for blockbusters. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

does it really matter though ?

Yes? Because film scoring is extremely male and I'm sure there's women out there who deserve to have a chance to get a big movie like this. If women headlining movies and directing them is important, scoring should be as well.

A 2018 study by the University of Southern California revealed that for the top 100 fictional films at the box office every year from 2007 to 2017, only 16 female composers were hired, compared with more than 1,200 men.

-

Another report, from the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film, showed that of the top 250 films at the domestic box office in 2018, 94 percent were scored by men.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/movies/female-film-composers.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JB33 said:

People forget that, given COVID-19, it looks like he'll actually have a long time to work on the score. Hope he delivers something unique!

This is assuming he didn't already complete the score, and the announcement just came late

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TMP said:

This is assuming he didn't already complete the score, and the announcement just came late

Which, according to the guy running Hans Zimmer's website and is a reliable source for any info on him or other RCP composers, he did.

31 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Which, according to the guy running Hans Zimmer's website and is a reliable source for any info on him or other RCP composers, he did.

But was it recorded?