Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

6 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I am starting to come around to what @Eric Skywalker is saying — but it probably hinges on Beijing.   

Opening with one of the biggest markets out of commission is a much easier lift than opening without *both* of the two biggest markets.

Yeah digital US release and theatrical OS release is a good choice since VOD in the US is 40% of box office revenue, but there are a couple of OS markets where VOD is very low like China,Mexico and Brazil. And there is no timeline when they’ll get the pandemic under control there or when they will re-open theaters (in China’s case)

On 7/12/2020 at 12:37 PM, Valonqar said:

Does this has any hope of 1B in November? I stopped following covid-19 long time ago but I was predicting 1B way before the trailer. I think it had a legit chance then but I don't know what are expectations given the virus.

I don't think there will be any 1B movies until 2022, at the earliest. It certainly won't happen this year and next year isn't looking good. The prognosis on long term COVID resistance is still cloudy, so that makes it difficult to project when people will resume doing things involving large crowds. Furthermore, there's a high risk of AMC and other domestic theater chains going bankrupt. If theater count drops substantially that's going to have a massive impact on potential hauls.

The short version, a 1B movie may not happen for a while.

• Like 3

On 7/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, doublejack said:

I don't think there will be any 1B movies until 2022, at the earliest. It certainly won't happen this year and next year isn't looking good. The prognosis on long term COVID resistance is still cloudy, so that makes it difficult to project when people will resume doing things involving large crowds. Furthermore, there's a high risk of AMC and other domestic theater chains going bankrupt. If theater count drops substantially that's going to have a massive impact on potential hauls.

The short version, a 1B movie may not happen for a while.

That's a really good analysis. Thanks. Sucks but it looks like that's where everything is heading. 

17 hours ago, stracki said:

I guess it means: If the film screens in an IMAX theatre (whenever this will be), 30 minutes of it will be presented in the bigger aspect ratio

Damn covid-19. I would love to see BW in IMAX then but my dad banned the family from gong to the cinema this year period. :sadno:

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Damn covid-19. I would love to see BW in IMAX then but my dad banned the family from gong to the cinema this year period. :sadno:

You still have a shot, it even being released this year is far from certain with how things are going.

3 minutes ago, Eric Sparrow said:

PSA because I already saw some of you goofy dudes here being fooled by this

True but also from a Disney+ worker: “we’ve put in enough work that it’s not a one-off” which is a great point why do all that work for one film. 

By November I could see this movie could have ok theatrical release world wide but still far from the absolute best potential. Question is would Disney be inclined to delay this further or release at all costs like Tenet is going with or go with Mulan route and release on Disney plus may be after 3 weeks of partial release in domestic markets. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

By November I could see this movie could have ok theatrical release world wide but still far from the absolute best potential. Question is would Disney be inclined to delay this further or release at all costs like Tenet is going with or go with Mulan route and release on Disney plus may be after 3 weeks of partial release in domestic markets. 

why not postpone it to the Eternals' release date after the vaccine is out. I understand Disney has to put out something this year and there is Mulan.