Jump to content
Kalo

Black Widow | November 6, 2020 | William Hurt as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross will save us all!

Recommended Posts

Desplat to Balfe is probably the biggest possible downgrade there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Desplat to Balfe is probably the biggest possible downgrade there is.

Balfe is still damn good for these kinds of movies. I'd even say a better choice than Desplat. Desplat's scores for blockbusters have mostly been forgettable (and he clearly does those for the paycheck). Very few exceptions like the Godzilla score and the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movies scores but Desplat mostly seems to phone it in when it comes to blockbusters.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Balfe is still damn good for these kinds of movies. I'd even say a better choice than Desplat. Desplat's scores for blockbusters have mostly been forgettable (and he clearly did those for the paycheck). Very few exceptions like the Godzilla score and the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movies scores but Desplat mostly seems to phone it in when it comes to blockbusters.

I'm not crazy on Deathly Hallows Part II (you can hear the producers breathing down his neck) but Godzilla and Valerian are absolutely brilliant.

 

Balfe is brought on all these movies with a few weeks to score for a reason - he's a craftsman. He gets the job done, but it's never anything special. His Fallout score was so limp compared to what Kraemer did with Rogue Nation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balfe, Desplat or Henry Jackman... In my view, these are pretty interchangeable for an MCU film. I think the result is going to be polished and quite good, but won't get in the way nor will it be very memorable. 

 

I am just glad it won't be Zimmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm not crazy on Deathly Hallows Part II (you can hear the producers breathing down his neck) but Godzilla and Valerian are absolutely brilliant.

 

Balfe is brought on all these movies with a few weeks to score for a reason - he's a craftsman. He gets the job done, but it's never anything special. His Fallout score was so limp compared to what Kraemer did with Rogue Nation.

It's such a shame too because Balfe can actually be pretty good on occasion but like most members of RCP, his work is now just basically doing rushed score replacements for blockbusters. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

As for the score, it's still not too late to get a woman... Just saying.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gamora said:

 

As for the score, it's still not too late to get a woman... Just saying.

does it really matter though ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

does it really matter though ?

Yes? Because film scoring is extremely male and I'm sure there's women out there who deserve to have a chance to get a big movie like this. If women headlining movies and directing them is important, scoring should be as well.

 

Quote

A 2018 study by the University of Southern California revealed that for the top 100 fictional films at the box office every year from 2007 to 2017, only 16 female composers were hired, compared with more than 1,200 men.

-

Another report, from the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film, showed that of the top 250 films at the domestic box office in 2018, 94 percent were scored by men.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/movies/female-film-composers.html

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind the Balfe choice. People forget that, given COVID-19, it looks like he'll actually have a long time to work on the score. Hope he delivers something unique!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JB33 said:

People forget that, given COVID-19, it looks like he'll actually have a long time to work on the score. Hope he delivers something unique!

This is assuming he didn't already complete the score, and the announcement just came late

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TMP said:

This is assuming he didn't already complete the score, and the announcement just came late

Which, according to the guy running Hans Zimmer's website and is a reliable source for any info on him or other RCP composers, he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Which, according to the guy running Hans Zimmer's website and is a reliable source for any info on him or other RCP composers, he did.

 

But was it recorded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AJG said:

 

But was it recorded?

Yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking forward to this film whne it is released in 2021.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.