grim22

Battle of the Sexes | Fox Searchlight | Based on the Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs tennis match. Emma Stone and Steve Carrell star. Alan Cumming joins.

Oh shit, this is getting very good reactions from Telluride; Stone might get another nomination :ohmygod:  I think Fox Searchlight will pull a similar release pattern as Gifted and go wide in the second weekend. This could have some staying power throughout October.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh shit, this is getting very good reactions from Telluride; Stone might get another nomination :ohmygod:  I think Fox Searchlight will pull a similar release pattern as Gifted and go wide in the second weekend. This could have some staying power throughout October.

I'll wait for reviews but yeah, Stone is getting great reactions for this so far on Twitter. I might remove Dench from my predictions from earlier and put her in instead since this movie should be a bigger deal (though we'll have reactions/reviews for Victoria & Abdul soon from Venice too).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'll wait for reviews but yeah, Stone is getting great reactions for this so far on Twitter. I might remove Dench from my predictions from earlier and put her in instead since this movie should be a bigger deal (though we'll have reactions/reviews for Victoria & Abdul soon from Venice too).

I don't think Dench is happening anymore. There are too many interesting choices this year in Actress.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't think Dench is happening anymore. There are too many interesting choices this year in Actress.

Dench is an Academy favorite (7 nominations in total) and it does seem like the kind of role they would typically recognize. We just have to wait and see if her film will be a big deal or not. Best Actor is the only category this year so far that doesn't seem like a total mess, though.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dench is an Academy favorite (7 nominations in total) and it does seem like the kind of role they would typically recognize. We just have to wait and see if her film will be a big deal or not. Best Actor is the only category this year so far that doesn't seem like a total mess, though.

Yeah, Actor is looking like a small playing field. The nominees will likely be five of six contenders (Oldman/DDL/Cranston/Chalamet/Washington/Hanks) with an outside chance of Bardem and Garfield, though the people who saw mother! the other day don't think Bardem has a good shot at getting nominated and Breathe is apparently mediocre. Tbh Amazon could probably move Carell up to Lead for Last Flag Flying.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure Judi Dench was nominated for Queen Victoria when Mrs Brown was released, they're not going to nominate her for the same role!

I think Battle of the Sexes will be a decent hit for Fox Searchlight, they've regained their mojo thanks to Gifted and this will do well too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hey hey hey cate blanchett was nominated for playing queen lizzy twice.

Yeah but no one has yet to touch the OG Paul Newman for winning an Oscar for playing the same character in a sequel (after being nommed the first time around).

Erhlich gave it a 2,5/5 and his letterboxd review (which is an excerpt of his full review) talks about how this was made by those folks who were sure Hillary would win. I'm not sure how that correlates to the movie since I didn't bother reading the full review.

Anyway, I have pretty high expectations for this. I loved Ruby Sparks and LMS is literally one of my all time favorites. LMS was the one movie that got me thinking 'hey this cinema thing might be my shit'.

• Like 1

Seeing lots of TV spots again today during the U.S. open, which is to be expected.

Here are a bunch of first reactions from Telluride which were posted at goldderby:

Battle of the Sexes First Reactions

Sasha Stone: Battle of the Sexes is absolutely brilliant start to finish. Career best for Emma Stone. Loved. Loved. Loved.

David Ehrlich: BATTLE OF THE SEXES so closely parallels the 2016 election you half expect the Russians to hack Billie Jean’s serve. shame about the ending.

Richard Lawson: BATTLE OF THE SEXES: Bright, rousing, intermittently hokey sports drama. Would watch two hours of Emma Stone and Andrea Riseborough flirting

Kristopher Tapley: “Battle of the Sexes” is good! More emotional than expected.

Scott Menzel: Battle of the Sexes is the feel good female empowerment films we need right now. Emma Stone congrats on another Oscar nomination

Alicia Malone: BATTLE OF THE SEXES: made my heart sour & my eyes brim with tears. A feel good true story you wouldn’t believe if it weren’t true

J Don Birnam: Battle of the Sexes will win at TIFF and if submitted for Comedy at Globes, there too. Must see. Emma fantastic

Tomris Laffly: Moved/inspired beyond words by Battle of the Sexes. Instant winner! Equal rights/equal pay for women! Love is love! Woo hoo!

Scott Feinberg: BATTLES OF THE SEXES is a battle of fine performances by Emma Stone and Steve Carell, in a film that’s timely, entertaining and moving.

Gregory Ellwood: Battle of the Sexes first two acts are really disappointing last act and ending are great.

Mara Reinstein: BATTLE OF THE SEXES: wonderful, compelling. I have heart of stone and I was v emotional at the end. Yeah girls. Yeah Billy Jean!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1