CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | 10 MAY 2019 | Pika Pika

Even if this movie underperforms in the states, it’s guaranteed to make big money in places like China, while MPR is a musical that never would’ve stood a chance outside of the U.S., the U.K. and maybe Japan. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

I don’t see how this movie underperforms in America 

there’s been 1 good family friendly movie this year and that’s how to train your dragon 3.

this movie is perfect for people who grew up playing Pokemon in late 90s and have introduce it their kids 

it’s really in all sector movie 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

there’s been 1 good family friendly movie this year and that’s how to train your dragon 3.

having every kids film this year underperform will help this a lot. families hungry for something their kids actually want to see.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

having every kids film this year underperform will help this a lot. families hungry for something their kids actually want to see.

Yeah it should definitely help. Especially with Memorial Day 4 day weekend with big family crowds. 2 weeks after release. If the movie wom is good. Legs should be very good 

21 minutes ago, Avatree said:

16 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah it should definitely help. Especially with Memorial Day 4 day weekend with big family crowds. 2 weeks after release. If the movie wom is good. Legs should be very good 

I’m not sure about legs but it should be fine until Pets 2. As even though I still think Aladdin will be big, I still think it’ll underperform and Pikachu third weekend which is when Aladdin opens is a holiday.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 12:11 PM, DAJK said:

Ya dude but that's a matter of opinion. I'm not trying to make assumptions, but I assume you're a fan of the property right? I really doubt this will appeal far enough beyond the fanbase for this to reach "cultural zeitgeist" level success like something like Avengers. 

Speaking as someone who's absolutely not a fan of Pokemon, and who's only seen two PG films in the last four years, this is easily my most anticipated film of this year, even ahead of Endgame. And I doubt that all these great trailer reactions in front of various movies consist entirely of Pokemon fans.

Having watched over 400 reaction videos of the second trailer (99% positive), and about the same number for the first trailer (80% positive), I can say that the main selling points for non-fans of the series are, in order: Ryan Reynolds, the fun/funny vibe of the movie and the Pokemon designs, Pikachu in particular. Looking back, I don't think there could've been a better choice than Reynolds for the role. Sure, it's funny dubbing in Danny Devito's lines from IASIP, but this is obviously a family film, so I'm not sure what a PG Devito brings to the table more than a PG Reynolds.

Heard there doing a Pokemon go event where you can catch detective pikachu in 2nd week of May 

I know people think Pokemon go isn’t popular anymore but it’s still played by 70 million users to this day. Will be good promo 

• Astonished 2

1 hour ago, Perfundle said:

Speaking as someone who's absolutely not a fan of Pokemon, and who's only seen two PG films in the last four years, this is easily my most anticipated film of this year, even ahead of Endgame. And I doubt that all these great trailer reactions in front of various movies consist entirely of Pokemon fans.

Having watched over 400 reaction videos of the second trailer (99% positive), and about the same number for the first trailer (80% positive), I can say that the main selling points for non-fans of the series are, in order: Ryan Reynolds, the fun/funny vibe of the movie and the Pokemon designs, Pikachu in particular. Looking back, I don't think there could've been a better choice than Reynolds for the role. Sure, it's funny dubbing in Danny Devito's lines from IASIP, but this is obviously a family film, so I'm not sure what a PG Devito brings to the table more than a PG Reynolds.

I appreciate your objectivity on the subject, and do believe that, while maybe not in the majority, the quality of trailers will indeed entice some non-fans to see the movie.

But, may I ask, would you care to watch 400 reaction videos to a trailer for a movie you're not a fan of? I mean, I probably only watched 3 or 4 reaction videos to The Force Awakens trailer over the course of a year, and that's a follow up to my most beloved series of all time. 400 reaction videos seems a bit overkill, especially for a movie of which you apparently have no previous interest in prior to the trailers. 

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

But, may I ask, would you care to watch 400 reaction videos...

2 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Heard there doing a Pokemon go event where you can catch detective pikachu in 2nd week of May 

I know people think Pokemon go isn’t popular anymore but it’s still played by 70 million users to this day. Will be good promo 

Add another $70M to the OW. That's almost unfair to other movies. :ohmygod:

• Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

To me it seems like they’ve created a film that not only caters to the hardcore Pokémon fans but also caters to the general public. I’d honestly be completely surprised if the family crowd doesn’t eat this movie up. 

If Endgame presales crashed ticket sites, then presales for this could crash the entire internet

Edited by That One Guy

6 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Are they going to make it catch-able only in movie theaters? 

1 hour ago, MuffinMan said:

Are they going to make it catch-able only in movie theaters? 

I think so but it’s more about the awareness and promotion of it. 

Detective Pikachu is at 92 900 on maoyan  with 31 days left

aladdin and John wick are below 900 on maoyan. Nobody cares about those 2 movies in China 

so Detective Pikachu will have a good 3 weeks run until godzilla in China 

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

DP tickets go on sale tomorrow at noon. :) 

Get you’re servers ready. The internet is about to crash xD

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious on what should we expect. Will it play more like a family film, a high profile Disney remake or a fan base frontloaded one?

tbh I'm expecting BATB type presale run, where it starts very strong and then just keeps going. Eventually having normal family increases during the week. 

You can bet that if theatres sellout quick, then people will jump aboard and buy tickets early

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious on what should we expect. Will it play more like a family film, a high profile Disney remake or a fan base frontloaded one?

My guess is more like a high profile Disney remake. It’s why I’m so high on its box office potential. 

• Thanks 1