CaptainJackSparrow

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu | 10 MAY 2019 | Pika Pika

Just now, Nova said:

Yea but Aquaman still had a 47% with the top critics…..

More top critics can jive with what Aquaman was then what DP is imo

This seems like exactly the kind of movie where reviews are unlikely to sway anyone who has already made up their mind about whether they want to see it or not to me so I'm not sure why anyone would go nuts over the RT score.

The first Pokémon movie has a 15% rotten tomatoes rating and fans love it so much 

it’s fine. It won’t effect a damn thing 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This seems like exactly the kind of movie where reviews are unlikely to sway anyone who has already made up their mind about whether they want to see it or not to me so I'm not sure why anyone would go nuts over the RT score.

I agree but I'm just interested to see why there is such a disparity between top critics and regular critics. Top critics have this at Venom levels of bad whereas regular critics at the moment have it fresh 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

If I had to guess now with my revised update I'm thinking 70-80 OW/230-240 Dom/600-700 WW.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea but Aquaman still had a 47% with the top critics…..

I think it's just small sample size. If you took Aquaman's first 11 top critic reviews you'd get 3/11 fresh as well.

Right now the non-top critics are giving it an absurd 86.2% fresh, which I don't think is sustainable, especially since there's so many 6/10's in there. On the other hand, top critics currently make up 27.5% of all reviews, when they normally made up only half of that. So even if the non-top critics' RT score drops a bit, their sheer number should be able to balance out the remaining top critics (and even there I expect the top critic RT score to go up a bit).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Nova said:

@Minnale101 do you have an update on China? 

980k OD in 12 and half hours with 2700 added

its good but needs more shows 

Edited by Minnale101
  • Like 1

China had a preview screen yesterday and it’s positive from what I read 

also having another today. So it’s good to see where wom is 

also Warner Bros is confident in product to keep doing screenings before release 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

True.

JW:FK made $417M & $1.309B WW and it’s reception didn’t stop that film.

Though i don’t think families (that don’t often go on internet) or GA cares that much about what the RT-critic rating is for DP. If this film looks appealing to them and their kids....they’ll go no matter what.

It still has the novelty of being the first ever legit live action Pokemon-movie.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Up to 71% 

hopefully these “top” critics are done reviewing movie 

everyone else seems to like it 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

The first Pokémon movie has a 15% rotten tomatoes rating and fans love it so much 

it’s fine. It won’t effect a damn thing 

That movie is awful and fans only like it because they saw it when they were 5.

• Like 1

Just now, AJG said:

That movie is awful and fans only like it because they saw it when they were 5.

That’s might be the case for me because I loved it as a kid but rewatching it. 

The whole movie rushed but still the ost and climax scene was top notch and still worth a watch 

12 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Up to 71% 

hopefully these “top” critics are done reviewing movie 

everyone else seems to like it 

With their lame puns hopefully.

The movie isn't going to go below 70% unless non-top critics suddenly start hating the movie. They seem to be loving the movie unlike top critics atm. 87% from non-top critics. Top critics still make up 27% of all reviews right now. If the proportion of top critics goes down to 14% (which is the proportion for bug budget blockbusters when they reach 300+ reviews) while ratings from both top and non-stop critics stay the same, Pikachu will be sitting at 79%.

Should be getting more non-top critic reviews tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

The movie isn't going to go below 70% unless non-top critics suddenly start hating the movie. They seem to be loving the movie unlike top critics atm. 87% from non-top critics. Top critics still make up 27% of all reviews right now. If the proportion of top critics goes down to 14% (which is the proportion for bug budget blockbusters when they reach 300+ reviews) while ratings from both top and non-stop critics stay the same, Pikachu will be sitting at 79%.

Should be getting more non-top critic reviews tonight.

We may legitimately have our first ever Certified Fresh video game movie. Not getting my hopes up too high, but that would be a sight to see.

4 minutes ago, dakus said:

We may legitimately have our first ever Certified Fresh video game movie. Not getting my hopes up too high, but that would be a sight to see.

It would be hilarious if Detective Pikachu managed to squeak by being certified fresh because of the disparity between top critics and the masses of regular critics. I don't think it will be but I'm betting on it not dipping below 60. 

70% for a video game movie, a children’s movie, and live action anime is great.

Calm down. Nobody expected this thing to be perfection. I’ve seen nothing that indicates this movie being more than a pleasant, forgettable, cash grab.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

The amount of people there, holy crap.

I’m expecting good numbers from Mexico. 

Pokemon is very popular there. Also big Mexican actor Omar Chappero is in movie